Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My concerns about Maddie

So, I think Madeline/Maddie is the name I’ve just felt the most connected to for my baby (if it’s a girl, still don’t find out for 7ish weeks). However, I think I’ve been somewhat subconsciously trying to find a substitute for it as I have some concerns. So basically, I think how popular it is bothers me more than I thought it would and also I grew up with a few Maddie’s, so I’m worried it’s kind tied to being a 90s/2000s baby name. I really like Maggie also and I think it’s in second place for me, but I don’t know, Maddie just seems to be the most natural fit and it has the whole time. Another thing - I’m not sure I can see Madeline/Maddie on a baby or toddler, but I really like it on kids beyond those ages. I know a little 2 year old called Maddie and it just seems odd. Any thoughts or words of wisdom regarding my concerns (PSA: not really looking for opinions on the name itself, more on how I’m feeling about it)?

Sorry for the rambling. My pregnancy brain is not very good at forming cohesive and concise thoughts LOL
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020
    ...and so the countdown begins...8 days until due date!

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

I think you have a long way to go in your pregnancy, so don't force yourself to get tied down to one name right now.

That being said, I think it's hard to see a lot of names on babies, until you see them. Meaning, I've had babies named Patricia and Norma and Helen come into my place of work, and I would never THINK of those names myself, but then, there they are and you've connected the name with a face and that's it! It doesn't take very long to get over that hump, but it can be hard to imagine your own baby until it's here.

For what it's worth, I think Madeline is great and I can absolutely see it (or Maddie!) on an infant or a toddler, as well as an adult.

To me Maddie/Madeline feels very versatile. It has feminine elegance, it can be cutesy, it can feel rough and tumble. I wouldn't associate it with a particular time period personally
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

Being a teacher and at the age where myself and all my friends have young kids, Madeline/Maddie is an EXTREMELY popular name. Therefore, seeing/hearing it on a baby is very normal to me.
    Mama to V!v!an + Nor@h

Petra Josephine-Claire Athena-Susanna Piper-Annemarie James-Margot Hanna-Caroline Sawyer-Jane Mariana-Iris Annemarie

Jasper Elias-Harvey James-Silas Patrick-Drake Ennis-Miles Birch-Beau Jameson-Drew Cedar-Cyrus Eli

I am a teacher too and know lots of Maddies. I honestly think it suits many ages and diverse personalities. If you love it, go for it!
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

@yellowplums I do still have a long way to go. I keep trying to remind myself of that, but it already seems like I’ve been pregnant for forever and I’m only a little over 13 weeks. I’m a major planner, so it’s hard for me to remember that I don’t have to set a name in stone just yet, but I do appreciate the reminder. It’s helpful hearing it from someone other than myself.

My biggest thing with it being popular is that (to me) it often comes off as not thought out, even if it was.
    Rachel Elise

Some other favorites

Your baby will only be a baby for a short time. Everything you're worried about won't really matter down the line. And if you don't like Maddie as nickname Dell or Dilley is an option for Madeline. Madeline is a lovely name.

I do know a lot of Maddies/Madelines, and I do find it dated to the early 2000's. I know you didn't ask for opinions on the name itself. I'm saying this because it's important that you decide whether or not you can accept many people thinking the way I do about your Maddie/Madeline.
    If yes, good for you, that's great! If not, maybe look into another name. Maggie is a great idea, and so are other similar names like Millie, Maisie, Molly, Mae, Addie, Marnie, Margie etc. Good luck!
    💐💐💐
    ❤ Clementine Edith Pearl ❤
    Dorothy Lilac • Gwendolen Bee • Heidi Rosemary • Lavender Belle
    Lettie Rosalind • Marguerite Joy 'Mae' • Rosamund Lane • Winifred Hope

❤ Lionel Forrest Jude ❤
    Clement Wilde 'Clay' • Clyde Peregrine • Edmund Wolfe • Fergus Frederick
    Percy Noble • Reuben Sage • Seamus Bear • Stanley Ocean

@18_25 Yes, those are all good point. I’ll have to keep reminding myself of those. I love Maddie, actually, but Dell is cute.

@emmievis No, I did want to know how people felt about how popular it is and what era they tied it to, I just was trying to stop people from being like “well I don’t like the name”, you know? Not from what you said at all, that was exactly what I was looking from. Thank you!
    Rachel Elise

Some other favorites

I also grew up with many Maddies, and unfortunately I do find it tied to the 90s and a bit predictable. Madeline in full is beautiful, though, and still feels fresh to me. Would your baby be Maddie all the time, or just sometimes at home?