Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twin boys!!! Firsts and middles

HALP!!!! First-time mom expecting IDENTICAL TWIN BOYS this May. The boyfriend and I are working on names and his short list and my short list don't have a whole whole lot of overlap, plus our naming criteria are VERY different. So I am hoping you can give us some inspiration in terms of compromises, sibsets, first and middle combos, etc. Thanks in advance!!!!

ME: Feel and sound and poetic flow are super important to me (sounding good with the middle and last names, plus sounding good with each other). I want names that are NOT matchy at all because I want them to be able to develop their own identities, and I would only consider naming them something starting with the same letter if the names were super special and the sounds were totally different. I don't want to name them something trendy and am avoiding the Top 10 Lists like the plague. I also shy away from honor names because I have high anxiety and if I honored one friend or relative I just know I would feel guilt over all the people I didn't honor.
    Inspiration and favorite names:
    -Rhys is my all-time favorite and I am working so hard to sell the boyfriend on this (which I think he may finally be bending on, yay! But is not completely sold and we would still need his middle and his brother's name)
    -"R"-names in general: Rhys, Rhett, Reid, Remy, Roger. I probably only get to have one of these because of my weirdness about not matching.
    -Celtic names: Declan, Dylan, Conan/Ronan, Cormac
    -Scandinavian names: Nils, Soren, Anders, Piers
    -Underused Old Testament names: Isaac, Isaiah, Gideon, Ezra, Solomon/Sol/Saul (I also like Eli and Levi, though they are more common)
    -Favorite TV characters, book characters, authors, etc.: Cyrus, Lev, Francis/Frank, Wilder/Wiley, Bram
    -"Cowboy/Old West" names: Corbin, Harlan, Whit
    -Wild Cards: Sawyer, Tycho

THE BOYFRIEND: Doesn't think nearly as much about sound and flow as I do, but meaning and and family are super important to him... he is asking his family members about distant relatives and stuff as sources of inspiration. He likes the idea of Scandinavian names because that's my ethnic background/heritage (I just like their sound). Matching name origins or themes for each boy (when I suggested Tycho he said only if we find another weird astronomer name) whereas I just want the names to flow together.
    Inspiration and favorite names:
    - Celtic names but different than mine: Finn (bad associations for me), Eamon (which I do like but worry about pronunciation).
    - Classic Greek/Roman names: Aulus, Marcus (he wants to in-detail read the works of Marcus Aurelius to ensure that he agrees with them first), a lot of other -us and -ys names that I found unwieldy.
    - Popular names like Liam and Oliver (which I want to stay away from!!!)
    - Arlo (which I like but worry about the flow with the last name, which has a lot of -ar sounds, think Carter or Lawrence)

Ok so Rhys sounds like one of your options!
    I like that he wants to use a Scandinavian name to honour your heritage (and that you like the sound of some of them!)

My top combo would be Rhys and Soren!

Other combos:
    Remy and Whit
    Anders and Lev
    Rhys and Lev
    Rhys and Nils

Rhys Tycho
    Rhys Harlan*
    Soren Cormac
    Soren Wilder*
    Remy Oliver
    Anders Liam
    Lev Eamon
    Nils Ronan
    Whit Francis

*favourites
    Olive Margaret / 21.10.18

Ginny Florence
    Fay Marigold
    Cleo Seraphina
    -Edie-Delphi-Marcy-Fifer-Romy-Lauren-Alma-

Dustin James
    Grady Stefan
    Chester Maxwell
    -Edwin-Reggie-Lennox-Fergus-Murphy-Casper-

Congratulations! Your names are so great!

Remy Nils and Rhian Lev
    Soren Isaac and Cormac Isaiah
    Conan Marcus and Corbin Arlo

RHYS EZRA and REMY ISAAC
    RHYS HARLAN and REMY PIERS
    Rhys and Remy is adorable!!
    girls:
    Avalon Callista_Calliope Blue_Elara Meadow_Seraphina Moon_Willow Grace Reverie_Cressida Nyx_Sabre Viviana_Emmeline Clare_Elowen Scout_Genevieve Wren_Hallie Faye_Chantel Alondra_Aerilyn Penny
    boys:
    Evander Sparrow_Robin Ambrose_Percival Soren_Alexander Cove_Avan Dexter_Cedric Rune_Cobalt Ewan_Zedekiah Blue_Benedict "Ned" Stellan_Auden Gray_Elyan Umber_Rodney Cormac_Emrys Albion

Unisex:
    Tiernan Lake_Atlantis River_London Blue_Rowan Night_Avery Zenith_Kit Robin_Everett Fable

Hi there.

It sounds like you have a lot to think about!

Here are my thoughts on all of the names that you have listed:

Rhys-It's a beautiful name, & I'm happy for you if you're able to get Dad on board. Lets go ahead & assume one of the little boys is a Rhys! Does that bother you that people use Reese for girls? I find it very masculine personally, but I think it's about equally used for both. I wouldn't worry that much about if it's your favorite name, but just something to consider.

-"R"-names in general: Rhys, Rhett, Reid, Remy, Roger. I probably only get to have one of these because of my weirdness about not matching-I love Remy too from your 'R' list, but Rhys & Remy are obviously super match-y.

-Celtic names: Declan, Dylan, Conan/Ronan, Cormac-I love Declan, Dylan & Ronan, but Declan & Dylan are both sort of popular. Not too bad though, & I especially love Dylan w/Rhys. I love Ronan too (Declan is my nephew & Ronan is his doggy brother!). Rhys & Ronan obviously both start w/'R' though. A few other maybe slightly more unique Celtic names that you may like:

Ciaran

Calum

Colm-This is my Rhys. My favorite name that I never suggest for fear of over exposure. But it's perfect w/Rhys. It's basically said like Cole-um. It's sort of hard to say, so I personally would be too afraid to use it in real life.

