Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parents in Britain, Ireland, Australia: What's up?

In the interest of making nameberry as current as it can be throughout the English speaking world, what names are popular where you live? What's hot, not, trendy, tired, different from how it seems in the U.S.? We'd love to hear from you!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Re: Parents in Britain, Ireland, Australia: What's up?

I lived in Australia for over a year (early 2007 until 2008) and met quite a few babies and children so I thought I could post though I'm not from Australia. I met many girls named Chloe. About 18 of them, actually. They were all between 0 and 18 years old. I also met a three year old Kloe and several little boys named Hamish which I thought was weird because I had never heard of that name before. I met three little boys named Hamish, all younger than 5 and a 20 year old Hamish. I met three girls named Tiarne (tee-AHRN) of which I had never heard as well. They were all in their early teens (12-15 years old).

Names that I noticed were popular among young children (aged 0-5)

Ella
    Matilda
    Hayley (this was actually popular among 0-25 year olds and I've seen it spelled Hayley, Haylee, Hailey, Haley, Hayleigh, Haleigh, Haile and Hailee).
    Ava
    Lily
    Charlotte
    Thalia (more often spelled Tahlia and Talia, though)
    Brooke

Jack
    Joshua

yeah so pretty much what's popular in the US only that Charlotte, Matilda and Thalia are still underused in the US while hugely popular in Australia.

Very interesting. Thank you. Tiarne and Thalia are the ones to me that really are not used in the U.S. Any idea why these names are popular in Oz? Anyone able to shed light?
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Tahlia was number 44 in Australia in 2007, Talia was number 99 in 2005 but hasn't been in the top 100 since. Thalia never made the top 100 at all (source NSW popularity chart).

This explains why most girls I met with the name spelled it Tahlia. I do understand why it's popular, it has a lovely sound and meaning and reminds me a bit of popular names such as Olivia plus you could call her Tallie which reminds me of popular nicknames such as Maddie and Abbie. I actually think the name would be just as popular in the US if people had heard of it but I guess most people aren't familiar with it. Same with Aviva, I think it has huge potential to become popular but it just hasn't been disovered...yet. I guess they'd both get really popular if some celebrity used them. I'm not sure how it was discovered in Australia, maybe there's some Aussie celebrity named Tahlia?

Tiarne...how this became common is beyond me. I wish I would've asked one of the Tiarnes where it came from. I tried to find out more on the internet and someone told me that Tahnee was very popular in Australia and that they might be related. But I really don't know.

Thank you! We're going to need some native Australians to explain where Tiarne and Tahlia/Talia came from -- my suspicion is that there's some pop culture reference that you just can't get if you weren't there at a particular time, sort of like Addison being a Grey's Anatomy name. I await enlightenment!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

As an Australian onomastician I can safely say that the girls names Sophie, Ella, Emily, Mia, Chloe, Lily, Olivia, Isabella and Sienna are among some of the most popular and common names given to children over the past few years.

Emily has been a worldwide trend, Ella has been huge here, an Australian celebrity couple named their daughter Mia several years ago and Sienna could be seen as people naming after Sienna Miller as it was relatively unheard of until she came into the spotlight. Isabella has gained massive popularity after Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark used it for her daughter. Crown Princess Mary is from Australia and is very popular here.

Australian name trends tend to reflect what is happening in the US but are a year or two behind and to a lesser extent. In personal opinion I feel that Australian naming trends more closely reflect trends in the United Kingdom.

As for male names, Jack is outstandingly popular and common here and it considered a quintessential Aussie name possibly for it's connection the word Jackaroo, a man who works on a outback cattle station. Jack is also the name of a popular character on an Australian soapie called Home and Away (this show has also led rise to the name Matilda after a character named Matilda appeared on the show for several years before Heath Ledger's child) .The majority of popular boys names such as William, Thomas, Joshua and Samuel could be seen as rather traditional choices. Liam has been a rather popular name for many years.

The previous posters comments on Hamish reflect Australia's naming link to the UK where Hamish is a common name, perhaps not hugely popular but nothing odd to hear.

Thalia, while not hugely popular, has been consistent in the charts for years at around 50 or lower. A well loved national news presenter named her daughter this nearly 4 years ago. Talia, I believe is also an Australian Aboriginal word regarding water.

So while Australia may be influenced by name choices from the UK and the US we still have our own popular names influenced by Australian pop culture and celebrity.

I hope that helps.

Brilliant! Thank you so much. Very difficult to get this kind of inside cultural information, such as the name of the newscaster's daughter, from the outside. Very much appreciate the insight.
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Hi, so i know this tread is kinda old, but I just joined a few hours ago, and just wanted to let you know that I'm another Australian on board here!
    I live in the state of Victoria, and I have the 2008 Top 100 for my state right in front of me, so I thought I'd just add them in!

GIRLS: (1-20):
    Mia - Olivia - Chloe - Isabella - Charlotte - Ava - Sienna - Emily - Ella - Sophie - Ruby - Lily - Matilda - Grace - Amelia - Hannah - Zoe - Jessica - Emma - Lucy

BOYS (1-20):
    William - Jack - Thomas - Joshua - James - Lachlan - Oliver - Riley - Cooper - Noah - Ethan - Benjamin - Lucas - Samuel - Daniel - Max - Charlie - Alexander - Liam - Ryan

I agree with a pp that our naming style throughout the Top 100 more closesly resembles the choices of Britain than the US, with names like Zara, Imogen, Scarlett, Alice, Gemma, Amelie, Milla, and Poppy in the Top 100 for girls.

