Menu

Thread: Eleanor??

Eleanor??

I love love love the name Eleanor. Every time I see it, it feels like my baby's name, do you know what I mean? The only problem - my last name sounds like Waggoner. We pronounce it with 3 syllables, although a lot of people pronounce it like Wag-ner.

Is Eleanor terrible with this last name?

Re: Eleanor??

Eleanor certainly isn't the best fit with Waggoner - it's rather matchy and rhymes. There are few related names that you may want to consider - Eleanora is much less repetitive, and Leonor(e) (lee-oh-nor) has a slightly different end sound in my accent than Eleanor (longer nor sound) which doesn't sound as bad. You could also use Elina - the -ee-na ending isn't as repetitive as the ah-nor ending.

I love the name Eleanor and my mother-in-law's middle name is Eleanor. It means light, so it has a lovely meaning. Yes, I agree that Eleanor doesn't sound too great with your last name, but you could call her Eloise or Heloise. I agree that Leonora is especially lovely, too. You could call her Lena or Nora for short. I think Eloise/Heloise might have a different meaning than Eleanor if it matters.

You could call her Ellie for short to solve the problem. With the middle name between them, it should flow better too. If you don't have a second favorite, I say try and keep it...its a nice name and not too common...a shame to have to let it go due to your last name.

What middle names do you like with it?

Isn't that a bummer? I think that Eleanor is due for a comeback, but it just doesn't go very well with your last name. One of my faves is Jane (it's so nice and simple) but Jane Smith? Not nice to the little one. How about Ella or Nora for some of the same feel? And whenever I think of Eleanor I think of Evelyn, kind of the same vibe . . . .

gosh, it's such a shame when your favorites don't go with your last name! mine ends in -er, so that ruled out a TON of names! I'd hate to say not to use it, but the only suggestion I have is Eleanora. It's almost exactly the same, but kind of fixes the problem.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    gosh, it's such a shame when your favorites don't go with your last name! mine ends in -er, so that ruled out a TON of names! I'd hate to say not to use it, but the only suggestion I have is Eleanora. It's almost exactly the same, but kind of fixes the problem.
    Eleanora-great idea! You could call her Ellie or Nora or Ella or Lana or I think even Lena for short, why not?

How about changing it a bit to Eleanora Waggoner? That fits much better and you still have the option of all those cute nicknames ... Ellie, Ella, Lena and Nora.