Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twins- vintage suggestions needed!

My husband and I are expecting twins. We have Hugh Charles and Evangeline Maude picked out, but don't know what to do if we have two boys or two girls. Help!

1) Do you think our boy and girl name go well together for a twin set?

2) What other suggestions do you have? These are some of my ideas, but my husband isn't necessarily too keen!

Hugh and Nigel (husband's fav, but I'm nervous that it isn't an old-fashioned name)
    Hugh and Lionel
    Hugh and Gilbert
    Hugh and Alec
    Hugh and Edwin
    Hugh and Miles

Evangeline and Marguerite (my fav, husband feels it's a mouthful. My sister is Margaret so not an option)
    Evangeline and Georgiana (same as above, too long for husband)
    Evangeline and Adelaide (love, but friend named their daughter this)

Right now, if we have two girls, I feel like they both need to have long names. Thoughts? Do you think we can get away with one long name and one short?

Thanks for all your help! Can't wait to hear your suggestions!
    Last edited by 20twin20; March 26th, 2020 at 08:22 AM.

Hi there.

Hugh Charles is dashing. I don't think that Evangeline Maude doesn't go with Hugh. However, I do really think that Maude Evangeline is much better. I personally just like Maude way more, but Maude & Hugh are so so cute together. Evangeline is just a mouthful. Maude is smart, homey & a little quirky just like Hugh. But alas, if you like Evangeline, go for it. It's not a bad name.

Here are my thoughts on two boys:

Hugh and Nigel (husband's fav, but I'm nervous that it isn't an old-fashioned name)-Hugh & Nigel are adorable! I'm not sure that it's vintage, but it does have an old fashioned feeling to me. Hugh & Nigel are like two posh old English men. Which sounds weird, but is charming & unique.

Hugh and Lionel-I think that these go really well too, but I don't love Lionel as much. I love geeky boy names, but this one is just too geeky for me. I love Hugh & Linus, however.

Hugh and Gilbert-Another very geeky choice, but it's also very fun & different. I like it a lot. And it has a lot of great nn options like Gil, Gilby, Gib, Gibby or Bertie.

Hugh and Alec-I like Alec a lot, but it's not as interesting as some of the others.

Hugh and Edwin-This is really nice. Edwin & handsome, old fashioned, simple yet not over done, strong & gentle all at the same time. Similar vibes to Hugh.

Hugh and Miles-Meh, this is my least favorite from your list. It is an old fashioned name, but it's trendy in 2020 at the same time.

A few more boy ideas that go w/Hugh:

Arthur

Alden

Basil

Bernrad

Barnaby

Chet

Desmond

Ellis-kind of like Miles a little bit though, but I think it's handsome.

Edgar

Frederic

George

Ira

Lloyd

Linus!

Niles

Simon

Here are my thoughts on the girls:

Evangeline and Marguerite (my fav, husband feels it's a mouthful. Sister is Margaret so not an option)-Marguerite is a mouthful & trick to spell, but for what it's worth I think that these go really well for sisters. Neither is my style, but they're not bad & kind of different. Are you into nick-names? I do like Evie & Maggie a lot.

Evangeline and Georgiana (same as above, too long for husband)-Ooh, I like Georgiana. It's unique & classy.

Evangeline and Adelaide-Pretty name, but kind of getting popular. Just Addie names in general. Hence why you have a friend with one.

A few girl suggestions to go w/Evangeline: (I don't think that they both have to have long names. I think picking two names that you love & don't totally clash with each other is what you should focus on.)

Adela

Adele

Amelie

Beatrice

Cecilia

Dorothea

Francesca

Georgina

Gloria

Juliet

Josephina

Luciana

Scarlet

Theodora

Virginia

Wilhelmina

Hope this helps.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Eleanor, Clementine, Gerty

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Nolan, Shiloh

Thanks- your thoughts and suggestions were definitely helpful!

I agree, Hugh and Maude do sound great together. I hadn't thought of that! I just refrain from using Maude as a first name because we have a daughter named Florence. I was nervous to mention this earlier in case someone, somehow figured out who I am! Oh well! I think of Florence (nn.Flora) as being very elegant and I'd like an equally elegant name for a second daughter.

Funny that you added Wilhelmina as an option. I think it sounds amazing with Evangeline too and have even said so to my husband! I just don't think I have the guts to pick such a different name.

I like Linus better than Lionel too. Sounds a bit hipper! And I love Gilbert, glad you do too! I especially like the nn Gil. If only I could talk my husband into it- maybe, just maybe!

Thanks so much, it's good to even hear confirmation!

I think Hugh and Evangeline work perfectly fine together (and with Florence)! They all three have that elegant, old-fashioned edge.

Of the boy options, I love Gilbert! It would pair so nicely with Hugh. Edwin and Linus are also great matches.

For a girl, I agree that Marguerite and Georgiana are a little too much with Evangeline. (Adelaide would probably have been my first suggestion, but I see that it's off the table.)
    - I think Eleanor would be a great twin name for Evangeline, if you don't mind a shared initial and the fact that Eleanor has become quite popular lately.
    - Perhaps you'd like Millicent? It has that same romantic, vintage vibe as Florence and Evangeline.
    - Love the previous suggestion of Adele!
    - Beatrice, too, would be a great fit.
    - Matilda and Harriet also come to mind...

