Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting way to honour dad...?

My dad passed away last year — pretty young and pretty suddenly — and we want to honour him by naming our son after him. The only trouble is my dad and my husband had (have?) the same name... and we don’t like the idea of our son having the same name as his own father. I know the practice of having a son and father sharing a name is customary in some circles, but we don’t want people to think we’re naming our baby after my husband when it’s really our baby’s late grandfather we’re hoping to honour. (Long story, sorry)

SO!!! What do people think about this... my father loved motorcycles. It was always a bit of a surprise to people, because to meet my dad he was always quite bookish looking/soft spoken/honestly a bit dweeby. But boy, did he love his bikes. He rode everywhere, and it became a true passion for him in the last 15 years of his life.

And with this, we thought about Rider. (Not Ryder, but Rider) What do you guys think of Rider? Is it too close to trendy names like Parker, Carter, Ryker, Harper, etc.? Please be honest. We’re NOT at all into those kinds of names.

Options for full names might be:
    Rider Joshua
    Rider Clarke
    Rider Michael
    Rider Wallace
    **open to others**

Our last name also starts with R.

Well there are a lot of ways to honor people, you could use a name for something someone loved/did. Much like how surnames came about. You could give your boy your father's and husbands name as his middle along with that and honor them both. If you like your father's middle name or your maiden name , either of those could be his middle. You could give him a name meaning son of something to do with your father, say if he loved cars, you could get away with Carson. I don't have a suggestion for bikes but possibly a name with meaning that connects to the freedom of riding or something about third since his father and grandfather have the same name like Tripp and then their name? It is ok to name him for both. A name can hold a lot of meaning beyond just liking it. As far as Rider, it's a surname and likely gets use. He would fit right in with the Walker/ Parker / Carter crowd but it isn't ultra popular like some of them. Personally I don't love love those names either but some are just so nice. I really like Thayer personally. You can always use an occupational name like that, like I said it's a great way to honor someone. Lots of options here. Look at meaning and see what looks good on paper and sounds good and feels right.
    Psalm 127:3-5

Hi there.

My dad passed away suddenly last year too. I don't particularly plan on having children, but if I did I love the idea of having a son named David after my dad. However, dh's brother & nephew are also named David, so it wouldn't work. My dad was passionate about baseball all of his life, as am I and it was a special bond that we shared. So, I had thought of using the name Gibson to honor him after his favorite baseball player. A super round about way, but my point is that I totally get your sentiment w/Rider & think it's very very sweet. Rider is a very cool name, & maybe there's no good reason for this, but don't lump it in w/Parker, Carter, Ryker, Harper at all. I've always liked the name (Rider Strong in Boy Meets World, maybe!) . Are the mns honor names? I kind of think that Rider Wallace is the most interesting.

Hope this helps.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Eleanor, Clementine, Gerty

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Nolan, Shiloh

I think pulling a name from somthing you associate with your father or something he loved is a really beautiful idea. Rider is a good idea although it is little trendy and in the same vain with the names you listed that you aren't into, and I can see most people assuming it's spelled Ryder. Something you might consider is what you might name a sibling to this baby, if you want the names to go together that might effect how you feel about Rider.

Other ideas that fit with the motorcycle idea:
    Axel
    Gage
    Davidson

Other ideas to pull honor names from:
    His birth month/ stone/ color/ flower
    Favorite author
    Book he read to you as a child
    An activity you enjoyed together
    A word that describes him
    A name that he really liked/ might have picked for you
    Maybe he named one of his vehicles and you could pull insperation from that
    An artist/ musician he admired
    An event that sticks out in your mind
    Street name where he was raised
    City where he was raised
    Character he admired
    Actor he admired
    Favorite song

For example I have Wilder as a middle because the Little house on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder was a huge part of my relationship with my father as a child.

