Menu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nicknames for Whitney? I Don't Like My Name..

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here and I actually made an account just to get help with this. My name is Whitney and I have never really cared for it. In fact, I feel a little self conscious about it. I'm 32 years old, but I have social anxiety, so I've always been very shy and soft spoken. I feel like my name is more suited to a bubbly, peppy type person, who probably used to be a cheerleader, haha.

A lot of my family calls me "Whit", but that's not really better in my opinion. I don't mind family calling me by my given name, but I wish I had something different to introduce myself as to new people. My husband and I are thinking about moving to the opposite coast in the next few years, which would be a perfect time to start going by a different name.

I don't want to just choose a random new name, but I can't really think of nicknames for Whitney. I've entertained the idea of going by my middle name, Marie. It's not my favorite, but it may be better than Whitney.

Nickname suggestions I have received so far are:

Winnie (Don't care for it)

NeeNee (Yeah right, that's what my friends 4 year old calls me because he can't pronounce my name, lol)

Wynn (I think this one is kinda pretty, but it's a stretch to link it to Whitney)

If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it so much!
    Last edited by whitney.marie; September 2nd, 2019 at 12:56 PM.

That's tough... The only nicknames I thought of were Whit and Winnie. Maybe Nee (not NeeNee, just Nee lol)? I know someone named this (not born in an English speaking country). It's similar enough to Leigh that no one blinks.
    For the record, I think Wynn totally works and it's a beautiful and gentle name.

Maybe a similar sounding name will do?
    Britney (tbh, this gives me popular cheerleader vibes too, but maybe you have a different association)
    Courtney (I feel like this works on almost everyone!)
    Quinn
    Wendy
    Gwen (this is nice and soft sounding)
    Gwendolyn
    Winter
    Willa (I think this would work well)
    Willow

There are also many variations of/similar sound names to Marie that you might like. Some that I think fit your personality: Maris, Marian, Rosemary.

Or maybe something related to a childhood nickname or another name your parents considered but didn't end up calling you?

ABIGALE ASTRA | IVY CASSIA | SIENA EVE
    SOPHIE MADELIEF | TESSA ELYSE | VIOLET ADELAIS
    EMILY ~ ERIS ~ RUE

listography.com/scater

ALDEN REEVE | ANSEL GRAY | CALLAN WILDER
    KIT OLIVIER | MATTHEW RHYS | SOREN VALE
    COLM ~ JUDE ~ TOBIAS

I don't think Wynn (or Win/Winn) is a stretch at all! Tenny/Tennie is the only other thing I can think of...
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

Hmmm what about a nickname from your middle name or using some of the letters from both. I'm thinking

Mari
    Marney
    Tammy
    Wren
    mama of DK & SE & #3 <3
    Angelica Anaïs . Eden Aurora . Sierra Xanthe
    Veronica Violet . Willow Noelle . Zoë Autumn

Damian Fox . Elliott Forest . Milo Justus . River Maximilian
    Sage Raphael . Tristan Xavier . Vincent Blaise

For what it’s worth I think Whitney is very beautiful and elegant.

Wynn is not too far of a stretch. It really works!

Thank you very much, and thank you to everyone who has answered so far. I don't think I'd have a problem with the name on other people, but I've never really felt suited to it. Also, I get A LOT of Whitney Houston comments, which gets old. It doesn't help that my last name starts with an H, so my work name tag says "Whitney H". People say, "what's the H stand for? Houston?" Or they ask me to sing something for them. It might not seem like much to most people, but it just adds to my social anxiety.

Out of the names that have been talked about so far I'm leaning towards Wynn or Wendy. I feel like I would have a hard time adjusting to a name that strayed too far in sound and those feel close enough. What do you guys think between those two?

I adore Wynn in theory and I think it looks brilliant, but I would be concerned about it sounding like the name is Win, you know? I’m not generally a fan of Wendy, but once I picture the Peter Pan imagery they provided for the name, I like it a lot more. They both have their pros and cons, so I would just weigh those out for what’s more important to you and which you would feel for comfortable with. I can see either one fitting you!
    Surprise!
    Emerald Charlotte
    is due february eighth

anouk : fable : vesper : maxine : lilac : hollis : zella
    july : auden : merritt : briar : harbor : ellis : hallam

Of those two, I prefer Wynn. Even though it can be a name in its own right, it sounds more like a nickname for Whitney, whereas Wendy sounds like a different name entirely, if that makes sense. Wynn is also a little "quieter"—light and sweet.
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

I think Wendy is a little more understated compared to Wynn. I feel like Wynn is soft and gentle but still a bit attention grabbing, while a Wendy can slide under the radar a little more.

ABIGALE ASTRA | IVY CASSIA | SIENA EVE
    SOPHIE MADELIEF | TESSA ELYSE | VIOLET ADELAIS
    EMILY ~ ERIS ~ RUE

listography.com/scater

ALDEN REEVE | ANSEL GRAY | CALLAN WILDER
    KIT OLIVIER | MATTHEW RHYS | SOREN VALE
    COLM ~ JUDE ~ TOBIAS

So, I've still been thinking about this a lot and playing with some of the names you suggested. At first I was leaning towards Wynn because I love the way it looks written. But I can't really get over how it makes me think "win" as others have pointed out.

For some reason I don't like Willa, though I could see it growing on me over time.
    I do like Willow. Willa gives me the impression of a boys name with an 'a' thrown on to make it sound feminine. I wish there was a different spelling or something. I feel like names like that need a little something extra attached to them , like Willa Mae, Billie Jean, Billie Jo, etc. Some people might think of Willow as a hippie name, but I don't feel that way about it. To me it feels very graceful and pretty. I'm also pretty tall, 5'9", and fairly slender, which seems like a pretty good visual match.

And most importantly, my dad's name was William and he passed away when I was 11. When I was little I remember him asking me if I would keep my last name when I got married. He had two girls and no boys, so no one to carry on his name. It was easy to promise him I'd keep it since I couldn't even picture myself grown up and married. I don't think he actually meant it, and even if he really wanted me to, I don't think he'd ever hold me to my "promise." But since he is gone now and I can't talk to him about it I feel a little pang of guilt. I'm engaged and I do plan on taking my fiance's name.* I feel like with Willow, at least I can be honoring part of his name. It also makes me feel like I'm not grabbing a random name out of the air, since I've found meaning in it. I also feel like it would be easier to explain to my mom why some people are calling me Willow.

I was hoping to get some thoughts here on what you guys think of the name choice and the whole situation.*

Edit:

I have also just discovered and am kind of liking Wylie, which says it's a "Scottish, diminutive of William"
    Last edited by whitney.marie; September 7th, 2019 at 11:52 AM.