Menu

Sister for James and Archer

Our first girl is gonna be here soon, and my husband and I are still at square one with naming her - he's dead set on Eliza, and I've growing more and more tired of it by the day. It should've been perfect, we both loved it and its an honour name for both of our families, but the more time goes on, the more adventurous a name I want her to have.

We've spent the last couple of weeks seeing if we can use a different variation of Elizabeth. I really like Elspeth and Elsie, he prefers Elise. They're not that different, but neither of us like the other name enough to want to use it for our daughter.

I still keep coming back to Persephone, which my husband will never agree to, and Peony, which he likes, just not as much as Eliza. I feel like at this point, she's gonna arrive, and be nameless for weeks while we go round in circles with her name. The boys names were so easy to choose, and we had them decided well before they were born, I didn't think a girls name would be so much harder!

I really enjoy both Eliza (sweet, quirky but fits well with your boys) and Persephone (bold, brilliant but definitely more daring)

Some ideas that remind me simultaneously of Eliza, Persephone, Elise, Elsie and Peony:

Thea
    Phoebe
    Poppy
    Viola
    Lyra
    Luna
    Lydia
    Zelie
    Maia
    Amelie
    Penelope
    Eloise
    Ruby
    Rosalie
    Linnea
    Callie/Caroline
    Flora
    Last edited by greyblue; August 16th, 2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Trying out...
    Cove Harriet|Everett Louisa|Forrest Alaia|Keaton Sophie
    Fox Eulalia|Sylvan Phillipa|Tate Isabella|Rory Winona
    Hero Bastian|Piper Julian|Shiloh Casper|Aubrey Elijah
    Vyvian Silas|Romy Nathaniel|Edie Baxter|Bellamy Isaac

If you aren't loving Eliza, don't force yourself to use it! Eloise and Annelise are other similar names you might like more than the other variations.

Names you might like:
    Poppy
    Posey
    Daisy
    Rose/Rosalie
    Lorelai
    Felicity
    Helena
    Cora
    Gwendolyn
    Beatrice
    Naomi
    Meredith
    Delilah
    Delia
    Annabeth

I have recently fallen in love with Bess as a variation of Elizabeth. Lise or Lisbeth are other possibilities. Would you both like Penelope, Priscilla, Olive, or Daphne? Other ideas:
    Louisa
    Lola
    Lydia
    Phoebe
    Last edited by erin beth; August 15th, 2019 at 07:17 PM.
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

Reading your post, the name I thought of immediately was Primrose - more offbeat than Eliza but not as bold as Persephone.

You may find she names herself once she arrives - so having a shortlist and then seeing what suits her may be the way to go.

Good luck!

Iris Evangeline or Evangeline Iris would be lovely with James and Archer! Eliza Peony or Elizabeth Peony would be gorgeous from your list.

Some suggestions:
    Iris
    Flora
    Evangeline
    Genevieve
    Ophelia
    Cordelia
    Maeve
    Cora
    Mama to Beatrix

Firsts: Dorothea ۰ Frances ۰ Winifred ۰ Josephine ۰ Harriet
    Middles: Mabel ۰ Ivy ۰ Violet ۰ Belle ۰ West

Firsts: Archie ۰ Theodore ۰ Casper ۰ George ۰ Harry
    Middles: Theodore ۰ August ۰ Alcott ۰ March ۰ Oscar

I find Eliza to be spunky and interesting yet maintaining that vintage feel - definitely not boring! I love the idea of it being paired with a more organic middle name like Peony. Or vice versa such as Posy Eliza or Poppy Eliza.

Personally, I'm not big on Persephone as a first name for a real, live person. In theory, it's super cool, bold and interesting... but for a kid/person to wear that name everyday? I just don't know. Maybe as a middle.

Buffy and Libby are my favorite Elizabeth nicknames, if either of those strike your fancy?
    Mama to V!v!an + Nor@h

Petra Josephine-Claire Athena-Susanna Piper-Annemarie James-Margot Hanna-Caroline Sawyer-Jane Mariana-Iris Annemarie

Jasper Elias-Harvey James-Silas Patrick-Drake Ennis-Miles Birch-Beau Jameson-Drew Cedar-Cyrus Eli

I adore Eliza, but my husband does not! Haha

I know it's already been mentioned, but Penelope strikes me as a good choice. Otherwise, I'm second-ing:
    Iris
    Hazel
    Elodie
    Lila
    Ivy
    Mumma to Owen Shepherd

Hazel Adeline + Nora Eve + Mae Evelyn + Eliza Audrey + Iris Eleanor

Theo Archer + Jonah Matthew + Kai Benjamin + Flynn Grayson