Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isla or Isobel

Isla or Isobel

We are trying to choose a Scottish girls name to use if we have a girl next month and Isobel and Isla are the only two that we seem to like. But we can't decide which we like more/which will lend her to an easier time with spelling/pronunciation etc. I don't want her to have a hard time spelling her name out etc.

It would be great to hear everyone's feedback on the two names.

Thanks!
    Mumma to Lachlan William Blair (born: 20/9/19).

Always remembering our angels who were too beautiful for earth:
    Lachlan Sloane (6/1/16), Cameron Riley (20/12/17), Maisie Faye (29/4/18) & Annabel Delta (14/10/18) xx

I love both options, but Isla is my favourite!

Also, something to consider, Isabelle, Isabel and Isobel are all common spellings, so they might get confused for one another.

Have you considered Elsie?? I know you didnt ask but it's a lovely Scottish choice!
    ◦•●✿haley✿●•◦
    rough & tumble
    logan elizabeth, savannah jane, remington lily, aspen emily, oakley belle
    boone thomas, levi joshua, luke addison, austin zachary, garrett john
    mia bethany, london isla, landry emma, kendall lucy, evelyn daisy
    brooks daniel, rhett william, ethan jack, dallas james, hayes alexander

Thanks! I was feeling the same with Isobel - two many spelling options!
    I love Elsie but my husband doesn't like it unfortunately.
    Mumma to Lachlan William Blair (born: 20/9/19).

Always remembering our angels who were too beautiful for earth:
    Lachlan Sloane (6/1/16), Cameron Riley (20/12/17), Maisie Faye (29/4/18) & Annabel Delta (14/10/18) xx

If your main concern is ease of spelling, I do think Isla would be easier, because it is an increasing familiar dominant spelling where as Isobel would likely often be mistakenly rendered Isabel and Isabelle. Both are lovely choices, but Isla does feel a bit fresher at the moment.
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

I personally adore Isobel and have it on my short list. I also love the nickname Isby. People will misspell and mispronounce even the easiest of names. Many strangers spell my name, Jean, incorrectly...and it’s always some crazy spelling, not something like Gene or Jeanne. All the people that will be close to, or involved with, your family and daughter will quickly learn how to spell and pronounce her name no matter what name you choose.

Henry Everett GrayJack Rowan AugustTheodore Milo AtlasOliver Bennett Wolf
    Charlotte Eliza BirdieSophie Anne LavenderPoppy Isobel Margaret

“A person’s a person, no matter how small”

heart my son
    • • • • • • • • •

I much prefer Isobel, it’s a timeless, melodic name that’ll never go out of fashion in my opinion (and I love this spelling for it). Isla isn’t bad but it’s extremely trendy/popular at the moment and just doesn’t appeal to me as much. I don’t think either would pose massive problems in regards to spelling although both would likely require some explanation sometimes/often (eg your daughter might have to say “Isobel with an ‘o’” or correct the occasional misspelling of Isla). Good luck with your decision!

Isobel gets my vote. I've always loved this name.

I love Isobel but as others have mentioned the various spellings might mean she has to spell it. Isla is also lovely and the sounds and clear and the meaning is appealing
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I like Isla best!

Eliza, Adeline, Felicity, Flora, Sophie, Beatrice, Rosalie, Harriet
    Charlie, Henry, Edwin, Felix, Lachlan, Leo, Wyatt,

I prefer Isla to Isobel, Isla is soft and pretty. Isobel is also pretty but with Isabelle and Isabella being so popular, even though the spelling is different, it’s overused in my opinion