Menu
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Throw some names at me!

I’m 40+6 and stressing because no name on our list feels right anymore. I’m finding a fault with every one of them...

Florence - too popular (15 in the UK)
    Evangeline/Anastasia - too frilly?
    Beatrice vs Beatrix?
    Esme, Esmée, Esmee? - EzMay or EzMe?
    Lucia - Too many pronunciations.
    Aurora - Clashes with all the boy names we love
    Theodora/Dorothy/Dorothea - Theodore is our favourite boy’s name.

I’m at a loss *sigh* I’m also fed up of being pregnant and just want this baby out of me! I’m hoping when we meet her, we’ll know but share some suggestions please?

Our eldest is Violet. We’ll be using two middle names and one of them will either be Orlaith or Niamh. Bonus points for anything with a ‘nice meaning’ but I think that’s what is limiting us. Thank you!
    Last edited by greensparkles; August 29th, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Violet Felicity Cara
    our little rainbow
    born Feb 2018

Florence Aster Bríd
    our little flower
    born Sept 2019

I love Lucia, Anastasia, Aurora and Esme from your list.

If you don't want Lucia how about Lucy or Lucille?

Other suggestions...
    Clara - bright, clear, famous.
    Phoebe - bright, pure.
    Faye - fairy.
    Caitlin - pure.
    Flora - flower. Maybe not with the flora butter?
    Naomi - pleasant.
    Fleur - flower.
    Greta - pearl.
    Iris - rainbow.
    Verity - truth.
    Felicity - happiness.
    Felicia - happiness.
    Elena - light.
    Rosalie - rose.
    Laura - laurel crown.
    Estelle - star.
    Stella - star.
    Harriet - ruler.
    Jessamine - Jasmine.
    Mira - peace, world.
    Mirabel - wonderful.
    Amabel - loveable.
    Amy - beloved.
    Katherine - pure.
    Daphne - laurel.
    Rowena - fame, joy, bliss.
    Anna - favour, grace.

Florence - Lovely, but the popularity would get me too
    Evangeline/Anastasia - I don’t think Evangeline is as frilly as Anastasia, which is full princess.
    Beatrice vs Beatrix - both are spunky and vintage, I’m learning towards Beatrix
    Esme, Esmée, Esmee? - I pronounce it EzMay and I prefe is hthe Esme spelling
    Lucia - I agree too many pronunciations, and i see this one getting popular fast
    Aurora - Beautiful, but can be a mouthful
    Theodora/Dorothy/Dorothea - I prefer Dorothea, especially since Theodore is you favorite boy name. Unique, vintage, great nickname options

Genevieve
    Cordelia
    Josephine
    Clementine
    Aurelia
    Isadora
    Imogen
    Penelope
    Ophelia
    Ariadne
    Helena
    Winona
    Daphne
    Cressida
    Cosima
    Niñas
    Juliette Moon| Rosalie Jude| Camila Wren| Ianthe Willow| Ariadne Snow| Theodora Lark| Demetria Inez| Juno Aurelia

Niños
    Holden River| Nico Evander| Arlo Jasper| Ezra Wolf-Ezra Dimitri| Alaric Sage| Sylvan Rune

Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

Last edited by sugarplum.fairy; August 29th, 2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020
    ...and so the countdown begins...8 days until due date!

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

Florence - although this is at #15 in the UK, I have never come across one. Then again, I don't know many children, so perhaps my perception isn't quite accurate. Although #15 seems high, don't forget there are a lot more names out there now. So whereas 10 years ago #15 may have been 1 in 100, now she's probably more like 1 in 1000. Obvious suggestion but how about Flora?

Evangeline/Anastasia - I've never been a fan of Evangeline for some reason, but I love Anastasia! Not too frilly at all and lots of sweet nickname options. How about Annalise, Evelyn, or Emmeline?

Beatrice vs Beatrix - definitely Beatrix! Beatrice has always felt very outdated and doesn't give me very nice imagery. Beatrix however is sweet and quirky!

Esme, Esmée, Esmee? - EzMay or EzMe? - I'd stick with Esme, or even Esmie if you prefer the -ee pronounciation (which is how I would say it, unless there was an accent.) Have you considered Elowen, Elodie, Eleni, or Eden?

Lucia - I do have to agree with you on this one - I say Loo-shia but you would get lots of different versions of this. What about Lucinda or Lucille?

Aurora - This is so adorable and sweet! It's a shame it clashes with your favourite boys' names. What about Aurelia?

Theodora/Dorothy/Dorothea - Out of these I only like Dorothy. I think you have to weigh up a few factors. Firstly, you may never get to use Theodore, or perhaps if you do have a boy you will end up choosing a different name. Is it worth sacrificing one of these names to maybe or maybe not use Theodore in the future? If you don't love them, then perhaps it's not such an issue. But if you loved one of these, you would, obviously, have to decide if it's worth the risk.
    Sienna Elsie|Eden Olivia|Lyra Isabella|Cora Eloise|Thea Ivy|Lila Iris| Ivy Winter|Lydia Kate

Ramsey Flynn|Finnegan Reid|Wilder Elliott|Reid Valentine|Flynn Shepherd|Atlas James|Nolan Alexander|Greyson Wilder|Edmund Fox|August Wolf|Sullivan Wyatt

Florence - Florence is a really great name, I don't know what stats are available for UK as far as what percentage of babies are named each name but I'd suggest looking at them, IMO the rankings just by number are a little misleading and in the US at least after the first few names the percentage really lowers. Alternatives: Flora, Florentine, Flossie
    Evangeline/Anastasia - Whether they're too frilly is really a matter of preference, I don't see anything wrong with either name! Alternatives: Eva, Evelyn, Evelina, Annabelle, Annabeth, Anais, Annika
    Beatrice vs Beatrix - I don't think you can really go wrong with either to be honest, I prefer Beatrice but that's just personal preference and neither is inherently worse than the other
    Esme, Esmée, Esmee? - TBH if you can't pick a pronunciation I don't think you should use it. My favorite spelling is Esme, and I prefer the ez-may pronunciation
    Lucia - If you feel that way then take it off. Maybe Lucy?
    Aurora - If you feel like it doesn't sound good with any boy names you like then take it off, but I will say that IMO sibsets where the names aren't all the same theme feel more interesting and more unexpected
    Theodora/Dorothy/Dorothea - I'd say take these all off if Theodore is your favorite boy name

Camilla/Camille, Rosalind, Edith, Alice, Marina, Mirabelle, Aurelia, Harriet, Louisa, Eloise, Adelaide, Charlotta/Carlotta, Caroline, Genevieve, Gwendolyn, Cordelia, Morwenna, Demelza, Josephine, Clementine, Eleanor, Matilda, Isadora, Seraphina, Imogen, Cora, Arabella, Amelia, Adeline, Julia, Astrid, Penelope, Adriana, Audrey, Jane, Ophelia, Eliza, Felicity, Freya, Mabel, Emmeline, Elodie, Elowen, Frances, Francesca, Francine, Willa, Phoebe, Margaret, Margot, Helena/Elena, Cecily, Cecilia, Athena, Daphne, Alexandra/Alexandria, Annalise, Cosima, Esther, Agatha, Henrietta, Leonora, Cressida, Georgia/Georgina/Georgiana, Dottie, Octavia, Lucille, Lucinda, Delphine, Ruth, Miriam, Marian/Marion, Judith, Eugenia, Araminta
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

Thanks everyone. I’ll go through all your posts throughly tomorrow. But just a quick reply...

I’ve also never met a Florence and I’m a primary school teacher.

I prefer the spelling Esmée personally but like Esme too. I’d pronounce it Ez-May but I think both spelling and pronunciation is something we’d have to explain a lot. Same with Lucia, we’d go with Lou-See-Ah with CiCi as a nickname to try to make the pronunciation clearer.

Aurora is one of my favourite names and was almost Violet’s name. Our top boy names are Arthur and Theodore however which I think share too many of the same sounds to use together, if we were to have a boy in the future? I feel like we’d just use it or Theodora, Dorothy, Dorothea if our next baby was another girl.
    Violet Felicity Cara
    our little rainbow
    born Feb 2018

Florence Aster Bríd
    our little flower
    born Sept 2019

Florence is beautiful but I understand your concerns about popularity. Aurora and Lucia are also beautiful but clearly have some flaws re pronunciation/closeness to other names for you, so for me your best options are Beatrix and Evangeline (I personally don’t love the remaining names). Evangeline isn’t too frilly to me, and she could go by Evy if you’d like, and it sounds lovely with Violet. Beatrix is a great vintage option with a lot of spunk (to me the x ending gives it that edge that Beatrice is lacking) and it seems you don’t have any specific issues with it.

Others of a similar style you might like:

Matilda (but too popular I guess)
    Amelie
    Clara
    Willa
    Thea
    Maeve
    Eleanor
    Bronte
    Della
    Freya
    Olive
    Marlowe
    India
    Flora
    Ivy
    Xanthe
    Clementine
    Margot
    Pearl
    Luella
    Ophelia
    Isobel
    June
    Celine
    Iris
    Billie
    Elowen
    Juniper
    Elodie
    Frankie
    Edie
    Alice
    Maple
    Daisy
    Lyra
    Anouk
    Dahlia
    Paloma
    Maribel
    Camille
    Emmeline
    Ada
    Marigold
    Arden
    Winifred
    Rose

Any of these would be nice with Violet in my opinion but I think you should go with Beatrix or Evangeline!

I love Aurora the most but I understand your concerns with a future brother. Florence and Beatrix go great with Violet. I don't find Evangeline frilly, but Anastasia is to me (even though I do like it, it may be too much next to streamlined Violet).

Annabelle/Isabelle/Belle
    Cora
    Claudia
    Cecily
    Rhea
    Clara/Claire
    Elara/Ara
    Elodie
    Felicity
    Fiona
    Nola
    Norah
    Nova
    Olive
    Oona/Una
    Willa
    Minna
    Mila
    Maisie
    Greta
    Greer
    Ginevra
    Gwen
    Eira
    Hannah
    Ilaria
    Irina
    Imogen
    Hazel
    Heidi
    Gemma
    Pippa
    Phoebe
    Rosalie
    Sienna
    Sybil
    Thora
    Talia
    Tessa/Tess
    Zoe
    Zosia
    Zella

Sorry for any repeats and I hope some of these help. Good luck with baby, she'll be here soon, it's almost over!
    Finn, Leo, and Kate <3

Declan Calder Bartholomew

Mila Violet Elizaveta

Elena Daisy Guinevere | Anya Vivienne Persephone | Freya Lydia Juliet
    Aurora Ivy Olivia | Morgana Clara Genevieve
    Isla Belle Sophia | Stella Margot Emmeline

Oliver Caspian James | Callum Nicholas Evander | August Victor Hugo
    Mason Oscar Theodore | Dimitri Matthew Balthazar
    Theo Frederick Lincoln | Jasper Rupert Anthony