I find cultural differences fascinating, actually! People outside of Australia often wonder about Charli (#58 for girls) and the rather sudden uber popularity of Matilda!As well as Hamish & Lachlan in the boys section.

Top 20 most popular boys' names in Northern Ireland :
    Jack
    Matthew
    Daniel
    James
    Ryan
    Joshua
    Conor
    Thomas
    Dylan
    Charlie/Ethan

And girls' :
    Katie
    Sophie
    Grace
    Jessica
    Emma
    Lucy
    Emily
    Chloe
    Hannah
    Eva.

In Britain, where I live, Alice is a very, very popular choice, and Gabriella has been extremely popular among wealthier families for several years now.

Top 100 boys' names in Britain for 2008 :
    1 Jack

2 Oliver

3 Harry

4 Alfie

5 Charlie

6 Thomas

7 Joshua

8 Daniel

9 James

10 William

11 Lewis

12 George

13 Ryan

14 Ethan

15 Samuel

16 Dylan

17 Liam

18 Jake

19 Joseph

20 Jacob

21 Max; 22 Callum; 23 Tyler; 24 Luke; 25 Ben; 26 Matthew; 27 Jayden; 28 Adam; 29 Alex; 30 Archie

31 Alexander; 32 Riley; 33 Harvey; 34 Harrison; 35 Benjamin; 36 Logan; 37 Connor; 38 Oscar; 39 Cameron; 40 Lucas

41 Jamie; 42 Leo; 43 Rhys; 44 Sam; 45 Owen; 46 Nathan; 47 Mason; 48 Finley; 49 Henry; 50 Finlay

51 Aaron; 52 Noah; 53 Reece; 54 Isaac; 55 Toby; 56 Michael; 57 Theo; 58 Edward; 59 Freddie; 60 Kyle

61 David; 62 Leon; 63 Evan; 64 Kian; 65 Harley; 66 Brandon; 67 Bailey; 68 Aiden; 69 Kai; 70 Louis

71 Hayden; 72 Kieran; 73 Joe; 74 Ashton; 75 Taylor; 76 Bradley; 77 Josh; 78 Luca; 79 Jay; 80 Zak

81 John; 82 Billy; 83 Corey; 84 Ewan; 85 Blake; 86 Ellis; 87 Andrew; 88 Sean; 89 Robert; 90 Christopher

91 Zac; 92 Joel; 93 Morgan; 94 Jude; 95 Tom; 96 Aidan; 97 Sebastian; 98 Gabriel; 99 Finn; 100 Patrick.

And for girls :
    1 Olivia

2 Ruby

3 Grace

4 Emily

5 Jessica

6 Sophie

7 Chloe

8 Lily

9 Mia

10 Lucy

11 Amelia

12 Evie

13 Ella

14 Katie

15 Ellie

16 Summer

17 Charlotte

18 Megan

19 Hannah

20 Ava

21 Millie; 22 Amy; 23 Erin; 24 Emma; 25 Holly; 26 Freya; 27 Isabella; 28 Molly; 29 Daisy; 30 Abigail

31 Poppy; 32 Leah; 33 Isabelle; 34 Phoebe; 35 Isla; 36 Eva; 37 Brooke; 38 Sophia; 39 Jasmine; 40 Imogen

41 Lilly; 42 Caitlin; 43 Lauren; 44 Rebecca; 45 Amber; 46 Isabel; 47 Matilda; 48 Scarlett; 49 Paige; 50 Elizabeth

51 Madison; 52 Alice; 53 Georgia; 54 Bethany; 55 Anna; 56 Lola; 57 Keira; 58 Lacey; 59 Libby; 60 Gracie

61 Niamh; 62 Rosie; 63 Isobel; 64 Lexi; 65 Layla; 66 Tia; 67 Eve; 68 Sienna; 69 Maddison; 70 Sarah

71 Maisie; 72 Skye; 73 Zoe; 74 Amelie; 75 Abbie; 76 Eleanor; 77 Faith; 78 Nicole; 79 Zara; 80 Maya

81 Julia; 82 Alisha; 83 Lexie; 84 Aimee; 85 Connie; 86 Martha; 87 Courtney; 88 Alicia; 89 Lydia; 90 Victoria

91 Kiera; 92 Rachel; 93 Tilly; 94 Scarlet; 95 Harriet; 96 Rose; 97 Sofia; 98 Heidi; 99 Darcy; 100 Morgan.

Of course, it should be noted that this includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, so some names (Finn, Patrick, Caitlin) are not incredibly widely used in England itself.

Also, while some of these names are apparently popular, I have yet to meet a British Skye, Courtney, Zak or Mason ...

I hope this was helpful :D

Just to let you know, Isabella has been hugely popular in Australia for years before Princess Mary used it. In fact Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise named there daughter Isabella Jane back in the early 1990's.