Menu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Our little boy is 3 weeks old and doesn't have a name :( Please help!!!

Hi Berries,

I really need your help. Our little boy is now 3 weeks old and embarrassingly, we haven't found a name for him yet.

I feel this is mostly my fault as I'm a self confessed name nerd who looks up names constantly. Because of this I feel like I've fallen into a hole that I can't seem to get out of; I feel like I've looked at every name under the sun but can't find anything i love. To make things worse, I find boys' names really difficult. Our eldest son is E D M U N D and it took me ages to find his name and now unfortunately I think it's the only boy's name that I actually do like. I also keep comparing every name to his and unfortunately nothing seems to measure up. Our daughter's name is A D E L A I D E so I'm trying to find another Victorian vintage name that isn't too overused (preferably not in the top 100).

I thought that Evander might be 'the one' but the more I say out loud I'm not quite sure it is. I like rare names but it makes me worry when I see that historically, it's barely been used at all. When I say it aloud I also think it could be easily mistaken for 'Amanda' and I don't want a boy to grow up having to worry about that confusion. Another reason why Evander doesn't feel right is because it's not a Victorian name and doesn't quite fall into the same category (for me anyway) as A D E L A I D E and E D M U N D.

But here's the thing: I'm pretty sure I've looked at all of the other lesser used Victorian names for boys and for some reason or another I can't use them. To narrow things down a bit, here are some names I've suggested but have been vetoed:

* Wilfred
    * Gilbert
    * Rupert
    * Clement
    * Leopold
    * Frederick
    * Ernest
    * Theodore
    * Oscar
    * Oliver (husband likes but is too popular for me)
    * Cedric
    * Clarence
    * Franklin
    * Louis
    * Archibald
    * Ambrose
    * Albert
    * Alfred
    * Arthur
    Other non-Victorian names I like but husband doesn't:
    * Leander
    * Lysander
    * Raphael
    * Caspian
    * Octavian
    * Amias
    * Aurelius/Aurelian
    * Fabian
    * Lucien
    * Pierre

For years and years I loved Atticus (I know - not Victorian!) but I'm worried that due to its popularity on Nameberry that it's a sign that it will soon become popular in real life... And I'm not sure it really works with A D E L A I D E and E D M U N D?

Sorry for the super long post. Please, if you have any suggestions or advice I'd be most grateful for your input xo

P.S. Name suggestions don't strictly need to be Victorian. I'm up for anything that qualifies as being vintage and underused!!
    Last edited by clementine_99; December 1st, 2019 at 07:17 PM.

Oh it’s a shame so many great names have been vetoed! I love Rupert with your other kids and also love Ernest!

HOW about

Sidney
    Thomas
    Linus
    James
    Albie
    Lawrence
    Lorne
    Harlan
    Barrett
    David
    Samuel
    Ned
    Elliott
    Kelley

I’m sorry you’re in this situation, it sounds really stressful! It’s a shame he vetoed Rupert, that would’ve been perfect!

Caspar/Casper
    Herbert
    Bertram
    Reuben
    Bernard
    Linus
    Claude
    Grover
    Damon
    Harvey
    Walter
    Otis
    Lawrence
    Francis
    Simeon
    Hugh
    Loren
    Clovis
    Milton
    Jarvis
    Hiram
    Sidney
    Basil
    Warren
    Rafferty
    Benedict
    Alistair
    Barnaby
    Barney
    Last edited by sugarplum.fairy; December 1st, 2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added a few names
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

Mary | Felicity | Evangeline | Winifred | Elizabeth | Mae | Joan | Alice | Dorothy | Bernadette | Eleanor

William | Johnny | Hugh | Conrad | Leonard | Ian | Lionel | Barnaby | Isaac | Hugo | Grover | Harvey

I like the suggestion of Gordon! Some other ideas:
    Winthrop "Win"
    Matthias
    Martin
    Orson
    Terrance
    Victor
    Harland
    Luther

Hang in there, mama! Your son will not be nameless, I promise. All will be okay.

Maybe take a little break from thinking of a name, if you legally have time before filing the birth certificate? You’ve just given birth and are now balancing a newborn with trying to come up with a name, and that must be painfully stressful. Taking a breather might help a bit.

As for some suggestions, how about:

Florin
    Abbott
    Auden
    Cassidy
    Baxter
    Bram
    Fitzgerald
    Arnold
    Alan
    Barnabas
    Richard
    Neville
    Ralph
    Humphrey
    Norman
    Burke
    Archibald
    Peter
    Collin
    Silas
    Cyrus
    Langston
    Langley
    Phillip
    Thurston
    Truman
    Orwell
    Ulysses
    Florian
    Francis
    Jerome/Jerry
    Victor
    Marvin
    Ross
    Rudolph
    Max
    Gustav
    Ferdinand
    Jonas
    Grover
    Clem
    Homer
    Robert
    Elmer
    Peter
    Nathaniel
    Last edited by jonquils; December 1st, 2019 at 09:47 PM.
    Susanna Deliverance • Evangeline Remember • Olive Primrose • Hazel Pollyanna • Marigold Charlotte, Faythe Galilea • Wilder Elizabeth • Rejoice Cornelia • Lucy Hopestill • Hosanna Clarity • Glory Wynn • Clover Merit

Josias Wilder • Shepherd Wise • Tobias Revere • Ransom Atticus • Leo Dashiell • Gideon Fox • Henry Prosper • Obadiah James, Absalom Sage • Milo Courage • Zephan Bravery • River Atpeace

Thank you for all of your lovely suggestions and support x

You're spot on @sugarplum.fairy - This is an extremely stressful time, but I feel much of it is my fault as I'm finding it difficult coming to terms with naming our last child

From all of your suggestions I like:
    August
    Leonard
    Clyde
    Orlando
    Leonardo - too popular?
    Laurent - I like this but worry about pronunciation issues
    * Claude, Hugo, Sidney, Magnus & Lawrence I like but can't use

Did you think that Atticus works ok with both our son's and daughter's name? Do you see Atticus becoming too popular? I'm worried that (according to Nameberry) it is the next hipster name for boys and may therefore end up being quite trendy?

Thanks again xx

@jonquils,

Thank you for your beautiful words. Right now it feels as though we'll never find a name for this little one and I feel terrible that we're being so unfair on him by not having something to call him by. He's just the most peaceful and calm little man who doesn't seem seem to be phased by much at all. And because we've known him now for three weeks it's almost like it's harder trying to find that name that 'suits' him. *sigh* I'm sure our friends and family think we are crazy not having named him yet!