Menu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Teenager?

I'm 18 and I have never ever heard anyone use the name Peter to mean that
    Ceilidh Rooney; Lover of names, writing and theatre

Jude Patrick. Emmett Keith. Felix James.
    Arthur Eamon. Henry Isaac. Reuben Wilder.

Eliza Cathleen. Thea Elisabeth. Lucy Saoirse.
    Alice Daisy. Eloise Jane. Della Felicity.

I;m 40 so I of course know what it is slang for, but i just asked my 15year old and he didn't know. Honestly, if I were to hear peter I wouldn't automatically go to the slang meaning as it is such a standard name
    ♥Cole, Christian & Sir Angus Fionn♥

Cordelia Fae * Amelia Hyacinth * Thea Isolde * Hermione Louisa
    William Iowa * Ezra Wilder * Sebastian Lake * Augustus Fable

Elizabeth - Isabella - Adelaide - Cordelia - Beatrice- Hermione - Arabella - Clara - Imogen - Georgia
    William - Jasper - Horatio - Edgar - Gilbert - Sebastian -Bennett - Magnus - Henry - Morgan

New names for Autumn
    Adelaide Maeve - Gilbert Ulysses
    Muriel, Zephyrine, Lior

I just turned 20, so not technically a teen anymore, but close enough. I vaguely remember learning about this term a few years ago, but completely forgot about it until you said something, so I think you’re good.
    Arabella Lily | INFJ | 20 | Rudy ♡
    furries are Aster Lillian & Calypso Bay

Beth • Molly • Millie • Kate • Nell
    Esme • Rose • Faye • Bay • Nina • Lane
    Hank • Teddy • Freddie • Frankie
    Bay • Warner • Warren • Mickey

I’m a teenager and never heard of it

Wɐpǝlǝᴉuǝ┊𓆝𓆟𓆜 ┊ 16

Pandora Celeste | Godiva Io | Isabis Ingrid | Igdalia Hippolyta | Sapphira Agnes | Swanhilda Ivory Cosette | Parisa Amethyst | Euphemia Chrysanthemum | Philippa ‘Pippa’ Juno

Cairo Alexander | Apollo Juniper | Cyrus Zephyr | Salem | Sequoia | Roel Gideon | Conan Jordi

Thinking of
    ˗ˋˏ Laramie ˎˊ˗

I'm a teen (in the US) and I've never heard anyone make fun of the name Peter. But kids can come up with awful nicknames for any name really
    Twin Set

Astrid and Acacius . Bellatrix and Beauregard . Daisy and Dougal . Kaeden and Killian . Lunaria and Levi . Orabella and Obediah . Wildflower and Wrangler

Human to dogs Carmel, Rainier Paxton, and Ryder James, kitten Phinneas McDougal, and various foster animals

〉〉More Names〈〈

I just asked my 21-year-old daughter...she knew what Peter is slang for, but said that in her opinion very few teenagers would know of the reference, or even if they did it wouldn't be their first thought when hearing the name. She said that she thought that Richard would be much problematic. We're in the northeastern U.S., if that helps.
    Mom of Kiersten Elizabeth, aka Kit

*Alexandria*Bryony*Cecelia*Deirdre*Emiliana*France sca*Holly*Isa*Jemima*Kyra*Larissa*Phoebe*Renée*Sa brina*Silvie*Tamsin*Willow*Wren*

*Alasdair*Archer*Brendan*Colin*Dominic*Evan*Holden *James (nn Jamie)*Ian*Karl*Theodore*

I heard of that but never understood why since it doesnt sound like a word for penis like willy or wiener and wouldn't think anything of it if I met someone with the name but I never have
    Favorite names
    • Fliss • Enid • Benji • Hermoine • Billie

I'm a high school teacher and I actually have a student named Peter and no one has made any comments about his name (and believe me, you hear a lot of penis-related slang as a high school teacher). I think the slang is outdated and even if people are aware of it, there are a lot of other associations with the name.
    Julia Catherine

lifelong name nerd and future mother

Mary, Anna, Catherine, Louise, Aoife, Charlotte, Joanna, Margaret, Nina, Rose

Daniel, Luke, Nathan, Michael, David, Robert, Quentin, Rory, Kieran, Alexander

long | lists

I'm not a teenager, but even I think the slang usage of Peter is pretty antiquated. I've only ever heard it used that way in vintage media - never in real life.

I also know a 21-year-old whose given name is "John Thomas" (which had a slang usage similar to Peter, once upon a time) and who goes by Jack. I don't think he's ever had a problem with being teased for his name, even though the slang usages of "Jack" are still very much in play.
    Stephanie Rae
    💍 Married 10.06.18 💙 TTC Evie or Jude 2020 👶
    Furmommy to: Alexander Hamilton *Hammy* & Marquis de Lafayette *Laffy*
    Proud auntie to: Lucy Anne & Leon Jeffrey &
    Mason William & Jaxon Anthony *Jax* & Lyric Alyson

Fairy godmother to: Anastasia Elizabeth *Ana* & Logan Mark Jay

I'm 18, Peter just makes me think of peter pan (which is adorable , never even heard of it being used with any negative connotations.