Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Putting a New Spin on Family Names

Hi all! We’re currently brainstorming names for Kid #2 (TTC late winter/early spring) We’d really like to incorporate a family name somehow. We went a common route for our first son - his first name is “his own” and his middle name is my dad’s first - because we loved both names and they paired well together. We’re not so lucky with the rest of our relatives' names, so we've got to be creative. Can you help us come up with some variations on these names?

Joan, Sarah, Germaine, Diane, Colleen, Leah, Elisabeth
    Charles-Henri, Clifford, Peter

For example, I've thought of Collier as a gender-bending play on Colleen, and Elspeth as a variation of Elisabeth that also gives a nod to the Scottish side of the family. My partner likes the idea of using Henriette to honor Charles-Henri. Other than those, we are stuck, stuck, stuck. Give us your twists, your stretches, and your most how'd-you-get-there-from-here ideas. We can't wait to hear what you come up with!
    : : : REUBEN : : :
    Ambrose * Emeric * Malcolm * Pascal * Collier
    Salome * Elspeth * Pomona * Henriette * Winslow

Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Trying out...
    Cove Harriet|Everett Louisa|Forrest Alaia|Keaton Sophie
    Fox Eulalia|Sylvan Phillipa|Tate Isabella|Rory Winona

I think with Joan, you have the obvious Joanne/Joanne or maybe even the more cutesy Joanie. I think any Jo name would work pretty well here maybe Jovie, Josie, Jocasta, Jocelyn or Jolene for girls and for boys there's plenty of great options - Joseph, Jonas, Jonah, Johan, Jovani, Jocelyn amongst others.

Sarah could become Sarai, Saraya, Soraya, Sara, Seren, Zara, Sadie.

Germaine is an interesting one as you might need to pick out particular sounds so the strong 'J' sound at the beginning - Gemma, Giselle, Gina, Georgina, Jemima maybe? For boys maybe Gentry, Gerard, Jared, Jericho, Jed. The other quite prominent sound is the 'mai' part in the middle so maybe Maia, May, Marnie, Elaine, Lorraine. While maybe Alain, Blaine, Cain might work for a boy.

Diana sounds more modern and sweet than just Diane so that could be a simple switch. Dinah could work or maybe another name ending in the 'an' sound which could cover Joan and Diane at the same time. Maybe Lillian, Marianne, Vivian, Ariane, Bethan (covers Elisabeth too), Gillian (Germaine/Joan/Diana), Megan, Morgan, Rosanne, Roxanne etc. Maybe for a boy something like Adrian, Ryan, Morgan, Jordan etc. Maybe a boys name that starts with An- such as Andrew, Anderson, Anthony, Anakin.

Colleen could become Colette, Cosima, Calliope, Myleene, Linnea, Adelina, Leisel, Emmeline for girls. Maybe Colt, Colton, Collins, Leander, Lennon for boys?

Elizabeth has many options; Eliza, Adeliza, Electra, Bethan, Bethany, Eloise, Eliana, Elora, Eliora, and for maybe Elijah, Elias, Elery, Ellison, Elwood.
    Last edited by fallenangel; August 16th, 2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Boys

Xavier Isaac James
    Ezekiel Asher Beau
    River Elias Gabriel
    Octavian Noah Caleb
    Atticus Theodore Jude

Girls

Pandora Elowen Frances
    Persephone Matilda Alice
    Seraphina Imogen Violet
    Octavia Felicity Eden
    Zendaya Iris Winter

For unique honor names, I tend to prefer the meaning route rather than soundalikes, so that's what I'll suggest.

Joan - Other names containing meaning "gracious": Evan, Gia*, Milan, Mercedes

Sarah - Other names meaning "princess": Sarai, Suri, Zara*, Kala*

Germaine - I got nothing here.

Diane - Other names containing meaning "divine": Astrid, Asta; Greek variation of Diana: Artemis*

Colleen - Other names meaning "girl": Zita, Talitha

Leah - "Weary" is a pretty terrible meaning so I would abandon the meaning path here. Maybe something related to the Biblical story of Leah?

Elisabeth - Names containg meaning "pledge": Gilbert*, Geoffrey

Charles-Henri - Names meaning "free man": Carly, Caroline, Frances, Amadi; names meaning "ruler": Avery, Gerald, Thierry

Clifford - Names related to cliffs and fords: Clive, Ford

Peter - Names related to meaning "rock": Stone, Onyx, Agate, Carnelian, Malachite, Jade, Eben*

It's an eclectic bunch. I starred my favorites.

I haven't read the other replies, so please forgive any repeats!

Annabeth : includes the "an" part of Joan and Diane, and the "Beth" of Elisabeth"

Selah : for Sarah and Leah

Collins : for Colleen and Charles

Petra : for Peter and Sarah

Freya-Claire : a stretch but might work to honor the double barreled name of Charles-Henri, it also has a lot of the letters from Clifford

Gemma : for Germaine

Ianthe : kind of out there, but I love it! It has "ian" from Diane and "th" from Elisabeth

Oh and Eliza-Jane : double barreled like Charles-Henri, Eliza to honor Elisabeth, and Jane for Joan and kind of for Germaine as well!
    Last edited by inkling; August 16th, 2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Edited to add Eliza Jane
    k.v. briar

Writer. Reader. Dreamer. Word Nerd.
    Kick butt single SuperMama to KV (12) & MP (9)
    And furbabies: Tio Bear, Cinder Belle, Minka Mae, and Ember Eve!

