Menu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bostonian girl Guest

The worst/most ridiculous starbaby names

There are all sorts of candidates for this category, I think. I have to wonder what Jermaine Jackson, for example, was thinking when he named his kid Jermajesty! And then we have Audio Science, and Moxie CrimeFighter (apologies to a poster under a different topic who loved this, but I think it opens the poor kid up to merciless teasing from future classmates), and whoever it was who named their kid Pilot. And I just cannot get my head around Gwyneth Paltrow's Apple. I guess it's less weird than others, but for some reason it doesn't sit too well with me. But that's just me.

Who's got some real stinkers that I couldn't remember or didn't know about? :)

lola Guest

Re: The worst/most ridiculous starbaby names

These are the "Original" Oddball "celebrity" kids. Frank (and Gail) Zappa's: Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet, and Diva Muffin. Dweezil's started out as a nickname, the name on his birth certificate was: Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa. He had it legally changed to Dweezil. I would have flipped the Ian & Donald and nicknamed him Dice (look at the initails then)!

Quote Originally Posted by bostonian girl
    There are all sorts of candidates for this category, I think. I have to wonder what Jermaine Jackson, for example, was thinking when he named his kid Jermajesty! And then we have Audio Science, and Moxie CrimeFighter (apologies to a poster under a different topic who loved this, but I think it opens the poor kid up to merciless teasing from future classmates), and whoever it was who named their kid Pilot. And I just cannot get my head around Gwyneth Paltrow's Apple. I guess it's less weird than others, but for some reason it doesn't sit too well with me. But that's just me.

Who's got some real stinkers that I couldn't remember or didn't know about? :)
    How about these--Moxie Crimefighter, Puma, Zeppelin, Bluebell, Reignbeau, Pirate, Rogue, Rebel, Peanut, and Audio Science?

I think some of these people are looking for attention... aka Shannyn Sossamon and her poor son Audio Science.

Jason Lee and his Pilot Inspektor (spelt wrong too!) take the cake as well.

Moxie Crimefighter and Fifi Trixibelle are pretty ridiculous as well.

As is John Mellencamp's Speck Wildhorse... poor thing.

I'm just wondering why everybody seems to dislike Pilot so much. I mean, yeah, I don't like it either, but is it really that bad? Look at the top 100. Mason and Hunter are just two of several profession names that made the list. Why is Mason okay but Pilot is terrible? I just don't get it. I think being a "pilot" is probably more desirable to most people than being a "hunter" or something. I know that if I had to choose between Mason, Hunter and Pilot I would choose Pilot any time.

yes, combining it with Inspektor is kind of dumb. But they're probably just going to call him Pilot anyway.

Yes, it is misspelled. But Taylor is also misspelled and nobody has ever complained about that. Brooke is misspelled, Skye is misspelled etc

Not trying to attack anyone, just wondering...

Good question Lily. I'd never thought about the name that way, but you made very good points.

I think that the middle name is what kills the name. It's hard to think of Pilot as a legit name when the middle name is Inspektor, especially misspelled. All you hear is "pilot inspector" and the attention is completely taken away from the sounds in the first name. It's hard to think of the parents' intention as anything other than an attempt at a weird provocative cartoony name, rather than at an innovative name well suited for a child.

It's true that when it comes down to it, Pilot is not any more ridiculous than Hunter or other occupational names. I think the differences come from the fact that Hunter is an established name and people don't connect it to the occupation. Kind of like when you hear the word flower, you don't automatically connect it with flour, even though it's pronounced the same. I think a name like Hunter manages to be completely separated from the noun even while having the same pronunciation. That hasn't happened with Pilot, and most people just see a guy sitting in a plane when they hear it.

This is just my personal opinion though, I'd be curious to hear what others think :)

Skye is actually not misspelled, but it is the name of an island of the coast of Scotland.

Pilot is different than Mason and Hunter, I think, primarily because it is out of sync with the rest of the occupation names (they mainly end with -er or -on sounds) and because it is still a popular occupation today. You don't exactly hear people speaking of their father who is a mason, do you?

Of course there are people who work as a mason, plenty of them, I guarantee you. The reason i don't hear "my father is a mason" is because I belong to what you could call the upper middle class. There are plenty of tailors around as well. I walk past their shops everyday on my way to university.

I know of the "Isle of Skye" in Scotland but many people haven't heard of it. They use it as a Nature/Word name and just add the E to the word "sky" because it looks more complete to them just as Brooke looks more complete and feminine to most people than Brook. So you could say it's misspelled.

I'm not from an English speaking country and naming your child after a profession is actually forbidden in my country. I'm not used to people having last names or profession names as first names so they all sound ridiculous to me. But from the meaning alone I'd choose Pilot over Hunter etc anytime.

The reason why you think profession names that end in -er and -son are okay is because you're used to them. They're everywhere. But if you don't consider that Pilot is not any more ridiculous than Mason.

Point taken and agreed about the point about adding an "e" to a name to make it more complete.

However, no matter what class you are in, I was just speaking from MY experience that I don't hear of people being masons, or using that term for their job occupation, very frequently. And tailors were not mentioned in my post at all, btw.

In addition, don't assume that I'm "Used" to profession names ending in "on" and "er". I still find them interesting when I see them, they have not blended into the name pool for me. And it's just the majority of them DO end in "er" and "on", and the "ot" ones like Pilot just stand out. Also the "on" and "er" ones mimick surname names that have been used for decades in the USA like Johnson or Porter (also an occupation name, mind you), and this is yet another reason why they are less "ridiculous" than Pilot to me.
    And considering them by name alone is a completely different issue- I'd name my kids Doctor and Teacher then.

Just my $0.02.

Bronx Mowgli Wentz takes the cake.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco