Menu

Sibsets I came up with

Since I'm the one who suggested the idea for the name games board, I'll start the first game on here. This is a game that I came up with a couple of years or so ago that I've shared with some others before. Below are some sibsets that I came up with (they're not real as far as I know) in which the names among the siblings might seem to clash to some. Which of these sibsets are most/least clashy to you? Feel free to comment on them if you like. Genders are indicated in cases where it's not obvious by the name.

Sibset 1: Ingrid, Seamus, and Emilio
    Sibset 2: Mackenzie (girl) and Catherine
    Sibset 3: Elizabeth and Lysander
    Sibset 4: Mabel, Nancy, and Jaden (boy)
    Sibset 5: Kelly (boy) and Ryan (girl)

Re: Sibsets I came up with

Mackenzie and Catherine are the most clashy to me. I like Catherine. I'd pair her with another royal name like Elizabeth, Eleanor or Margaret. I'm not really a fan of Mackenzie.

Least clashy to my ears: Elizabeth and Lysander. Almost sounds like a pair of Shakespearean lovers. I know sisters named Stephanie and Elizabeth and that always seemed a bit clashy to me.

Fun game! I'd say that #1 (Ingrid, Seamus, Emilio) is the most interesting - sure, they're all from different origins, but they all have a sort of underused, but not unfamiliar vibe. I can see #3 working, too - Elizabeth and Lysander - though it's usually more like, say, James and Ianthe - classic choice for the boy, rarity for the girl.

#2 sounds like Dad named one and Mom named the other daughter, or maybe they decided to honor a beloved Catherine even though it's not really their style.

#4 is pretty bizarre - Mabel, Nancy and Jaden? I can't imagine it. Ditto Kelly/Ryan in #5, though I suppose I have heard of Avery and Peyton (sister and brother) and similar "Which one is the girl?" pairings.

Sibset 1- Love it. Exotic (in a familiar way) and they're not going to know any other kid with their name in the U.S. I'd recommend familiar middle names.
    Sibset 2- Yuck. Lucky Catherine (such a pretty name), unlucky Mackenzie. The old and new, the old (and rediscovered), the young (and needs-to-be-retired).
    Sibset 3- Love it all the way. The only thing: Lizzie and... Lyssie? Lysander doesn't have much of a nickname.
    Sibset 4- Grandma, Grandma, and grandson. Nancy rocks, Mabel not so much. And Jaden I don't like anyway.
    Sibset 5- Kelly's going to have some gender confusion with the little Barbie doll. And all those Ryans are going to be boys and little girl Ryan might want to be Ry-Ry or Annie.

Sibset 3 is the best, 5 & 2 the worst. Creative combos!

bostonian girl Guest

To me, the set that clashes the most is #3, Elizabeth and Lysander. A classic, well-known and beloved name paired with an equally classic, but not-so-well-known and probably-not-too-beloved name. Lysander makes me think of a male ballet dancer, after the obvious reminder of "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

I actually think set #5, Kelly and Ryan, clashes the least, but I'd name the girl Kelly and the boy Ryan. I don't like boys' names on girls, and Kelly is almost exclusively a girls' name these days. There would be terrible confusion about who's the boy and who's the girl.

Set #1, Ingrid, Seamus and Emilio, is a really interesting combo. I think it could work for a family with multiple ancestry, who want to honor each different nationality. So of course, clearly this family is Scandinavian, Irish and Spanish in origin. A great way to commemorate one's ancestors.

Set #4, Mabel, Nancy and Jaden...sounds like Grandma, Mom and son. I know a Nancy and she is a really cool lady, though admittedly her name isn't exactly one of my favorites. Mabel is unquestionably a senior citizen, no matter what they said on "Mad About You". Jaden is too trendy and probably overused anyway.

Set #2, Mackenzie and Catherine, appeals to me the least. I prefer the latter name spelled with a K (to me, most hard-C girls' names look better with a K instead). I like Mackenzie okay, but it's a surname. My dad grew up with a guy named MacKenzie (surname) and we've been friends through two generations, and that's what comes to my mind every time I see the name, no matter how it's spelled. (Their younger daughter named her little girl Mackenzie, or some spelling variant, I'm not sure which one; but she was honoring her maiden name, not really conforming to the trend.) As another poster said, trendy/popular vs. classic/less popular just doesn't fly.

Just my thoughts... :)

Kelly and Ryan just clash so much as they seem the wrong way round.
    Girls
    Evie, Isabelle (Issie), Charlotte (Lottie), Sophie, Lillie, Madison (Maddie), Alice, Isla, Pippa

Boys
    Charlie, George, Oliver, Oscar, Noah, Harvey, Finlay (Finn)

Combos
    Evie Rose, Noah James, Oscar Thomas, Charlotte "Lottie" Mia, Sophie Flora, Isabelle "Issie" Mae, Charlie Max