Menu

brother or sister for Sydney Marie

Glad we aren't the only ones struggling with this. I am due any time and don't feel as if we have really found the right names. Boy names are definitely harder for us. We'd appreciate any suggestions. Our last name is a two-syllable german name starting with M, however we our roots are also english and irish.

We are leaning towards Riley or Rylee if it's a girl but are a little concerned about its popularity. We like names that are a little distinctive but not too off the wall. For boy names, we like Cooper, Max, Gus or Dashiell.

Thanks so much for your ideas...!

Re: brother or sister for Sydney Marie

I love the name Cooper!

lola Guest

Indeed Riley/Rylee and it's alternate spellings are quite popular these days. Form your boys, I'm quite partial to Gus. (August is on my own boys list. I find Gus so warm & charming! Max is as popular as Riley/Rylee etc. and Dashiell charms me to my toes. :)
    Would you entertain a longer form for Max & Gus? Just so they have an option or two as they get older. Always nice to have options, I think.

Max:
    Maximilian
    Maxwell
    Maxim
    Maxen
    Maximus
    you could aslo name him Magnus and nn him Max, if you wished.

Gus:

August
    Angus
    Augustus
    Fergus
    Augustin

you could even name him Constantine and nickname him Gus, if you wanted.

Dashiell August would be my pairing of choice fro your boys. Handsome, suave and Dash is a cool nickname option, especially if he's a typical boy!

Now, for a sister to Sydney Marie, you could go either way; a bit more feminine or unisex, here are options for both directions:

Celia
    Lily
    Anna
    Emma
    Willa
    Lucy
    Elsa
    Tessa
    Amelia
    Samantha
    Margery
    Suzanna/Susanna
    Frances
    Ava
    Mallory
    Yancey
    Landry
    Everly
    Adair
    Jocelyn
    Allison
    Lorraine
    Olivia
    Constance
    Grace
    Elizabeth
    Justine
    Sophie
    Chloe
    Reese
    Valerie
    Vivien
    Sylvie

I hope that helps!

I would be wary of using Riley/Rylee at the moment due to it's popularity - it's a fairly 'new' name for girls, and has got popular fairly quickly, which may lead to it ending up sounding quite dated. I personally find the meaning of 'rye clearing' to be a little unimaginative and uninspiring. Some alternatives to Riley in sound include: Rhiannon, Rhia, Rivka, Mariah, Ailie, Amelie, Lorelei, Aurelie, Cecily, Julie, Rosalie and Ottilie.

Max, Gus and Dashiell are all very handsome boys names - though I think Gus works better as a nickname (I like it as a nn of Augustine and Angus). Cooper, like Riley, has a rather unimaginative meaning of 'barrel maker', being a professional surname.

Some other names that may appeal:
    Girls:
    Rowan/Rowena
    Kensa
    Adrienne
    Neve
    Lila
    Jillian
    Georgia
    Philippa

Boys:
    Jude
    Asher
    Leo
    Craig
    Finn (Fintan/Finnian)
    Eli
    Roman
    Theo(dore)
    Milo

Hm. Do not go with other “place” names because that would seem off.
    Eloise would be cute
    Arabella would be nice. She could go by Bella without it being the basic Isabella