Menu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unisex names that you'd still consider for a boy

With all the talk around here about unisex and cross-gender names, I thought that I'd ask this question: Are there any "co-opted by the girls" boy's names that you'd still consider using on their original gender?

Here's some that I like and would be willing to use (some of them I won't be using for reasons unrelated to their unisexness, but if it weren't for those other associations that I have with those names I'd consider using them):
    Avery
    Bailey
    Casey
    Dana
    Devon
    Kelly
    Morgan
    Reece/Reese/Rhys
    Riley
    Robin
    Rowan
    Sasha
    Shannon

Personally, the ones that I'd avoid are those that are both currently very popular for girls and virtually unheard of for boys (e.g. Ashley and Madison) and those that have been off the boy's radar (or for all practical purposes so) for several decades or longer (e.g. Beverly, Shirley, and Vivian).

Edit: I had forgotten that I asked this question in the thread about starbaby boys with gender-neutral names, but I'll leave this thread up since that specific question wasn't the prominent one there.

Another edit: Added Devon (I forgot about that one, but when memomo mentioned it I decided to add it to my list).

Re: Unisex names that you'd still consider for a boy

Avery is the only one I'd even consider. All of the others (except possibly Morgan) are decidedly female.

I think these still work on a boy:
    Morgan
    Rowan
    Adrian
    Devon
    Misha (strictly a boys' name, imo)
    Sascha (same as Mischa)
    Payton/Peyton
    Cameron
    Casey

Though I don't like any of them well enough to use them on either gender anyway.

lola Guest

Oh, I'd happily use:
    Kelly
    Morgan
    Ariel - in my house, she's "the badly named mermaid"
    Carmine - When did this go to the girls (I've been assured it has too) *shrug*
    Cameron
    Elisha (do people not read the Bible anymore?)
    Tracy (I want this to go back to it's surname roots!)
    Spencer (Yeah, Spencer Tracy, people!)

I'm really sad to see Perry going to the girls. All I see when I hear Perry is Perry White (or a platypus), either way, Perry's all boy to me.
    MacKenzie - it's my surname. has a "son of meaning, like all the other mac- names. How is this, in any way, girly? Another "I don't get it" name for me.
    Leslie - this one befuddles me, was it lazyness that brought it to the girls list? Lesley was the standard girl spelling when I was a kid, my Granddad's name was Leslie as was my Dad's middle, and an Uncle. Lesley was the Aunt. I always figured this was the Frances/Frances, Sydney/Sidney type name, Lesley/Leslie. I'd name a guy Leslie. Les is jazzy cool.
    And the one that I see that makes me want to tear my eyes out: Julian. All boy to me.

Edited to add the Russian nickname "names" Sasha & Mischa, Alexsandr & Mikhail they are to me. I have several male relatives on my Mom's side with these names and while I know they're unisex nicknames in Russia, even. They're mainly male to me! I'd name a boy Michael just to get Misha!

Yes, definitely. I consider most of the names you have listed to be boy's names anyway.

Avery, Addison, Aubrey, Rowan, Riley, Morgan, Harper are all favourites of mine and I'd definitely use them on a boy.
    Florentina Arleen Belle & River Isaac James

Zeke Gabriel Asher - Atlas Xavier Louis - Oren Zachary Jude
    Bear William Oscar - Leif Sebastian Arthur
    Pandora Ottilie Winter - Indira Persephone Rose - Elowen Matilda Carys
    Adelaide Junia Scarlet - Clemency Eden Willow

Quinn
    Indiana
    Indigo
    Zooey
    Marion
    Morgan
    Ariel
    Bellamy
    Darcy
    Jem
    Jules
    Milan
    Mischa
    Lior
    Robin
    Sasha
    Scout
    Sidney
    Leslie

Lots of these I don't consider unisex at all though.

I have been fascinated by unisex names lately (particularly in reference to what boys are named) . I feel like we worry too much about whether a name "sounds" feminine. To me a name doesn't "sound" like any gender, it's just what you're accustomed to hearing it on. If you have only met/heard of girl Elizabeths, then Elizabeth "sounds" like a girl name. Does that make it unusable for a boy? It shouldn't. (There were several boys named Elizabeth in 1889... along with Anna, Hazel, and Mary).

But it does make it unusable, unfortunately. Maybe if we still lived in 1889 where the name didn't necessarily "make the man".

Unisex names I would use:
    Aubrey
    Hadley
    Jane

I wish I could use Evelyn. It's the one I want to use the most.

Courtney and Loren are two to add to the list

The only one I consider almost all female on your list ist Kelly. All the others I think are totally fine on boys! I'd really like to hear Dana on a boy, I think it has the Ezra/ Ira vibe.

Also I really don't understand people who think it's horrible for a boy to have a name, that is also given to girls. Maybe that's the feminist in me, but what's so bad about that? I mean many who think girl can have "boy names" would never do it the other way around. Because it weakens a boy to have a unisex name? I don't know, the idea bothers me.

So yeah, I wouldn't use a name that is "all female" in my mind, but names that still have unisex vibes, why not?