Menu

Oh, Evelyn . . .

I adore the name Evelyn. It has a beautiful meaning and is quite wonderfully classic. But here is the catch: I’d like to pronounce it “eev-lin,” not “eh-vuh-lin.” Is that utter madness? Should I toss Evelyn aside because I would be setting my child up for a lifetime of correcting the pronunciation of her name?
    Lucy Marigold, Hazel Cornelia, Stella Sunday, Winnie Clover, Sadie Harper, Grace Beatrix, Poppy Avalyn, Rosalind Aria, Scarlett Finley, and Haven Matilda.

Shepherd Charles, Paxton James, Milo Bear, Gideon Sage, Knox Bravery, Elijah Wolf, Wyatt Langley, Tobias Wilder, Deacon James, and Asher Isaiah.

Holland Elias and Piper Adeline

I think it's utter madness! Lol

The child will grow up with everyone calling her eh-vuh-lin for sure!

I have come across a couple of people in the name nerd world who also like that pronunciation, but I honestly think it might be more trouble than it's worth - sorry.
    Mumma to Owen Shepherd

Hazel Adeline + Nora Eve + Mae Evelyn + Eliza Audrey + Iris Eleanor

Theo Archer + Jonah Matthew + Kai Benjamin + Flynn Grayson

I thi k it would be a pain for her. You could go with Eve Lynne with Lynne as mn that you use, but that’s not super pretty-looking and doesn’t quite match the sound. Prob keep searching!
    Replying to posts to say what you made of the help should be standard NB etiquette - please reply! 🤓

Evelyn is a beautiful name! I like both pronunciations. What about Eveline?
    Alice Marigold | Agatha Noelle | Aurora Violet | Isabella Wren | Magdalena Ruby | Margot Felicity |
    Rosalie Moon | Serena Jasmine | Victoria Primrose | Valentina Skye

Alexander Matthias | Benjamin Arthur | Edmund Philip | Frederick Lewis | Gabriel Vincent | Henry Theodore |
    Liam Hawthorne | Lucas Nightingale | Sebastian Thomas | William Bravery

If I remember rightly there’s a character on one of my mum’s UK based soap operas named Evelyn with the eev-lyn pn. It wouldnt be a difficult to correct, just might be a little irritating.
    ◦•●✿haley✿●•◦
    rough & tumble
    logan elizabeth, savannah jane, remington lily, aspen emily, oakley belle
    boone thomas, levi joshua, luke addison, austin zachary, garrett john
    mia bethany, london isla, landry emma, kendall lucy, evelyn daisy
    brooks daniel, rhett william, ethan jack, dallas james, hayes alexander

I think with a name that is so well known with one pronounciation, using a different one would be very risky.
    Sienna Elsie|Eden Olivia|Lyra Isabella|Cora Eloise|Thea Ivy|Lila Iris| Ivy Winter|Lydia Kate

Ramsey Flynn|Finnegan Reid|Wilder Elliott|Reid Valentine|Flynn Shepherd|Atlas James|Nolan Alexander|Greyson Wilder|Edmund Fox|August Wolf|Sullivan Wyatt

I live in the UK where "eev-lin" is the most common pronunciation of Evelyn, so people would automatically pronounce it the way you'd want.

In other countries though, I think it would be quite difficult to enforce a pronunciation other than "ev-uh-lin", and you might even get other people thinking you're pronouncing it wrong because they'd never come across it before.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Oliver, Darcy, Orlando

Living in the UK, i always assumed Eev-linn was how it was pronounced until I started using nameberry! I think she would spend a lot of time correcting the pronunciation.
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus