Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Todd Matthew Elias

6 12.00%
  • Theodore Matthew Elias "Todd"

44 88.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me out...

I'm looking at honoring my great-grandma Dorothy Ann. I have thought of a combo for a girl, but am unsure how to go about doing this for a boy as I want to honor a Todd as well. I've thought about using one of two name combos:

Todd Matthew Elias
    Theodore Matthew Elias "Todd"

My great grandma never used a nickname, but to get to Todd I used a common nickname for Dorothy, Dot, and flipped it around (and added a D).

Which one do you think?

Shelly
    Last edited by shells15; March 25th, 2020 at 09:51 PM.

I prefer Theodore but I don't think you can get Todd out of Theodore. What about Theodore Todd Elias to keep the honor name?
    Violet Aurora • Rose Emilia • Winter Rose • Delilah Skye • Matilda Rose • Sylvie Olivia • Isla Cove • Indira Rose • Tallulah Belle
    Talia • Nova • Dove • Josephine • Fina • Hattie • Lola • Olive • Molly • Everly • Quinn • Willa • Penelope • Florence • Elsa

Owen Oliver • Romeo Charles • Liam Blake • Theo Everett • Everett Hudson • Rowen Jude • Owen Henry
    Zander • Taylor • Colin • Finn • Beckett • Zander • Noah • Ezra • Ansel • Cash • Benjamin • Casper • Caspian • Oakley

I looked at it as you would get Ted out of the name... ThEoDore for Ted, TheODore for Tod (I just prefer the Todd spelling over the Tod spelling). Would this not work?

Shelly
    Last edited by shells15; March 26th, 2020 at 01:25 AM.

I prefer Theodore to Todd in general, so Theodore 'Todd' got my vote. I like too, that Theodore incorporates more directly, the DOR for grandmother Dorothy so the Dorothy honour doesn't get lost in the creative honour, compared to Todd's obvious one, you know?

I don't see why Todd can't work as nickname for Theodore...I mean, no the names don't relate in terms of etymology or history, however, most people just go on sound and look when it comes to names in general anyway, and the TOD(d) is right there, and in that order. Nicknames are supposed to be fun and informal, so really, they need not even need to make perfect sense anyway, in my opinion.

Just a quick note to say,
    I'm always up for a chat, so feel free to say 'Hey'!

If I were you I’d use Theodore Todd Elias. I much, much prefer Theodore to Todd and nicknames Theo and Teddy to Todd, and feel Todd is a stretch as a nickname for it anyway. I mean you can of course use whatever name you like as a nickname but I personally like nicknames to be intuitive or established (or both), which Todd isn’t. Plus, considering you say your grandmother never used Dot as a nickname, the connection between Dorothy/Theodore and Todd feels tenuous. It seems to me that the significant Todd in your life would be honoured more so if his name was just used as a middle. If Matthew is important to you as well, I’d go with three middles - Theodore Matthew Todd Elias. It’s a long name but I don’t think that’s a problem. Anyway, just my two cents - feel free to ignore this! I think Theodore (Matthew) Todd Elias is a really nice name though.
    Last edited by tdfm; March 26th, 2020 at 05:33 AM.

Theodore is a wonderful name and has so many sounds and letters in common with Dorothy! It's almost like Dorothy backwards: Dor-oh-thee, thee-oh-dor!!!

I think Theodore nicknamed Todd makes perfect sense - not a stretch at all! And using Theodore as the given name provides other options such as Theo or Teddy if you feel like using more than one nickname.

Beautiful B's...

Berenice, Beatrix, Brenna, Briar, Bernadine, Belle, Bria, Benilde, Bren, Bettina, Bertilde, Briony, Bree, Bronya, Birdie, Benita, Bernice, Bridie, Bronte, Bronwen

Bren, Bartholomew, Bardrick, Brady, Beaumont, Beauregard, Byram, Branok, Bartleby, Bertie, Brennan, Berin, Barley, Brenner, Bartolomé, Barthelemy, Bran, Benicio, Barnabus, Balthazar

Todd can definitely be a nickname for Theodore. I think Theodore is perfect for honoring both Dorothy and Todd. Congrats!
    Lila Siobhan • Freya Cedar • Elisa Paige (Elsie) • Coralie Brynn (Cora) • Maia Audrey • Violet Piera • Juliet Iris • Seren Daisy • Lydia Fallon • Genevieve Maren (Eve)

Roland Leo • Philip Cillian (Finn) • Thomas Royce • Wilder David (Will) • Nolan Judd • Miles Cormac • Jerome Pierce (Jerry) • Shane Lorcan • Hugo Campion (Hugh) • Soren Gregory

I know a Dorothy (also called Dorothea) who was named to honour her grandfather Theodore. So you can absolutely tie those two together. I agree, if you can get to Ted, you can get to Todd. To me, both are a bit of a leap and less obvious than Theo, but Ted to me is not more intuitive than Todd. Theodore Todd Elias would work as well.
    Finn, Leo, and Kate <3

Declan Calder Bartholomew

Mila Violet Elizaveta

Elena Daisy Guinevere | Anya Vivienne Persephone | Freya Lydia Juliet
    Aurora Ivy Olivia | Morgana Clara Genevieve
    Isla Belle Sophia | Stella Margot Emmeline

Oliver Caspian James | Callum Nicholas Evander | August Victor Hugo
    Mason Oscar Theodore | Dimitri Matthew Balthazar
    Theo Frederick Lincoln | Jasper Rupert Anthony

Another vote for Theodore Matthew Elias - such a handsome combination! Todd isn't my style as a standalone, but is perfectly fine for a nickname.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    &
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Mia + Juliet + Seren + Evander
    GP Crushes: Zephan + Orion + Albio

Theodore Matthew Elias is wonderful. I also noticed straight away that Theodore is basically Dorothy backwards! And Todd seems a perfectly natural nickname for Theodore. I do think Todd is too nicknamey to stand alone, however.

I think you've hit a winner with Theodore!
    Sienna Elsie|Eden Olivia|Lyra Isabella|Cora Eloise|Thea Ivy|Lila Iris| Ivy Winter|Lydia Kate

Ramsey Flynn|Finnegan Reid|Wilder Elliott|Reid Valentine|Flynn Shepherd|Atlas James|Nolan Alexander|Greyson Wilder|Edmund Fox|August Wolf|Sullivan Wyatt