• Baltasar

23 53.49%
  • Barnabas

13 30.23%
  • Barnaby

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Which of these three?

Which of these would be best for a brother for my Hjörtur Emmanuel? For a long time Baltasar was our top runner, but now SO prefers Barnabas. It sounds heavier, but it has more nickname options... So right now our list is down to Baltasar, Barnabas and Barnaby. Please chose the one you prefer.
    Mother to Hjörtur Emmanuel & Barnabas Húni

Maximilian Óli * Matthias Hreinn * Vignir Ulysses * Nikolai Svani * Zalman Torfi
    Ondine Lilach * Lucinde Meital * Mareva Bluma * Lavinia Perle * Magdalene Dune

Very tough! I love Baltasar but Barnabas does have more nn and a different ending to Hjörtur and i do like how they look next to each other
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I chose Barnabas. If you would please bear with me for a second, I would like to explain why.

Hjörtur means “little deer,” and Barnabas means “son of consolation.” Both have Christian significance in their meanings, with deer being a symbol of everlasting life, and Barnabas being a biblical figure with corresponding etymology. Barnabas is Aramaic in origin, where Hjörtur is Icelandic. Obviously, these are two very different names. But when I read them, they seem to be souls from the same heart. They are adventurers and fairytale princes, breathing the imagery of seaside towns and beautiful storms. I can perfectly imagine Hjörtur playing with his brother Barnabas, showing him his favorite toys and explaining the plot of his dearest bedtime story. They simply sound like they were meant to be paired together. They are different, but the same where it counts. Like brothers.
    Lucy Marigold, Hazel Cornelia, Stella Sunday, Winnie Clover, Sadie Harper, Grace Beatrix, Poppy Avalyn, Rosalind Aria, Scarlett Finley, and Haven Matilda.

Shepherd Charles, Paxton James, Milo Bear, Gideon Sage, Knox Bravery, Elijah Wolf, Wyatt Langley, Tobias Wilder, Deacon James, and Asher Isaiah.

Holland Elias and Piper Adeline

I voted for Baltasar, but I do agree Barnabas is as great name as Baltasar. I do think Baltasar has a lot of nicknames options: Balt, Tsar, Asa, Balti, Tas/Taz, Alti, Bali, Bas...
    Oscar Anthony Jack & Marigold Jane Antonia

Lily October · Evan Alexander · Marina Ruth · Joseph Lorcan · Juno Beatrice · Rodric Oliver

I chose Barnaby but for myself liking it slightly better than Barnabas ... Which I like also. I agree with pps about good reasoning ... I think that they're all good though.
    Psalm 127:3-5

@jonquils: your replies are always so helpful, thank you! I wasn't sure about Barnabas at first, because I thought it sounded too heavy. But I do tend to like those "heavier" names, and I think it could definitely work with Hjörtur, especially with the right nickname.
    Mother to Hjörtur Emmanuel & Barnabas Húni

Maximilian Óli * Matthias Hreinn * Vignir Ulysses * Nikolai Svani * Zalman Torfi
    Ondine Lilach * Lucinde Meital * Mareva Bluma * Lavinia Perle * Magdalene Dune

Wow @jonquils comment was amazing. I liked Barnabas best before reading it and now I just feel like it's meant to be. I had picked it because Balthasar seems sharp, like elbows and cutting remarks, and Barnaby more aristocratic, whereas while Barnabas is unexpected it seems friendly and rounded out.

I like Baltasar the best. It goes well with your son's name, too.
    jethro & zachariah & dylan & seymour & horatio & grover & ishmael

phoebe & margot & agnes & lydia & tabitha & althea & frances & twila

Baltasar for me! I like Barnaby too, but Baltasar has a little more spark and would be really cool with Hjörtur, too
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    &
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Mia + Juliet + Seren + Evander
    GP Crushes: Zephan + Orion + Albio