Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baby name I won't regret?

We're torn on our baby boy's name. I have always loved surnames as first names, but I worry about getting caught up in trendiness and something that sounds fresh now but will feel dated in the future. My two unique name contenders are Leighton and Thayer but also love Andrew, despite its popularity in my generation. I would love some thoughts on these three names. He will be baby brother to Violet Margaret. Many thanks.

I think Andrew is my favorite name out of the three, it complements Violet very well. About the popularity - might I suggest looking at the SSA's website? Their data includes the percentage of what babies are given a name rather than just ranking, that might make the prospect of picking a higher ranking name a little less daunting. That said, Leighton and Thayer are both nice names and I don't think you can go wrong with either, I do prefer the Layton spelling but that's just personal preference.
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

Hi there.

I think if you're looking to stay away from a trendy name, Leighton should probably be off the table. It's trendy & popular for boys & girls w/multiple spellings. I've never met/heard a Thayer, so that's bit more unique. Andrew is a great classic name; still very common though. But not trendy....it's been common for a long time.

Let me know if you want some suggestions. .

Hope this helps!
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Eleanor, Clementine, Gerty

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Nolan, Shiloh

I think you could end up regretting Leighton it has a very trendy sound and could end up sounding outdated. Thayer is very nice, it’s strong and unique without being too much.

Suggestions...
    Lennon
    Sawyer
    Holden
    Brooks
    Harrison
    Kiernan
    Adler
    Beckett
    Niñas
    Juliette Moon| Rosalie Jude| Camila Wren| Ianthe Willow| Ariadne Snow| Theodora Lark| Demetria Inez| Juno Aurelia

Niños
    Holden River| Nico Evander| Arlo Jasper| Ezra Wolf-Ezra Dimitri| Alaric Sage| Sylvan Rune

My favorite from your list is Thayer. Unique but easy to spell and pronounce and it isn't a trendy name. I would probably cross of Leighton as it is pretty trendy and is growing in popularity for girls. Andrew is a classic name but lacks excitement for me. Would you consider Anderson? A similar sound and it is a surname as a name.

Names you might like:
    Brooks
    Quentin
    Brighton
    Winston
    Wesley
    Jamison
    Elliott
    Porter
    Vincent
    Bennett

How about Anders as an alternative to Andrew?
    Olive Margaret / 21.10.18

Ginny Florence
    Fay Marigold
    Cleo Seraphina
    -Edie-Delphi-Marcy-Fifer-Romy-Lauren-Alma-

Dustin James
    Grady Stefan
    Chester Maxwell
    -Edwin-Reggie-Lennox-Fergus-Murphy-Casper-

I like Thayer -it doesn't feel trendy and i like the sounds!
    Andrew is also great. It fits well with Violet, it's familiar but not overused anymore.
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

To me, Leighton feels trendy whereas Thayer is still a surname name but is more solid and grounded. I also think Thayer goes beautifully with Violet. It's a somewhat unexpected sibset, but I think they work so well together. Andrew is nice too, but love how strong and unique Thayer is.

august emily | eris astraea | ivy cassia
    siena eve | sophie abigale | violet adelais
    calla ~ rue ~ tessa

listography.com/scater

alden reeve | ansel gray | callan wilder
    kit olivier | matthew rhys | soren vale
    cassian ~ jude ~ tobias

Thank you! I agree. Writing off Leighton and will shortlist to Thayer and Andrew.

I've always liked Thayer so it gets my vote
    Psalm 127:3-5