Menu

Brother for Asher and Micah?

We're expecting our third boy. Both of our older sons have biblical names with meanings that are important to us - Asher Zachary and Micah Joel.

With our third boy on the way, we're a little stuck. Many of our friends have also chosen sort of cool, not weird but not overly common, names from the Bible. Eli, Levi, Cade, Noah, Johan, Judah, Samuel, Caleb, etc.

I really like the name Zephaniah, or possibly just Zephan. Thoughts? Middle name ideas? This name means "protected or hidden by God" which is really cool, because I've had a complicated pregnancy and our little guy has been totally protected.

Any other ideas?

lola Guest

Re: Brother for Asher and Micah?

Well, first off, I have to say Congrats! I love Asher & Micah as siblings. Zephaniah is really great but a bit more offbeat than his brothers. That may bother him in alter years and I'm not fond of shorteneing Biblical names overmuch (Abraham/Abram/Bram even bothers me). And Zephan's going to be mistaken for Stephen quite often, a lot of folks will think he's got it spelled wrong!

Some other suggestions:
    The aforementioned Stephen, uncommon but familiar and fits well with Asher & Micah.
    Joah
    Simon/Simeon (Simeon would be fantasic with Asher & Micah)
    Asa
    Mordecai
    Reuben
    Saul
    Amos
    Gideon
    Boaz
    Abel
    Ezra
    Samson (I realise he'd probably end up Sam, but how much more distinctive in full is Samson?)
    Solomon
    Raphael
    Ephraim

Anything there jump out at you? I hope it helps some!

What about
    Malachi
    Nehemiah
    Seth
    Job(J?b)
    Mathias

Sorry for repeats! :-)

Abel
    Abraham
    Abram (Abraham's original name in the Bible...not a nickname for Abraham)
    Benjamin
    Ezekiel (nn Zeke)
    Gabriel
    Gideon
    Isaac (close to Micah's sound, though)
    Levi
    Lev
    Nathaniel
    Simon
    Samson
    Tobiah (then again, it has Micah's ending)
    Tobias

Good luck! :-)

What about Aram Isaiah? Love Asher and Micah.
    Ariel Solomon? Ari Solomon? Jonah Matan?
    I have a student who is named "Aish" which means fire or flame. I think that name is really cool. Maybe Jonah Aish? You'd have a cool fire and water theme going there.

# TSEPHANYAH (?????????): Hebrew name meaning "hidden by God" or "protected by God." In the bible, this is the name of several characters, including the ninth of the minor prophets. Zephaniah is the English form.

Looking at the Hebrew it seems to say Seth to me. The boy's name Seth. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "set, appointed"

Seth Emmanuel
    Seth Joseph

It even reminds me of Ethan

Ethan Thomas
    Ethan Titus
    Ethan Matthew

It also reminds me of Stephen

Stephen Lucas
    Stephen Noah
    Stephen Timothy
    Psalm 23

I love Asher and Micah. Zephaniah is rarer than his brothers and also more outright biblical. Asher and Micah are recognizable as biblical figures but Zephaniah is maybe less accessible if that makes any sense. I think maybe that's where you were going with Zephan. Zephan fits better but I don't know if it is an acceptable variation. I like pp's suggestion of Jonah but it shares Micah's ending. How about:
    Ephraim: fruitful
    Ezekiel: God strengthens
    Gabriel: strong man of God
    Gideon: feller (not the best meaning for you, probably, but I do love this name)
    Jeremiah/Jeremy: God has uplifted
    Lemuel: belonging to God
    Reuben: behold, a son
    Saul: prayed for
    Simeon: He has heard
    Timon: honor, esteem

Good luck!

Asher, Micah, Gabriel fits so well for me.