Joan: Joseph, Jonah, Josephine, Joelle, Jane, Jean, Jade, Jordan, any J name

Sarah : Serena, Serenity, Sadie, Zadie, Zara, Sarai, Shay, Orla/Talulla (both mean princess), Seren, Soren, Isaac?

Germaine: Gerald, Gerladine, Mae, Gia/Gianna, Kerman (Basque form), Aine (prn like Anya I think), Maine (or Augusta), any G name ie Geevive, Georgia/ie, Giada, etc

Diane - Diana, any Ann- name, Dee, Dean, Deon, Dior, Dane, Daniel/Danielle, any D name ie Day, Dax, Declan, Dorian, Della, Daisy, etc

Colleen - Collier is cute, Collin, Calvin, Corinne, Lena, Oliver/Olivia/Olly, Caleb, Cora, Cailin, Catelyn, Kaylyn, etc, Zeta/Talitha/Nina/Damaris,Channary/Bambi (all mean girl), any C name
    Leah - Lea, Lia, Amelia, Leia, Lena, Laura, Rachel, Lee, Aaliyah, Leland, Jacob, any L name, any name with the lee sound in it
    Elisabeth - any El- name, Izzy/Isabelle/Elspeth/Elsbeth/Elsie/Abby/Betty/Beth/Bettina/Belle/Lisa, Eli, Elliot

Charles-Henri - Charlotte/Charlie/Caroline/Coraline/Carla/ie/Carlotta/Charlene/Chaz/Caz (forms of Charles, I'm sure there are more as well), Chance, Henry, Henriette/a, Hattie/Hettie, Ria/Rita, Emmerich/Anrai/Arrigo/Drika/Emerson/Emery/Enric/Enrca/Enrico/Enzo/Hal/Hallie/Harry/Harrison/Harrison/Hank/Hendrix/Jet/Jette/Kendrick/Perry (all forms of Henry)

Clifford - Cliff, Clay, Ford, Fordham, Effie, Cleo, Clover, any C name

Peter - Petra, Petrova, Pia, Pax, Penelope, Pearce, Pelle, Petri, Pierre, Peyton, any P name

A lot of these were really reach-y but as long as you come up with some connection to the honor name, I think you can use just about anything to honor someone. I hope this helps
    .annah.
    Grayson Marshall 5.15.10 | Emmett Leo 11.4.14
    Luca Theodore 4.22.17 |
    Genevieve Aubrey & Elowen Violet 8.17.19

Y'all! Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses and suggestions! I lost this post because I accidentally posted it in the Girl forum when I meant to post it in the general Baby Names forums...been searching for it in the wrong place! So exciting to find it and see all your ideas!

@greyblue, I love the idea of using Zadie, Saskia, or Sayre for Sarah; Jem for Germaine could totally work, especially since we've had Jem as a nickname for Jerome on our list for a while; I've always like Cornelia but hadn't thought to connect it back to Colleen, yes!; I'm glad someone else thinks Arlo could be a nod to Charles, as well!

@quirkflower, I really like your idea of riffing on names' meanings and sounds rather than shared origins. Milan, Kala, Artemis, Talitha, Francis/Frances, Avery are all stand-outs. Eclectic, for sure, but that's our style. Thank you!

@inkling, Selah and Ianthe are great!

@oceanix, I've always wrinkled my nose at the "princess" meaning but Orla and Tallulah are too great to ignore. I like the suggestion of Daisy for Diane, especially since our Diane's nickname is Dizey, with a long i sound. Corinne for Colleen is wonderful! And I had forgotten that Emmerich/Emeric is related to Henry - that definitely moves Emeric higher up on our list, and saves us the embarrassment of accidentally naming him Emeric Henry! I love knowing that Pearce is a derivative of Peter - it works so much better with our R surname.

Thank you so much, everyone! We're feeling reinvigorated and looking forward to the name debate continuing in the months ahead! I'm sure we'll post again, but in the meantime, you've given us much to work with.
    : : : REUBEN : : :
    Ambrose * Emeric * Malcolm * Pascal * Collier
    Salome * Elspeth * Pomona * Henriette * Winslow

I'll offer my favorites for each girls' name:

Joanna or Jane for Joan
    Sadie or Sally for Sarah
    Diana--could be pronounced Dee-anna if desired--for Diane
    Colette or Lena for Colleen
    Leigh for Leah
    Bess, Eliza, or Elise for Elisabeth

Joan, Sarah, Germaine, Diane, Colleen, Leah, Elisabeth
    Charles-Henri, Clifford, Peter

For example, I've thought of Collier as a gender-bending play on Colleen, and Elspeth as a variation of Elisabeth that also gives a nod to the Scottish side of the family. My partner likes the idea of using Henriette to honor Charles-Henri. Other than those, we are stuck, stuck, stuck. Give us your twists, your stretches, and your most how'd-you-get-there-from-here ideas. We can't wait to hear what you come up with![/QUOTE]
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

I like when honor names don't stray too far from the honoree's name.
    For a girl, I love Sarah-Germaine nn Sage
    I also love the suggestion of using Bess somewhere for Elisabeth.