Menu

Thread: Useable?

Useable?

Hi there!

I'm 4 weeks from my due date with a surprise gender baby #2. My hubby and I picked a boy's name easily, and could each name 5 or 10 girls happily, but not agree together, lol. We're going back through some names that we have ruled out previously to try and reconsider. One problem we have is that out last name is a 1 syllable name that ends with -am. So many names that we both could agree on seem to sound clunky with our -am last name! I'm wondering if you think any of these first names could work alright with our -am last name. (Have you figured out what this -am name is that causes us trouble?!?!) For a little context on our taste, we both want names that are straightforward to spell and pronounce, familiar, but he tends to prefer 1980's top 20's and I tend to prefer 1920's/30's/40's top 20's

Marianne/Annemarie
    Anne/Anna (I like the nn Annie)
    Diane
    Hannah
    Amy

Thanks berries!

Amy is my favourite. It wont be so common nowadays but has similarities to many of the current names

Next favourite is Anne. So simple but has that soft/strong balance I love
    Olive Margaret / 21.10.18

Ginny Florence
    Fay Marigold
    Cleo Seraphina
    -Edie-Delphi-Marcy-Fifer-Romy-Lauren-Alma-

Dustin James
    Grady Stefan
    Chester Maxwell
    -Edwin-Reggie-Lennox-Fergus-Murphy-Casper-

I haven't figured out the surname, but I think Amy could work because it wouldn't repeat the short a sound.
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

Of the list, I think Amy would sound the best with -am, because the vowel sound is different. Marianne and Hannah also sound decent to my ear with the various -am names I can think of. You could still get the nickname Annie from Marianne.
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

I think Anne/Anna fits both of your preferences. Its vintage, but it's a familiar favorite.

Other ideas...
    Anneliese
    Susan
    Helena
    Roseanne
    ~Joan/Joanie, Winifred/Winry, Heidi~
    Evangeline | Felicity | Mae | Alice | Dorothy | Ingrid | Margaery | Elizabeth | Bernadette

~Conrad, Rex, Isaac/Ike~
    William | Hugh | Herschel | Ian | Barnaby | Hugo | Lawrence | Rowan | Donovan | Xavier

Hi there.

Here are my thoughts on your list:

Marianne/Annemarie-Hm. I kind of like Marianne, but I don't know that it's easy to spell & pronounce. I kind of feel like it may be mistaken for Marian? But I'm guessing that you like Mary-ann? I like Marian a lot, & find that more straight forward. Annemarie as one full name looks a little jumbled. A double name of Anne Marie would be fine.

Anne/Anna (I like the nn Annie)-I like both of these, but for some reason feel like Anne nn Annie makes more sense. Annie is very sweet.

Diane-Hey, you could do the nn Annie here too. It's not my personal style, but it's different & sort of so dated that it's refreshing.

Hannah-I like this. It's sort of common, but a lovely name.

Amy-This is okay. Not super exciting, but fine.

Suggestions:

Alice

Audrey

Annelise

Bridget

Dorothy

Ellen

Frances/Franny

Genevieve/Ginny

Holly

Louise

Lucy

Marie

Mabel

Margot

Penelope

Rosalie

Hope this helps.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Eleanor, Clementine, Gerty

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Nolan, Shiloh

I love Amy for you! Anna would be nice too
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I would cross off Anne and Diane as I don't think they work with the surname at all. Diana however would work well, and you could still have Annie for a nn. Marianne and Annemarie are nice and work (and Annie for nn for both.) Both Anna and Hannah sound a bit clunky with the surname (though not as bad as Anne or Diane) and since you have other good names I'd cross them off. Amy works fine, though I'd prefer a longer name with very short surname.

With your surname my favourites in order:
    Diana (if it's on the list)
    Annemarie (refreshing and great with surname)
    Amy
    Marianne

I would cancel out any -an endings, as they would clash with an -am surname, I feel?

My favourites are Amy, Hannah and Annemarie!! All would work wonderfully with your surname, I feel.
    ◦•●✿haley✿●•◦
    rough & tumble
    logan elizabeth, savannah jane, remington lily, aspen emily, oakley belle
    boone thomas, levi joshua, luke addison, austin zachary, garrett john
    mia bethany, london isla, landry emma, kendall lucy, evelyn daisy
    brooks daniel, rhett william, ethan jack, dallas james, hayes alexander