Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elise? Ellise? Ellis? Or …?

Hi everyone,

I’d like to find a girl name that has similar pronunciation with “Alice” but starts with “El.”

I like the sound “EH–l–ih–s” but not sure how it is spelled in the US.
    How would you spell it?

Here are some “El” options I found online:
    Ellis – Boy name?
    Elise – I like its spelling the best, but it's pronounced “E–lees”? Don’t really like the sound of “E.”
    ElliseHow is it pronounced?
    Elice – The spelling looks kinda weird?

Many people think that Ellis is a boy name. What do you think?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts!
    I’d appreciate all the suggestions.
    Last edited by ec10; February 15th, 2020 at 06:46 AM.

Elise sounds like the best option to me. I pronounce it Uh-leese, not Ee-leese.
    Faith
    Teen Berry
    Planning ahead, not expecting just yet

Mariposa Faye "Posy" 🌹 Rhiannon Wisteria 🌹 Seraphina Lark

Dashiell Finn "Dash" 🌹 Rowan Jude "Row" 🌹 Archer Miles "Arch"

Ellis matches the pronunciation you gave. I like it! Other spellings I can think of(I don't know if these are actual names or not, but who cares?) Ellys, and yup that's it
    gals
    Alondra Mae_Genevieve Scout_Silvia Lark_Sabre Viviana_Willow Grace Reverie_Avalon Callista_Hallie Faye_Elowen Meadow_Willoughby Rain_Seraphina Moon_Calliope Wren_Emmeline Clare_Clarissa Lune

guys
    Evander Sparrow_Robin Kit_Avan Dexter_Varian Winter_Auden Gray_Zedekiah Blue_Rodney Fable_Elyan Lyric_Percival Soren_Ewan Cobalt_Emrys Mickey_Nat Fable

both
    River Quinn_Tiernan Lake_Rowan Fable_Atlantis River_Aidan Night_Avery Zenith_Sparrow Lyric_London Blue_River Quinn

How about Eilis? I think it is the gaelic version of Alice?

Ellis is the only one that has the pronunciation you’re going for, so I’d pick that. It’s a pretty unisex name to me.
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020
    ...and so the countdown begins...8 days until due date!

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

Ellis sounds like a boy name to me but not particularly masculine so you could probably get away with it if you really wanted to.

I personally don’t know anyone that pronounces Elise as EE-lees. It’s either Eh-lees or Uh-lees. I love it!

Ellise just looks awkward like you made a mistake with spelling Elise.

Elice makes me think of lice.
    Mama to V!v!an + Nor@h

Petra Josephine-Georgia Eden-Susanna Piper-Annemarie James-Margot Hanna-Caroline Sawyer-Jane Mariana-Ruby Athena

Jasper Elias-Harvey James-Silas Patrick-Drake Ennis-Miles Birch-Beau Jameson-Drew Cedar-Cyrus Eli

Eilish is a similar name that is quite pretty!
    gals
    Alondra Mae_Genevieve Scout_Silvia Lark_Sabre Viviana_Willow Grace Reverie_Avalon Callista_Hallie Faye_Elowen Meadow_Willoughby Rain_Seraphina Moon_Calliope Wren_Emmeline Clare_Clarissa Lune

guys
    Evander Sparrow_Robin Kit_Avan Dexter_Varian Winter_Auden Gray_Zedekiah Blue_Rodney Fable_Elyan Lyric_Percival Soren_Ewan Cobalt_Emrys Mickey_Nat Fable

both
    River Quinn_Tiernan Lake_Rowan Fable_Atlantis River_Aidan Night_Avery Zenith_Sparrow Lyric_London Blue_River Quinn

Ellis is unisex and gives you the pronunciation you want. I like it. I like the reference to Emily Bronte whose pseudonym was Ellis Bell. Elise is the best of the other spellings and is pronounced El-EEZ.

Ellis is in fact unisex. Ellys is the same pronunciation but slightly more femme spelling if that's more your speed.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

It’s so hard to decide… Personally, I like unisex names for girls, but I'm worried it wouldn't suit her.

My friend suggested me Alise. Pronounced “Uh-lees”? How do you guys think about it?