Ewan-my other top favorite name. I also like this w/Rhys, & it's way less common than Declan or Dylan.

Hamish

Leith

Malcolm

Niall

Noel

Owen-this is pretty popular, but I love it. It's the perfect combination of rugged & soulful.

Quinn

Rafe-This doesn't go w/Rhys, but an alternative if for some reason Rhys doesn't work.

Shea

Shaw

-Scandinavian names: Nils, Soren, Anders, Piers-I like Nils a lot. Are Rhys & Nils too match-y? Nah, I don't think so. I like Soren though!

-Underused Old Testament names: Isaac, Isaiah, Gideon, Ezra, Solomon/Sol/Saul (I also like Eli and Levi, though they are more common)-I think that Isaac & Ezra are just as popular as Eli & Levi. Maybe not as much as Eli. I meet a lot of those. It's a great name though. I love Solomon nn Sol or Solly. It's very handsome. A few more ideas in similar vain:

Asa-I love love this one.

Amos

Abel

Ira

Joel

Shiloh-One of my top favorites!

-Favorite TV characters, book characters, authors, etc.: Cyrus, Lev, Francis/Frank, Wilder/Wiley, Bram-I like Francis, but it's getting a bit more popular for girls too. Wilder is adorable.

-"Cowboy/Old West" names: Corbin, Harlan, Whit-I like Whit a lot. Clive is another cool cowboy name to consider.

-Wild Cards: Sawyer, Tycho-Sawyer is pretty nice. I don't care for Tycho. It reminds me of psycho.

- Celtic names but different than mine: Finn (bad associations for me), Eamon (which I do like but worry about pronunciation).-I love Finn, but obviously don't use if it it's a bad association for you. I love Eamon too. Another one of my nephews. It gets mispronounced sometimes, but people figure it out quickly. It's worth it to me to have a handsome unique name.

- Classic Greek/Roman names: Aulus, Marcus (he wants to in-detail read the works of Marcus Aurelius to ensure that he agrees with them first), a lot of other -us and -ys names that I found unwieldy.-Marcus & Rhys sound like a nice compromise for you guys. I also like Aurelius, even though it's a bit much.

- Popular names like Liam and Oliver (which I want to stay away from!!!)-Well, obviously. . Both great names though.

- Arlo (which I like but worry about the flow with the last name, which has a lot of -ar sounds, think Carter or Lawrence)-Ah, yeah. I think that fn/ln flow is important too. Arlo is cute though.

Hopefully my rambling helps you a little bit. Best of luck.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Daisy, Clementine, Greta, Eleanor, Adeline, Felicity

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Julian, Shiloh, Nolan

I love a lot of the names you've listed.

I'll go with Rhys for Boy number 1. I love it an it goes with a lot of names your BF likes as well. My faves from the list would probably be:

Rhys & Arlo (cute, short, modern with a traditional touch)
    Rhys & Eamon (classic Irish/Welsh)
    Rhys & Anders (both very flowing masculine names which are the right amount of unsual)

All of these go well together in my eyes. Rather than going with one theme per boy, I'd personally mix and match. I.e. if one gets the Welsh first and one the Scandinavian one, then switch it around for the middles. Or give both a similarly themed middle but different firsts etc. Otherwise it gets too theme-y and intentionally different from each other for me. E.g.:

Rhys Arvid & Arlo Soren
    Rhys Solomon & Eamon Gideon
    Rhys August & Anders Dylan

From the names the two of you like on your short lists, combos I like for twin boys
    Rhys & Declan
    Eamon & Isaac
    Corbin & Wilder

Names that you might like ....
    Jude
    Callum
    Ewan
    Elias
    Mama to Isla Mae & Sophie Ruth

Names I love ...
    The Ladies
    *Vera Kate*Clara Jane*Cora Violet
    The Gentlemen
    *August Henry *Jasper Owen *Emmett Flynn

Names I am pondering ...
    *Arthur *Gemma *Sullivan *Ella *Jack *Matilda

Guilty Pleasure ...
    *Evangeline Lark *Fiona Lilac
    *Josey Valentine *Dmitri Blake

Some pairs I love from your current lists (and btw I totally understand your love of R names!):

Rhys and Cormac
    Ronan and Cormac
    Frank and Whit
    Eamon and Cormac
    Finn and Ronan
    Finn and Rhys

some others I think are good:
    Otis
    Magnus
    Fergus
    Rupert
    Rufus
    Mac/Mack
    Joash
    Rafe
    Raphael/Rafael
    Johan
    Ivo
    August
    Cosmo
    Willem
    Nico

It seems you are really set on Rhys and that’s wonderful! I totally get you want a beautiful sounding name ... but middle names get lost pretty quickly. I like Rhys and Nils together but I really like nearly all your names ... especially the Scandinavian names. I like the thought of the names both ending with the same sound “s” without being matchy matchy. The Scandinavian names are a little different but not super wild.

Rhys Eamon
    Nils Arlo
    Nils Oliver
    Soren oliver
    Anders Liam

Rhys Tycho and Eamon Aulus from your list seems like a good bet

Other ideas:
    Galileo (astronomer)
    Ptolemy (astronomer)
    Torben/Torbin
    Gulliver

From your list I like:
    Cormac & Harlan
    Rhys & Eamon
    Corbin & Wilder
    Levi & Tycho
    Frank & Roger
    ~Joan/Joanie, Winifred/Winry, Felicity, Elizabeth~
    Evangeline | Mae | Alice | Dorothy | Ingrid | Margery

~Conrad, Rex, Isaac/Ike~
    William | Hugh | Herschel | Ian | Barnaby | Hugo | Lawrence | Rowan | Donovan | Xavier