Menu

Sibling for Hannah & Eliza

Hi! We are due to have our baby sometime in the next 3-4 weeks and have yet to decide on a name. Well, 2 names actually since we don’t know if this baby is a boy or girl. Our daughters (twins) are named Hannah Dorothy and Eliza Jane. Middle names are after my husband and my grandmothers.
    I love Claire for a girl, but if we stick with grandmothers’ names for the middle name, it would be Claire Ruth which I don’t love together. (Both are just so short.) I’ve thought about Clara + Ruth, but prefer Claire over Clara. (I’m also of the mindset I should just name my kid what I plan on calling them.) I also like Cora & Vera, but my husband isn’t sold on them.

If it’s a boy, we’re at more of a loss. I like Theo, but worry it’s too trendy. Also hesitant on Owen for it’s popularity. Other names on our short list are Dylan, Alex, or Jay, but they seem so boring/plain. If we stick with the Grandparent-middle name thing, it would be Ralph, which is also my husband’s middle name. My husband was really close to his grandpa, which makes it sweet, but I do not like the name itself. (I love Drew and Calvin, but they’re not viable options because we have people with those names so close to us.)

Help! I’m open to suggestions on first and middle name combinations that sound good with our current kids’ names.

Hello! I love your girls names. Pretty much all of your choices (both boys and girls) are some of my favorite names so I'm hoping I can be of assistance!

First of all I think Claire, Cora, or Vera could all go with Eliza and Hannah. I understand your concern with Claire Ruth being so short and almost running together but I actually prefer it to Cora Ruth and Vera Ruth which I think is difficult to say together with the repeated R sounds. If Claire is still your top contender I wouldn't worry too much about it flowing into the middle name unless you plan on calling her by her first and middle name a lot. I would be more concerned if it flows well with the last name. I do like all three of those choices though so I think it comes down to what you're most comfortable with!
    Some recommendations that I think flow better with the middle name Ruth that would still go well with your girls:

Lydia Ruth (my fave of the suggestions!)
    Stella Ruth
    Violet Ruth
    Coralie Ruth (I think it flows better than Cora Ruth, but if you don't like Coralie and prefer just Cora this might not work for you. I'm of the exact same mindset that you should just name your child what you plan to call them)

Additionally, would you be interested in using a variation of Ruth, like Ruthie? Claire Ruthie sounds better to me.

As for boys...

I really like the name Jay! if you want to use Ralph as a middle I think Jay Ralph could work but of your options I prefer the flow of Dylan Ralph. You said you love Theo and were worried about popularity... I wonder if I just see it a lot here on Nameberry that makes me think it's so popular but according to SSA it was 243 so not even the top 100. Of course that was for 2018 and it's subject to change. It does seem like it's trending right now so that number might be lower next year.

Some suggestions based on the names you like (and since you were concerned about popularity I'll list them from least popular at the top to most popular at the bottom) :

Collin Ralph ( I must say I absolutely love this combination!!! that's just my two cents!)

Arthur Ralph ( I think the name would work great with your girls but I am not in love with the flow of Arthur Ralph)

Declan Ralph
    Austin Ralph
    Aaron Ralph
    Nathan Ralph

I hope you like some of the options! Good luck as you make your decision!

First thing that came to mind was Phoebe Ruth!

I also love the suggestion of Lydia

Other ideas:

Delia Ruth
    Carly Ruth
    Cadence Ruth
    Lila Ruth
    Maisie Ruth
    Nina Ruth
    Gemma Ruth
    Eden Ruth "Edie"
    Jocelyn Ruth "Josie"
    Felicity Ruth
    Cassidy Ruth
    Sadie Ruth
    Piper Ruth
    Molly Ruth
    Ayla Ruth
    Talia Ruth
    Maren Ruth
    Delilah Ruth
    Michaela Ruth

Micah Ralph
    Tanner Ralph
    Elliott Ralph
    Chandler Ralph
    Duncan Ralph
    Spencer Ralph
    Jasper Ralph
    Oscar Ralph
    Nolan Ralph
    Davis Ralph
    Connor Ralph
    Caleb Ralph
    Wyatt Ralph
    Lincoln Ralph
    Sebastian Ralph
    Gideon Ralph
    Silas Ralph
    Milo/Miles Ralph
    Griffin Ralph "Finn"
    Remy Ralph
    Archer Ralph
    Last edited by wilkie8709; August 17th, 2019 at 10:40 PM.

Hi there.

Hannah Dorothy & Eliza Jane are darling! Claire Ruth does not flow very well, but if Claire is the name that you love I wouldn't let the flow of the combo stop you.

Girls suggestions:

Audra

Audrey

Alice

Ada

Beatrice

Bridget

Charlotte

Flora

Freya

Frances

Gemma

Georgia

Ivy

Lucy

Louisa

Margot

Mabel

Molly

Olive

Phoebe

Rosalie

Sadie

Sally

Thea

Violet

Willa

Theo & Owen are nice choices for a boy, but they are both sort of popular. Especially Theo. Dylan & Alex are nice, but I don't like Alex for a full name. Maybe Alec? Jay definitely seems incomplete too.

Boy suggestions:

Arthur

August

Alden

Bennett

Colin

Elliott

George

Graeme

James

Jude

Leo