Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French/English Girls Names - help me pick FAST!

We are expecting our 2nd baby any day (hour, minute) and are still undecided on a name! Yeeps. I need some opinions. We are english-speaking North Americans currently living in France. We have a very simple, one syllable, english surname. We are looking for a French name that will work in English, as we expect our daughter to grow up in an English-speaking country. So far, we have 2 choices:

Eloise (easy to pronounce in both languages, not common in N/A, popular and modern here, love the nickname Ellie!)

Cla (pronounced Clay-ah. I LOVE this name but realize she will probably always have to pronounce it for people. Not sure how big a deal this is).

Middle names could be Alice (names of 3 of our great-grandmothers), either of the 2 first names we picked, Yvette (name of the river that we live and stroll by here in France). Other suggestions? What about similar first names. I'm open to more options, but we aren't agreeing on much!

Re: French/English Girls Names - help me pick FAST!

I think Eloise is a great choice. It works in both, it's neither "weird" nor too common, and it has the possibility of a great nickname. I'm not sure how well it goes with Alice as a middle name though, it might sound a little too similar. However, I think Eloise Cla sounds great together. With this combination, your daughter wouldn't have to spend her life explaining her name, and you would still have that French flair you're looking for.

I love Eloise too. Alice is more English sounding but I know is fashionable in France. Clea I think might be problematic for English speakers -- but as long as you're prepared for the problems, it's lovely.

Some other ideas that straddle both cultures, though some may feel more like a souvenir of France: Beatrice, Celine, Charlotte, Elodie, Fleur, Jessamine, Juliette, Liliane, Manon, Seraphine, Valentine. Sorry, can't type in accents!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Thanks! I've been leaning towards Eloise Cla, but reluctant to tell anyone my choices so I haven't had any feedback. We were considering Elodie too. Baby feels close, I sure appreciate the quick replies!

Sherb, I also am a fan of Eloise (although I personally feel like "Ellie" is way too common and wouldn't muck up Eloise that way! ;-) ). I think Eloise Clea (drat, can't remember the spelling, sorry) is lovely. Best of luck with your birth!
    -e

Wow, I can't believe we've had 2 posts in the last few days with Eloise. I haven't been able to find input about this name anywhere! I love love love it.

i love the name camille - my sister's name in fact and it is french and means noble
    eloise camille sounds just perfect. other names that come to mind are clementine and evangeline.

let us know what you choose!!

I actually think Elodie is just gorgeous. Good luck trying to pick, though! You have a lot of great choices.

Thanks so much everyone! Baby girl arrived a week ago. We decided to go with Eloise Cla. She's just beautiful and we think her name really fits her.

Camille was on our list, but it is just pronounced so differently in the 2 languages. I'm glad we decided not to use Cla as a 1st name. Everyone hears Clare! I'm so grateful for the 11th hour input, the thoughtful comments were a huge help.

Congratulations! Eloise Clea is beautiful!