Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To V or not to V

I love the name Vera! I'm thinking of it for my girl, but it sounds a little bit Great- Grandma-ish. The V sound is really what gets me. Should I do Ava or Vivian instead? Those names seem to trendy for me, but they are definitely more in style. Help!

Re: To V or not to V

If you like Vera I think it would work quite nicely for a girl these days, and the name doesn't sound too old-fashioned to me.

Another V name that you might like (which also happens to be one of my favorites in general) is Veronica, and I've heard of Vera used as a nickname for that one before if you think that's a good option.

I think Vera is fabulous. It's just old fashioned and classic enough, but not overly popular right now. And most importantly, if you like it you should go with it.

I like Vera. The two great grandmothers I knew were Beulah and Virgie so Vera sounds pretty good to me. Of course I like the name Lavinia as well.

Besides she may end up being called V like my friend Veronica.

There's also Verity. :) It gives Vera a current, virtue name vibe.

It seems out dated to me too.

I prefer other V names:

Victoria. Vivienne, Vanessa, Veronica, Via, Violet, Vashti, Veda, Valerie,Vanora, Varina...my current favorite is Via and Veda.

lola Guest

Vera is lovely! Warm and lush feeling. I've known several lovely women named Vera over my lifetime and have nothing but positive associations with Vera. I also have lovely images in my head with this name (I'm half Russian). I think Vera's beautiful.

I love names that start with the letter "V". They are my current craze. Vera is warm and mysterious.

Please do not name your baby Ava. It is a beautiful name and I personally love it, but it is way over-used. Remember how you had 5 Laurens in your classes in grade school? That will be your daughter.

Vera, however, is a rare, unique, feminine name, and honors a relative, which is icing on the cake.