Menu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How would you pronounce this?

We are (tentatively) planning on a fourth and final baby next year. If it is another girl, we are loving Elena: the way it sounds and that it is 5 letters (we have children in the pattern 4, 3, 4 so we wanted either a name with 3 or 5 letters and landed on Elena). My question is this: how do you pronounce it? I know it can be Ellen-uh, Ee-lay-nuh, or El-ay-nuh and we prefer the last. I'm just curious if we'll be correcting people all the time since our other kids' names are so straightforward. I read that it is the traditional spelling over Elaina but the only one I knew personally was Ellen-uh, so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
    Finn, Leo, and Kate <3

Declan Calder Bartholomew

Mila Violet Elizaveta

Elena Daisy Guinevere | Anya Vivienne Persephone | Freya Lydia Juliet
    Aurora Ivy Olivia | Morgana Clara Genevieve
    Isla Belle Sophia | Stella Margot Emmeline

Oliver Caspian James | Callum Nicholas Evander | August Victor Hugo
    Mason Oscar Theodore | Dimitri Matthew Balthazar
    Theo Frederick Lincoln | Jasper Rupert Anthony

I pronounce it El-ay-nuh and This is the only way I’ve heard it pronounced on tv shows and from people
    Niñas
    Juliette Moon| Rosalie Jude| Camila Wren| Ianthe Willow| Ariadne Snow| Theodora Lark| Demetria Inez| Juno Aurelia

Niños
    Holden River| Nico Evander| Arlo Jasper| Ezra Wolf-Ezra Dimitri| Alaric Sage| Sylvan Rune

In Spanish, it's pronounced Eh-LEH-na, but in English I've only heard it be pronounced as El-ay-nuh. I think it's a lovely name and I love both pronunciations.
    22. Another name nerd not having kids any time soon.

Rosemary Astoria | Eleanor Lavender | Sylvia Arabella | Thea Winifred | Florence Cecilia | Ophelia Clementine | Beatrice Lucille | Rowena Frances | Hester Juniper | Agatha Primrose | Ginevra Magdalen | Matilda Romilly

Benjamin Atlas | Theodore Flynn | Jasper Penrose | Elio Rafael | Percival Colin | Gus Leander | Basil Alejandro | Felix Peregrine | Philip Salinger | Emmanuel Birch | Remy Ignatius | Edmund Bastien

el-AE-nuh (just a clearer way of writing: el-AY-nuh).

For your metadata, I have spent time in NY, overseas, and the US mid-Atlantic.

In locales where latin-based languages are dominant, I imagine you'd hear ELL-ehn-NUH predominately.

I automatically say eh-LEH-nuh and prefer it this way myself. Elena as eh-LAY-nuh is nice too, though. I think you will get both pronunciations here and there, but a quick correction to the way you prefer it would be simple and all would be well.

Just a quick note to say,
    I'm always up for a chat, so feel free to say 'Hey'!

I pronounce it something like uh-LAY-nuh—I guess closest to the third pronunciation you mentioned. I haven't personally met anyone who pronounces it with the emphasis on the first syllable.
    Last edited by ceryle; September 9th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

I say the first syllable somewhere in between the EE and EL sounds, then lay-na for the rest. I’ve never heard Ellen-a, but I’ve heard eh-LEH-na and ee-LEH-na on Russian and Hispanic women.
    cherry . amaryllis . jessamy . dove . wildrose . faye
    harvest . linden . hallam . briar . heath . niles

eloise . 19 . purrbabies: buttercup and cosmo

Eh-lay-nuh would be my instinctive pronunciation but I've met an Elena pn Eh-leh-nuh too so it wouldnt surprise me
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Trying out...
    Cove Harriet|Everett Louisa|Forrest Alaia|Keaton Sophie
    Fox Eulalia|Sylvan Phillipa|Tate Isabella|Rory Winona

El-lay-nuh
    It’s one of my favourite names it’s just so beautiful

Iam Greek, and here we pronounce it EH-leh-nah, so yes there are multiple pronunciations for this name. I guess you have to tell the pronunciation, but I dont think it would be a problem. Elena is a beautiful name, no matter how you pronounce it.
    Please stay home

Sorry for my English. Its not my first language, and I try my best