Hope this could help a little!
    currently considering...

Lilia Magdalena | Rose Antonia | Clara Cordelia | Esther Mariella | Audrey Helena | Daphne Isabella
    Theodore Kit "Teddy" | Gilbert Henry | Edmund Jasper | Morgan Theodore | Daniel Archer | Henry Malachi

crushing on... Odessa Juliet & Gisela Catherine

I think Hugh Charles and Evangeline Maude go well together, although I would personally much prefer Hugo Charles. Hugo has a more vintage feel to it in my opinion and has a lot more spunk and sophistication. That’s just a personal thing though - there’s nothing wrong with Hugh!

In regards to female twins, I don’t at all think the other name has to be a long one. Of your options my favourite is Adelaide but considering you probably can’t use it, how about Adeline? I actually prefer Adeline and think it’s beautiful with Evangeline! Some other ideas, short and long, to go with Evangeline:

Clementine
    Eleanor
    Luella
    Henrietta
    Thea
    Violet
    Mabel
    Harriet
    Edith
    Stella
    Evelyn
    Maeve
    Amelie
    Vivienne
    Iris
    Mirabel
    Eloise
    June
    Ophelia
    Isabella
    Olive
    Juniper
    Theodora
    Delilah
    Ivy
    Primrose
    Isobel
    Willa
    Beatrix

With Hugh Charles, I like Miles or Edwin. They’re lovely vintage names. I can’t say Nigel feels vintage to me - more baby boomer perhaps. Some other ideas:

Angus
    Felix
    Otis
    Jasper
    Errol
    Ambrose
    Hamish
    Oscar
    Arthur
    Milo
    Casper
    Archibald
    Jude
    Atticus
    Francis
    Oliver
    Louis
    August
    Frederic
    Otto
    Chester
    Monty
    Leopold
    Marlowe
    Orson
    Rory
    Theodore
    Orwell
    Ulysses
    Franklin
    Wilfred
    Langston
    Albert

Good luck!

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions- please keep them coming! They're very helpful!

Glad to see a second person say they like Gilbert. I think this is my favorite combination- Hugh and Gilbert! My husband hasn't completely closed the door on this name, so maybe there is still hope of swaying him!

You've all mentioned some girl names I love and have even considered. Beatrice (nn. Bea) seems to stand out for me though. Initially, I feared this was too popular but I just looked up the meaning and love it! Beatrice means, "she who brings happiness; blessed."

Another question, what nickname would you use for Evangeline? I prefer "Eva" but find this too popular where we live. It's often used on it's own or as a nickname for Evelyn.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

I know it's not much different than 'Eva', but I think 'Evie' is an adorable nn option for Evangeline! Lina could also work...
    currently considering...

Lilia Magdalena | Rose Antonia | Clara Cordelia | Esther Mariella | Audrey Helena | Daphne Isabella
    Theodore Kit "Teddy" | Gilbert Henry | Edmund Jasper | Morgan Theodore | Daniel Archer | Henry Malachi

crushing on... Odessa Juliet & Gisela Catherine

my 2 girls ideas: Alice and Lucy(lucille), Alice and Emma, Clare and Margot

my 2 boys ideas: Hugo and Percy(Percival), Hugo and Emil

EVANGELINE AND MARGOT!!(angie and Marge, Evie and Mar)
    HUGO AND EDWIN!!(Hugh and Wynn, Hugo and Eddie)
    ladies
    Lucille Eilonwy Grace_Alice Calliope Poet_Alondra Sunflower Mae_Larkin Madeleine Faye_Emmeline Meadow Clare_Jenny Rosella Bloom_Sadie Arianell Wren_Penny Elowen Rose_Avalon Philomena Gray

gents
    Evander Ambrose Sparrow_Kit Austell Robin_Hugo Elyan Night_Emrys Auburn Bramble_Percy Valentine Lake_Nathaniel Conan Blue "Nat"_Gabriel Ember Kai "Gable"

current love
    Zelie_Lillie_Beau_Peregrine

50% sarcasm, 50% sunshine!
    http://babynames.com/namelist/9876372

Hugh Charles and Evangeline Maude are great, and I like Edwin, Marguerite, and Georgiana from your list (same length as Evangeline, husband!).

Hugh Charles &
    Albert
    Bernard
    Desmond
    Edgar
    Everett
    Phillip
    Wallace

Evangeline Maude (cute combo btw) &
    Alma Adelaide
    Annabel Rae
    Eloise Pearl
    Felicity Jean (my fave if you can deal with two Fs)
    Hazel Marguerite
    Isadora Blythe
    Leonora Frances
    Ophelia Esther
    Rosalie Nell
    Greta Cecilia - Audrey Eleanor - Margot Anne - Alma Josephine - Sophie Ruth
    Elliot Ronan - Edward Austin - Theo Ephraim - Arthur Nathaniel - Ethan Frederick