Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names that work well in English and German

Hi, my husbands family is German and we want a name that they can easily say that will still work in English (American). Does anybody know any names that would work for this? Thanks.

Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I have relatives:

Erik
    Christoff (not sure about spelling)
    Carl

More German:
    Gunther
    Franz

Few more:
    Werner
    Ralf
    Klaus
    Ulf
    Rainer (righ-ner)

Ps
    Kai is pretty Hawaiian

USA: the land of the free and the home of the brave
    ok, so my father's family is german (he was born in Germany and lived there for 5 years) and me and my sister are both girls, but my parents would have named me Hans if I was a boy. My dad's name is John Alexander LN and in German that translates to Johann Aleksander.
    I really think Johann would work, with the nicknames Joe, John, Johnny. But that might be too popular for you, idk.
    Other options:
    Wilhelm-William(in German it would be pronounced viel-helm)
    Sebastian
    Ohhh I also knew a German boy named Rafael

most names will work, just might be pronounced a bit differently.
    ladies
    Avalon Philomena Gray_Emmeline Aurelie Meadow_London Madeline Faye_Sabrina Vivian Moon "Sabre"_Lucille Eilonwy Grace_Alice Poet Wren_Clarissa Briar Marie

gents
    Evander Ambrose Sparrow_Kit Austell Robin_Fabian "Fable" Valentine Lake_Percival Conrad Soren_Hugo Elyan Blue_Emil Caspian Beau_Auden Vivian Gray

current loves
    Winter Vivian Gray_Sailor Rose Delphine_Gilbert Valentine Knox_Edwin_Ewan Isidore Cove_Conan Bramble Auburn

50% sarcasm, 50% sunshine, 100% Elena!

We also have the same bilingual problem, so I get your struggle. But just suggesting lists of names doesn't seem super efficient since you didn't really give an indication of style etc. What ''works'' in both languages is also super subjective and is based on priorities... for instance, maybe if it's a bit unintuitive in English that's fine, maybe if its uncommon in German thats fine as long as its easily pronounced etc.

What I'd recommend is just taking a bunch of names you like regardless of language, and then going through one by one and seeing how practical they are. That'll give you an indication of what letters/sounds to avoid AND will help you see what your priorities are.

For instance with a name like Johann as suggested above, although its familiar in both languages there are two significantly different pronunciations. Maybe that's a problem, maybe not. It's these decisions that are headache inducing but you've gotta kinda sift through them to see where you stand.

Good luck!
    Names warm my soul.

Maeve Geneva Juliet Claire Ava/Eva/Eve Rose

Jack Sawyer Bruce Owen Seamus Murphy Eamon Graham Vaughn

My favourites are Oscar, Felix, and Rudy n