Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are your favorite names?

Hey....I'd just love to know what your favorite names are at the moment. Top ten for boys and girls. Maybe you could comment on the names of the person who posted before you and then post your own list. Here are mine:

BOYS

Homer
    Atticus
    Richard
    Asher
    Wilhelm
    Theseus
    Maxwell
    Harvey
    Cornelius
    Conrad

GIRLS

Estella
    Adelaida "Ada"
    Daisy
    Zelda
    Emmeline
    Aviva
    Zipporah
    Octavia
    Kaia
    Violet

Re: What are your favorite names?

Okay, of all the names you listed for boys, I like Atticus, Richard, and Maxwell the best. My sister named her bird Richard. It is due for a comeback. My husband had a friend named Cornelius in college. Sometimes people called him Neil and sometimes they called him Corn! He was a character so the name really fit him. He was lots of fun.
    From your girls list I like Estelle better than Estella for some reason, Daisy, Violet, and Adelaide are all really nice. I like the nickname Addie.
    Some of my favorite names lately are:
    boys:
    William
    Archer (if my last name were different and I would call him Archie)
    Colin
    Oliver
    Vincent
    Theodore (Theo)
    Charles

girls:
    Celeste
    Cecily
    Daphne
    Lucy
    Alice
    Eleanor
    Iris

Girls

*Jasmine (so exotic and feminine.)
    *Danica (It's unique without sounding to weird to me.)
    *Annabelle (means "grace and beauty)
    *Allegra (I like this because I'm a ballerina and my husband is a musician.)
    *Vera (It's a bit antiquated, but it sounds very sweet to me.)

Boys

*Tristan (I just like the way it sounds.)
    *James (A good classic name)
    *Heath (I loved the character "Heathcliff" from Emily Brontes book.)
    *Quinn (I would choose this as a middle.)
    *Micah (not overused like "Michael")

Girl runners up

*Stacia
    *Janna
    *Cassia
    *Deva (pronounced Day-vuh)
    *Monica

Boys runners up

*Michael
    *Steven
    *Aidan
    *Devon
    *Dane

lola Guest

Susan, I am charmed by Archer, Wiliam, Colin, Oliver & Vincent from your boys and Cecily, Daphne, Lucy, Alice, Eleanor & Iris from your girls. Cecily is my own #1 name!

lalalinda, Danica, Annabel (spelled this way only, Annabelle is far too frilly), Allegra & Vera are gorgeous girls. Tristan, James & Micah are my favorites of your boys.

Mine:
    Cecily, Ottoline, Beatrix, Pomeline, Mathilda, Lucretia, Jemima, Maud, Zuleika & Florence are my favorite girls.
    Cosmo, Cassius, Remy, August, Lucius, Clarence, Alasdair, Rafael, Oscar & Ignatius are my favorite boys.

Lola, you think of such lovely and unique names! I have to say which of yours are my favorites. I am setting aside the problems of my last name which starts with a "ch" and ends in a "y". And I am also setting aside the problem that my husband is the world's most boring baby namer. Of your list for girls I love: Cecily (of course), Beatrix, Mathilda, Jemima, and Florence. Given time, I would probably get used to and then start to love the other ones. Boys: Cosmo, Remy (nice! hadn't thought of that!), Oscar, I love Lukas more than Lucius-I guess my taste is tame-and Clarence is very cute, too. What about Otto? I love August. Not used to the others, yet.

lola Guest

Thanks Susan! Otto's a darling but my other half thinks of the stoner bus driver from the Simpson's only when he hears Otto. "My name is Otto and I like to get blotto" is what he hears when I suggest Otto. Too bad too, because I think he's prefect. Sporty, zippy, happy and strong. I should make a post on Otto in my blog sometime soon. Might be able to sell him then!

It's funny, just reading the bit about your surname, my brain thought, wow, Eleanor would be awesome with that surname. Daphne would be stellar too. Alice & Lucy (while lovely) might be a bit sss-sy wiith your surname and Iris might be brief enough to work well. If he's unadventurous and you can live with a "boring" classic like William in front, try incorporating some more unusual names in the middle. example: William Apollo has long been a favorite pairing of my own. I love the sun drenched feel of Apollo with classic William. You might also want to toss the Dutch version of William at him, Willem (will-em, two crisp syllables, no washy drawn out - yam sound). I think it sounds better with the elements in your surname (I'm saying Chesney [like Kenny] in my head as a "placer") I could probably toss a thousand unusual boys names at you for middle use, my other half prefers uncommon and it's all I can do to keep him from naming a boy Ptolemy Tiberius Faust!

Lalalinda, I have a reply for you. I really love the name Michael even though it is so overused. If I met a guy named Michael when I was a teenager, he was automatically a little cuter just for having that name. In high school I was in love with a guy named Stephen and the cute boy next door was named James! Vera, Annabel and Stassia are my favorites of the girls and that's how I might spell them. Annabel is tricky with my last name which starts with a "ch". You could end up with a very burpy little Anabelch!
    Lola, I am glad you love Otto! My husband would not like Eleanor or Daphne, but I think I could make him like Eleanor eventually if I kept bugging him. He also would not like Willem. Last night I asked him what names he likes for girls, and he said Susan, Laura (daughter's name), Elizabeth (daughter's middle name), then there was quiet. "What else?" I asked. Uh, Ann. Then, "What is Kate short for?" This is a man who graduated from a very fine liberal arts college, mind you.
    But it doesn't matter, I am too old to have any more babies. I will just have pets. He will be happy with Daphne or whatever for little kitties and doggies.
    Do you love the name Thomas? I adore it beyond all reason. Thomas Oliver, lovely!
    My husband likes really boring middle names, too. But he let me choose our son's middle name Sebastian all by myself. I know that Sebastian is similar to one of your son's names. Both Sebastian and Simon are extremely gorgeous! Of course I had a big part in choosing our son's first name, Peter, too. I am not a name doormat wife!

I wanted some opinions on a name that I have always loved; Lolita. I love the way that it sounds and think that it is a very pretty, classic, feminine name, but I also know that many people have a very negative connotation of it because of the book. I of course don't want my daughter thought of as a sexually precocious young girl, but I really love the name. I'm thinking of going with Margaret Lolita Rose and calling her Lolita. Lola and Lo for short. What are your thoughts? Is it a great enough name in your opinion to get over other people's perceptions?

I'm a total name nerd ... I have so many. I tend to think of them in first/middle or sibling combinations ...

Iris Vivian
    Stella Madelyn
    Oliver George
    Liam Tobias

Siblings -
    Cora and Noah
    Genevieve and Bennett
    Gillian and Elliott

And the name combo I'm realllllly loving right now is Tess Aubrienne (however, Tess was my mother-in-laws Doberman's name).

Ironically, I'm not using any of those ... they're not DH's favorites. Lol!

Iris Vivian is a beautiful combination!

My favorites right now:

Girls:
    Carrie
    Kate (full name Katherine)
    Jovie
    Josie
    Neva
    Isabelle
    Lanier
    Blair
    Sophia
    Pearce

Boys:
    Erickson
    Heald (more for a middle name)
    Ford
    Spencer
    Declan
    Lincoln
    Mercer
    Beckett
    Emory
    Emmett

As you can see, my tastes go a little bit of every where. I love names that are slightly different but could sound classic. I love my name (Sarah) but ran into about a million other Sarahs growing up. I want a name that has the same classic "grow with the kid" feel but that you aren't going to have too many of around. But not a name that makes someone go, "Dang kid, what were your parents thinking!" :)

A lot of these are family names (Carrie, Kate, Neva, Pearce, Erickson, Heald, Ford).