Menu

Contemporary versions of old names

What are your thoughts on changing family names to be more contemporary? I live in the US and have been doing a lot of family history research. I’d love to honor my (and DH's) ancestors with a namesake baby, but I worry that their names are “too ethnic.” What do you think about “Americanizing” these:

Natosha >> Natasha
    Sebastiano >> Sebastian
    Giuseppina >> Josephine
    Amaliya >> Amelia
    Savario >> Sam
    Pietro >> Peter

Also, are there any other examples you can think of?
    Adelina Anarosa | Carmella Hanora | Librina Lorenza | Victoria Mariae | Gioia Giuseppina
    Lydia Blythe | Georgina Pearl | Charlotte Rose | Julian Demaris
    "Lena" | "Geo" | "Toia" | "Josie" | "Jude"

Sebastian James | Francesco Gian | Pasquale Luca | Salvatore Pietro | Savario Tomasso
    Holden Carlisle | Callum Benson | Roman Archer | Lachlan Sage
    "Baz" | "Frankie" | "Cal" | "Rome" | "Pat" | "Sam"

I think that's fine. Maybe you could keep them in their original form as middles. It does seem a shame to lose some of them, like some are so different that you might never make that link, and otherwise, the ethnic forms are interesting as they are. I would feel tempted to keep them in their original forms, even just as middles.

I think it's fine if that's what you're more comfortable with and like better -plus it gives a child their own name

I know someone who was Annie after an Anne
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Cherith Eliza
    Sloane Felicity|Flora Penelope|Juno Delilah|Lois Aurelia
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Otto Elias|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus|Jesse Peregrine

For me, it comes down to the fact that one aspect of my family’s heritage was kind of suppressed/Americanized during my grandma’s generation so they’d fit in better in America and continued through the generations to follow. Even my grandma’s last name was Americanized, which makes me sad. And while there have been plenty of honor names sprinkled throughout my family, none have honored the Italian side of my family with actual Italian names.

I want to embrace that so at the moment I’m into letting them be in their original forms. However, my Italian side doesn’t really come across and I find a lot of Italian names very ~much~, so I’ve left them in tact in the middle name spot. That way they stay alive but I can call the kids more ‘accessible’ names, for lack of a better term.

(Coincidentally I just switched Josephine to Giuseppina in my signature.)

Willa Cove - Violet Noor - Thea Wynn - Nina Haze - Phoebe Dune
    Reuben Jett - Oscar Ford - Calvin Tate - Everett Keir - Walter Zeke

I think it's a good idea. It's a creative way to honor your family. I think for Giuseppina you could use Seraphina.

Faith
    Teen Berry
    Planning ahead, not expecting just yet

Serafina Artemis ★ Rosalind Briar ★ Persephone Claire ★ Ophelie Delilah

Dashiell Fabian ★ Wilder Jonah ★ Rowan Atticus ★ Malachi Phoenix

I like this idea. You get to honour somebody but your child still has their own name.
    Sienna Elsie|Eden Olivia|Lyra Isabella|Cora Eloise|Thea Ivy|Lila Iris| Ivy Winter|Lydia Kate

Ramsey Flynn|Finnegan Reid|Wilder Elliott|Reid Valentine|Flynn Shepherd|Atlas James|Nolan Alexander|Greyson Wilder|Edmund Fox|August Wolf|Sullivan Wyatt

My middle name is Alyse, after my great grandmother Alice. I think it's cool, I get to have a name that is my own while still being connected to someone my mother loved. I am considering a similar idea by using a female name connected to a male name.

I don't think there is any kind of dishonour is adjusting a name to suit the place or the time or just because you love it.
    Momma to boxer boy Rooney and baby girl Everly James
    #2 and #3 due June 2020

Current favourites:
    Adler ~ Arlo ~ August ~ Watson ~ Wells ~ Wilder

Annalise ~ Astrid ~ Connolly ~ Hadley ~ Harlow ~ Lyra ~ Thea ~ Vaila ~ Winslow

Instagram
    @nameaddict_ca

I don't really see the connection between the names, other than -ina. They're different in origin and meaning, plus I think Seraphina is just as uncommon as Giuseppina, no? I know it's popular on NB, but at least where I live, it's pretty out there.
    Adelina Anarosa | Carmella Hanora | Librina Lorenza | Victoria Mariae | Gioia Giuseppina
    Lydia Blythe | Georgina Pearl | Charlotte Rose | Julian Demaris
    "Lena" | "Geo" | "Toia" | "Josie" | "Jude"

Sebastian James | Francesco Gian | Pasquale Luca | Salvatore Pietro | Savario Tomasso
    Holden Carlisle | Callum Benson | Roman Archer | Lachlan Sage
    "Baz" | "Frankie" | "Cal" | "Rome" | "Pat" | "Sam"