Menu

Thread: Too serious?

Too serious?

I'd like to name my son Kane Kossack (first, middle) which is a compilation of family names. Is this too much to bear for one child? Other ideas: Kane Holiday (he's due around Christmas) or Kane Cassell (chosen by dad).

lola Guest

Re: Too serious?

Quote Originally Posted by hkane87
    I'd like to name my son Kane Kossack (first, middle) which is a compilation of family names. Is this too much to bear for one child? Other ideas: Kane Holiday (he's due around Christmas) or Kane Cassell (chosen by dad).

Well, Kane's not something I'm fond of, sound wise it reminds me of Cain, in the Bible. Seeing as how it appeals to you, let me see. I'm not a fan of the repeated K sounds. To me, K is a feminine sound (since Kay is it's spell out and it's feminine) (Jay is masculine, just so you get my thinking)

So by default, Kane Holiday gets my vote. But I feel Kane Holiday is asking for Candy cane jokes, at least in middle school, so I would like to suggest some Christmassy feeling , actual boys names that would compliment Kane and suit him, even as an adult:

Kane Samuel
    Kane Christian/Christopher (gives you that K sound!)
    Kane Sterling
    Kane Nicholas/Nicolas
    Kane Timothy
    Kane Joseph
    Kane Gabriel
    Kane Emmanuel
    Kane Douglas (for the tree!)
    Kane Clement
    Kane Clarence (for the angel in "it's a Wonderful Life!)
    Kane Balthazar (for one of the Three Kings)
    Kane Caspar
    Kane Melchoir (The other two of the Three Kings)

I realise these may not be anything near what you're looking for, I'm just tossing out Christmassy options. I hope you understand where I'm coming from, and I really hope it helps!

I agree with Lola that Kane reminds me of Cain, the Bible's first murderer, and of canes/walking sticks and caning - hitting someone with a cane. None of those really incite me to want to name a child Kane, though it may have personal resonance for you.

I'm not a fan of the repeating K (or C) sounds - if you want to use Kossack or Cassell then I recommend using them as a third middle name (eg Kane John Kossack) to break up the repeating K sound.

Lola's given you a great list of holiday names - I just want to add Noel to that list, and Stephen if you end up with a Boxing Day child.

This is wonderful input! Thank you both for your suggestions - my husband's name is actually Joseph and that name is in the running, too. It has been a true challenge for me to acknowledge everyone that I love by naming my child after them...which seems like an impossible task! From an Irish perspective, which is the origin of the name (and me, too), Kane means 'beautiful,' which I do believe he is this already!
    I like the sounds of Clement and Christian, too.

Thank you, again! I will let you know what I choose!