Menu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I find it too dated and old-fashioned, sorry!

luna florence | briar daveena | ophelia "fifi" june
    willow katherine | octavia hermione | lily guinevere

perseus "percy" james | harley orpheus | spencer rodney
    dean sirius | charlie phoenix | remus nathaniel

It's still too Hey Arnold, imo. All I think of is Helga yelling "Move it, Football Head!!". Doesn't help it was one of my favourite cartoons as a child I suppose, but I feel like a lot of North American 90s kids would have that association?
    haley.
    future little darlings

addison/ avery / aubrey / berkeley / blakely / brinkley / bristol
    cambrie / collins / destiny / ella / finley / gracelyn / hadley
    irelyn / jersey / journee / kamryn / kendall / laikynn / mckinley
    quinnlyn / remington / riley / sydney / tinley / waverly / zoey

First off, although I highly respect Pamela and Linda, I wouldn't follow their book like the Bible. At the end of the day, it's just their opinion. I highly doubt that any of the names we've used (except maybe Caspian) would be in there. That being said, Arnold's not my cup of tea. I associate it with the bodybuilder turned politician. Little kids probably wouldn't have that association, though. So although I'm not a fan, I don't see any reason not to use it if you love it.

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17

The Ones That Got Away
    Gentlemen: Raphael Bardia, Soren Aryo, Sidney Pasha, Tobias Rostam, Elias Bahram
    Ladies: Verity Azadeh, Artemisia Patrice, Aida Marguerite, Annora Laleh, Camellia Baran

I've never watched Hey Arnold, so I wouldn't associate it with that. The most I'd associate it with is Arnold Schwarzenegger, but again, I think that is rapidly becoming a dated pop culture reference. I really like Arnold and I think it could have its resurgence in the next decade; it's got a quirky intellectual vibe to it in my opinion, a la Conrad, Silas, Rupert etc. Arnie and even Arno are sweet short forms too.

Conrad Gabriel ✥ August Leif ✥ Gideon Pascal ✥ Ambrose Dimitri ✥ Tobias Raphael ✥ Calvin Thaddeus
    ⇝⇜
    Saskia Maeve ✥ Paloma Edith ✥ Vivian Margot ✥ Bryony Madrigal ✥ Cecily Fern ✥ Ivy Madelief

How About: Interesting Is - Idony ✥ Isolde ✥ Indira ✥ Ingaret ✥ Ixidor ✥ Iskandar ✥ Isai ✥ Ieuan

~ Never been expecting, but always been collecting ~

When I hear Arnold I think of names like Arthur, Edward, Ernest or Harold. Some of these types of names are making a comeback, (at least on Nameberry) those old-man names that some of us love like we love old lady names. And some of us would never use because they seem stuck in the generations of our dads and grandfathers. It’s a mixed bag, but nothing is inherently wrong with the name, it really all depends on how it sounds to you and how you associate it.
    Rosa ~ Haven ~ Irie ~ Frances ~ Eve ~ Primrose ~ Olivine ~ Georgia ~ Lucille ~ Mirabelle ~ Valley ~ Carolina ~ Prynne ~ Freya ~ Maisie ~ Calypso ~ Odessa ~ Katalina ~ Esperanza ~ Louise

Ambrose ~ Octavio ~ Cristiano ~ Idris ~ Vicente ~ Roman ~ Abel ~ Imre ~ Francisco ~ Ichigo ~ Thorin ~ Cedric ~ Valerian ~ Silas ~ Callum ~ Alarlc ~ Felix ~ Alejandro ~ Salem ~ Theo

I actually love Arnold!! With or without the nn its adorable and it suits all ages.

Yes it might be a bit "old-fashioned", but these names are definitely coming back into style again.

Regardless, pick a name you love and not based on its popularity.
    Felicity | Evangeline | Winifred | Elizabeth | Mae | Joan | Alice | Dorothy | Ingrid | Margery

William | Hugh | Conrad | Ian | Barnaby | Isaac | Hugo | Lawrence | Donovan | Hubert

I just can’t see it on anyone under fifty. Sorry.

Wow! Arnold has really divided opinions within this thread. I can't say I'm surprised - I had a feeling it would be one of those love/hate names.

The 'Hey Arnold' association doesn't resonate with me (thank goodness!) as I'm not based in America.

@greyblue,
    I hadn't though of Arlo as a nickname, so thank you for suggesting this

@jonquils,
    Thank you again for your support and for your honesty. I'm with you in your description of Arnold being 'sweet and endearing'. I really like how you've put Arnie into the recently revived category along with Alfie and Archie. And I'm loving the strong historical ties that Arnold has. This is what I've been trying to find in a name; a history that can match our son's and daughter's name.

@tfzolghadr,
    You're right - I shouldn't worry so much about what others consider to be 'The Very Best Baby Names' as it's all extremely subjective!

@livia,
    Thank you for your positive words Although Arnold is rarely heard these days, I'm stoked that you consider it to be 'quirky and intellectual' as these are the qualities that I love in a name x

Wow! Arnold has really divided opinions within this thread. I can't say I'm surprised - I had a feeling it would be one of those love/hate names.

The 'Hey Arnold' association doesn't resonate with me (thank goodness!) as I'm not based in America.

@greyblue,
    I hadn't though of Arlo as a nickname, so thank you for suggesting this

@jonquils,
    Thank you again for your support and for your honesty. I'm with you in your description of Arnold being 'sweet and endearing'. I really like how you've put Arnie into the recently revived category along with Alfie and Archie. And I'm loving the strong historical ties that Arnold has. This is what I've been trying to find in a name; a history that can match our son's and daughter's name.

@tfzolghadr,
    You're right - I shouldn't worry so much about what others consider to be 'The Very Best Baby Names' as it's all extremely subjective!

@livia,
    Thank you for your positive words Although Arnold is rarely heard these days, I'm stoked that you consider it to be 'quirky and intellectual' as these are the qualities that I love in a name x

@peachpudding,
    I adore Arthur, Edward and Ernest (but can't use any of them) so I'm super pleased that I'm not the only one who puts Arnold into this category

@river_dweller,
    Reading your post has given me hope that Arnold could in fact work for a boy born today (or, more precisely, nearly 5 weeks ago... *sigh*)
    To be honest, I think Arnold would be adorable for a baby and cheeky little boy and I think it would be quite distinguished on an older man. My only hesitation - I'm not entirely certain that a teenage Arnold would be grateful for the name choice? Not unless he was part of a generation of Arthurs, Alberts, Alfreds et al.