Hope this helps!
    Amber/American/25

~Gents~
    Caspian Michael Arrow
    Roland Arthur Quill
    Phillip Noah Stone
    Frederick Wesley Quest
    Sullivan James Wilder
    Kip▪Ro▪Pip▪Rex▪Van

~Ladies~
    Bridget Marie Story
    Cordelia Renee Poem
    Avalon Eloise Maple
    Mabel Anne Clover
    Jet▪Cody▪Ollie▪Billie

first middles are family names
    nicknames at the bottom

My concern would be with your surname starting with an R.

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17

The Ones That Got Away
    Gentlemen: Raphael Bardia, Soren Aryo, Sidney Pasha, Tobias Rostam, Elias Bahram
    Ladies: Verity Azadeh, Artemisia Patrice, Aida Marguerite, Annora Laleh, Camellia Baran

I'd say Ryder and Ryker feel trendy, but Rider not as much. I don't love it personally, but I do love the meaning it has for you. I think the alliteration is fine—even pretty cool—with your last name as long as it's not R-heavy. (Rider Rourke would take a lot of effort to say! Rider Robinson is a little easier.)

Harley is another option (if he was a Harley guy).
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

My father passed away a long time ago and I too spent awhile (my whole pregnancy) trying to work out how to honour him through my daughter’s name. My two nephews have his name as their middle names so I wanted something different, particularly as I was already incorporating my/his surname as one of my daughter’s surnames. Anyway, in the end I used his birth month, June, as my daughter’s middle name. It’s very subtle but for me it’s symbolic of a celebration of his life rather than his death.

Another idea I toyed around with was using Phoenix somewhere in her, or a future son’s (I prefer it for boys) name, as it has the same meaning as my dad’s name.

Anyway, those are some others ideas for you, but I do love the sentiment behind Rider. Even though it’s not a name I love the meaning makes it special. I say go for it. If you are concerned about it being similar to trendy names you don’t like you could always use it as a middle name instead.

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by tdfm; August 31st, 2019 at 08:33 PM.

I personally don't love Rider (though I do love Ryder) but I adore the personal meaning behind it for you. Another way to honour him could be Harley, if he liked Harley Davidsons? That's a way I personally want to honour my own father.

luna florence | briar daveena | ophelia "fifi" june
    willow katherine | octavia hermione

perseus "percy" james | harley orpheus | spencer rodney
    dean sirius | charlie phoenix

I am so sorry about your dad. I think Rider is a lovely way to honor him and the i spelling instead of y makes it way less trendy in my eyes.

My only concern (and in light of Rider's significance, I definitely see this as a non-issue. Just thought I'd bring it up in case it bothers you and your husband) is that Rider _middle_ makes Rider seem like a title. Like the image in my head is a bunch of people on motorcycles and someone standing on the driveway, pointing out "Oh there's Rider 1 and Rider 2. That one's rider Michael."
    Granted, saying them out loud, Rider Michael is the only combo that brought that to mind. Rider Clarke feels surname-heavy and Wallace isn't my favorite, but I really do like Rider Joshua a lot. I think it sounds lovely when spoken and visually looks very balanced.

Alliteration isn't my favorite, but I would not give up a name I liked just because of it, so I think it's fine that your last name starts with R!
    ava madrigal | elysia mirren | florence mairéad
    marvel louisa | odessa gray | penelope wildrose
    sorcha tempest | tess meridian | violet saskia

listography.com/scater

ansel gray | auburn matteo | colm tobias
    evening hugh | gatlin foster | kit olivier
    rhys william | river samuel | soren vale

The previous posters have shared some great ideas...I will just add a few additional thoughts.

First of all I think honouring your dad with a name tied to his hobby/passion is a beautiful thing. Rider is totally usable.

I know a little Ryder well and have always thought his name was super cute (if not necessarily my style). I do see it as a bit of a dying trend which in my context is also sort of associated with working-class families. I don't know if that is true statistically across the board, but that is the association I have.

If I met a Rider, I would assume the spelling was Ryder. The spelling Ryder feels more "like a name" to me than Rider, but that's probably because I know a Ryder so well.

I also am curious about how it will sound with your last name. Sometimes double letters sound great, but it really depends on the name. Could you share your last name or at least what the first sound is?
    Mom to Cedar 杉 and Evren 宇宙