Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stephanie - yes or no?

What are your associations with the name Stephanie? On one forum I read a bad opinion about a part of the name Fanny ((((( Thank you!!!!

Stephanie is lovely, and I've never heard anyone pull Fanny from it??? I adore the name Stephanie, personally. It's a timeless choice.
    ◦•●✿haley✿●•◦
    rough & tumble
    logan, savannah, kendall, landry, london, mia, evelyn, remington, oakley, aspen.
    boone, levi, luke, austin, garrett, brooks, rhett, clayton, dallas, hayes

I think its overused like Brittney, Ashley, Brianna, etc.
    But I don't have any personal negative associations with it. Other than it makes me think of a stereotypical basic "mean girl." But then again, I have that association with my own first name.
    Step-mommy to Piper Isabella ♥
    Auntie to Octavia Lorraine ♥

Winter Analiese ♥ Rowan Elizabeth ♥ Violet Emerson ♥ Beyla Noelle ♥ Willow Marie ♥ Rosalie Wilder ♥ Averi Jessamine ♥ Arden Claire ♥ Emelia Violet ♥ Mirabel James ♥ Elowen Marie

Talon Claymore ♥ Bennett Avery ♥ Arlo James ♥ Rex Michael ♥ Oliver Calvin ♥ Henry Alexander ♥ Bronson Michael

Not sure where fanny came from. I’ve never heard anyone use this. I personally see it as very 70/80s and in the list of not ready to come back yet. This is your child though and I think it’s very important to use the name you feel an extra attachment to, the one that feels more than just a name, one you would regret not using.

Henry Everett GrayJack Rowan AugustTheodore Milo AtlasOliver Bennett Wolf
    Charlotte Eliza BirdieSophie Anne LavenderPoppy Isobel Margaret

“A person’s a person, no matter how small”

heart my son
    • • • • • • • • •

It’s the one of the few 70s/80s names I really like. I think it’s nice and think it would suit a little girl today, I’m sure there won’t be many her age named that

I don't like it but that's only because I have bad associations with it. I think it could be refreshing to hear on a little girl now, and I like Stevie as a nickname.

I think it's a sweet name, so a yes from me.
    jethro & zachariah & dylan & seymour & horatio & grover & ishmael

phoebe & margot & agnes & lydia & tabitha & althea & frances & twila

I really like the name Stephanie! Yes! It's a beautiful and sweet name. I loved it when I was a child. Fanny or Fannie are common nicknames for Stephanie in French speaking countries. I think it is cute and I didn't know Fanny had a bad connotation in English until I saw this post. You can always find another nickname you love!
    Alice Marigold | Agatha Noelle | Aurora Violet | Isabella Wren | Magdalena Ruby | Margot Felicity |
    Rosalie Moon | Serena Jasmine | Victoria Primrose | Valentina Skye

Alexander Matthias | Benjamin Arthur | Edmund Philip | Frederick Lewis | Gabriel Vincent | Henry Theodore |
    Liam Hawthorne | Lucas Nightingale | Sebastian Thomas | William Bravery

I only know 2 Stephanies in real life. One is a very nice grown adult who is chronically late for everything. And the other is a very loud, very stubborn 5 yr old. The adult goes by Steph and the child goes by Stephanie.

Yeah, I also don’t think “fanny” is a very intuitive thought for most people when they hear this name.

That said, while I don’t have any technically negative associations with the name, I personally find it a little tacky (I suppose this is based on the ones I know, so maybe that counts as a negative association?), verrrry 70s/80s, and definitely overused.

However, regardless of my own feelings about the name or anyone else’s, if you have a strong attachment to the name and truly love it, I think you should use it. I do like the nickname Stevie as @yellowplums mentioned.
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020
    ...and so the countdown begins...8 days until due date!

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy