Menu

View Poll Results: Which one, if you don't hate them all, do you like the most?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ares

11 44.00%
  • Archer

9 36.00%
  • Carson

8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Lightbulb Unusual Girl Names: Potential Draw Backs?

What are the potential negatives associated with having an unusual girl name?
    Do people really worry about it looking like you "tried too hard"?
    What advice do you have if you picked masculine girl names?

My names right now for a girl are: Ares, Archer or Carson - Help!

I don't advice you to use Ares as it is the name of the God of War and according to nameberry it means "ruin".
    I don't think it is bad at all to use an unusual name. There are a lot of traditional names that are not used nowadays. And there are many international names that a lot of people never heard about. As long as you know the name's meaning and origin I think it is fine. I believe that it is important to have a connection with the name and language. For example, I've seen Cova and Cove in some forums (Cova means "grave" in Portuguese). Research is very important to me.
    On my mind, trying to hard is when parents completely change the names' spellings just to have an unique/different name.
    I'm not a fan of masculine names for girls but I advice you to create a combo with a feminine name.
    Alice Marigold | Agatha Noelle | Aurora Violet | Isabella Wren | Magdalena Ruby | Margot Felicity |
    Rosalie Moon | Serena Jasmine | Victoria Primrose | Valentina Skye

Alexander Matthias | Benjamin Arthur | Edmund Philip | Frederick Lewis | Gabriel Vincent | Henry Theodore |
    Liam Hawthorne | Lucas Nightingale | Sebastian Thomas | William Bravery

I picked Carson because she could use Carrie or Cara if she preferred something more feminine. Some more masculine names for girls that I like:
    Rory
    Dylan
    Devon
    Ariel
    Kieran
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

I picked Archer because i like Archie on a girl.

The drawbacks of Carson and Archer are that they're both very popular on boys atm. Ares might have pronunciation issues
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I love Ares alot, not a fan of the other two even though they're unisex. Just dont like the look of Carson, Carsen would be better, but Archer makes me think of the nickname Archie and I really hate hearing that personally.

Carson is very masculine, it contains son and is very common for boys. Archer is also gaining popularity. As someone who is Greek, I'd advise you against using Ares on a girl. Really, any Greek person would find it pretty ridiculous. Ari would be adorable though
    💐💐💐
    ❤ Clementine Edith Pearl ❤
    Dorothy Lilac • Gwendolen Bee • Heidi Rosemary • Lavender Belle
    Lettie Rosalind • Marguerite Joy 'Mae' • Rosamund Lane • Winifred Hope

❤ Lionel Forrest Jude ❤
    Clement Wilde 'Clay' • Clyde Peregrine • Edmund Wolfe • Fergus Frederick
    Percy Noble • Reuben Sage • Seamus Bear • Stanley Ocean

I would not choose a name for a girl that is mainly used for boys at this point in time. On the school intercom, messages, etc., because names that are used almost entirely for boys, it will be assumed she is a male which would be annoying to her, I think. I know someone with twin girls that gave one a feminine name and the other is named Archer and it looks like she wanted a boy and a girl. I would choose a name that is truly unisex for her.

I love unusual names but I also believe that there is a fine line--admittedly a very subjective fine line--between an unusual name and trying too hard to be unusual. It's very difficult to put into words, and obviously a matter of personal taste and opinion, but sometimes a name just seems so contrived that you think the parents were straining very hard to be quirky.
    And one of the areas that I often feel falls into the "trying too hard " category, is boy names on girls. This is a very broad generalization with many exceptions, but it sometimes seems that instead of being edgy and transgressive in using a boy's name on a girl, parents are really saying subconsciously that girls's names aren't good enough.