Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to not pick a popular name?

Hiya, i'm looking for advise!

How do you go about not picking a popular name? I had a popular name growing up & hated it! Hated having another 5 girls in my class with that name, then again at college & then again at work! I used to love the name Delilah, which wasn't popular at all 5 years ago but now has become super popular (i know 2 already)! All the other names i love everyone says they are "dated", for example Wendy, Diane, Morgan! Surely a dated name means not many will be called that?

thanks xx
    Last edited by lem87; August 15th, 2019 at 11:31 AM.

It depends what you mean by "popular" Today, the approximately 300 most popular names for girls (and 150ish) for boys make up about 50% of all babies named. Because of this large amount of "popular" names that are in rotation, that means that even the most popular names aren't quite as popular as they might appear to be because of this wider usage of names. So, while the top 20-50 names for boys and girls are fairly popular, if you went beyond them into names coming in around, say the 200 range, those names aren't crazily popular. Yes, they will definitely be familiar, but I wouldn't worry too much about other classmates sharing the same name as your child if you picked a name from that range.

If you are really worried about the popularity of some of a name, a great tool to use is the SSA website. You can look up the popularity ranking of any name you would like, and you can also see popular names by state, nationwide, and decade. Right now, Delilah is coming in just around the 100 mark, so yes, it is increasing in popularity but it isn't crazily popular yet like Olivia or Emma. But it is on an upward trend, so that is something to watch for.

Personally, I really like older and more dated vintage names, and there are plenty that aren't being used very much. But I think if you really like Delilah (which is a beautiful name by the way) that you should go for it.

Hi there.

I agree that you're probably safer w/a 'dated' name. I think that Wendy or Diane are nice choices. They haven't been popular since at the latest the 80s. So, they almost seem refreshing here in 2019. Morgan seems a little stale still, since it was popular more recently.

I don't know how to avoid a name that might become popular, other than stay away from names used it TV shows & movies. Take Aria for example; in 2009 it was #508 on the popularity charts. Then the TV show 'Pretty Little Liars' came out, & it's currently #19. And then the same name was used it Game of Thrones!

The Social Security website really is a great tool. You can look at which direction each name is trendy in popularity for the past 100+ years.

Hope this helps.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Eleanor, Clementine, Gerty

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Nolan, Shiloh

Amazing thank you! What is the U.K equivalent to the SSA site to check names? xx

Nowadays, names outside the top 50 are really not that common. The most popular names now are less common than the most popular names 100, 50 or even 20 years ago.
    A lot of dates names are coming back into fashion, though it does depend when their last popularity spike was. Just go with what you love.
    Girls Names
    Mavis Sylvia Lyra Evadne Ilaria

Girls Middles/Honours
    Juliet Margot Vera Celia Rosalie Eleanor

Boys Names
    Elliot Griffin August Lysander Atticus

Boys Middles/Honours
    Daniel Charles Jonas Piers Thomas

Here you go:
    ♀ J. M. (2015)
    ♂ K. V. (2017)
    ♀ A. H. (2019)

You'll be well to do if you choose a name like Wendy or Diane. They're dated in the gen-X kind of way, but not in an overarching sense as Diane is a classical name and Wendy wasn't overused in its height of popularity.

What I'd suggest in your quest for a non-popular name is to stick to names that rank lower than the 130 rank in the Social Security Index (if you're in America or wherever else you can find accurate name usage by year if you're not in America) for the last few years.

You'll also want to consider factors that make a name rise in popularity. For example, Delilah fits with a lot of name sounds that are still quite popular, so when you go on a quest for names that are lesser used, remember to double check it's sound-alikes or spell-alikes. Does it resemble Emma or Olivia or Sophia? Does it have the kind of antique-but-not-old feel of Harper, Ruby, or Evelyn? Go for sounds different than the top trends and you won't end up with a surprise group of girls with the same name 5 years from now.

I have one little suggestion -- really think about it if you're considering a noun name or an extremely cute, girly name. My name is Pearl and as a non-girly type I've always cringed at how people fawn over its femininity, or say things alluding to the actual gem (e.g. "you gleam like a pearl" or staring at me every time we learned about the ocean or Pearl Harbor in school). In the end it isn't that big a deal, but if you have a toss-up, go for the non-nown name.
    Current Name Set

Friedrich "Fritz" Walter Fox
    Wilhelmina "Wilma" Whitney Fern

Major Crushes & Guilty Pleasures

Aoife | Catesby | Hildegarde | Jaqueline | Aphrodite | Saoirse | Tawny | Tigerlily
    Endicott | Fairfax | Meriwether | Holloway | Lorenzo | Lazarus | Rutherford | Willoughby

Thanks very much everyone Some are some amazing tips!! xx

So while it's all well and good to check the national data, it really could be deceiving. You're best off to check your regional statistics, which break down the most common names in your area a bit more accurately.

British Baby Names has a pretty good snapshot look at it here:

But the full ONS data can be found here:

Here's an example of what I'm on about;

In England and Wales in 2017, the top ten names for girls were Olivia, Amelia, Isla, Ava, Emily, Isabella, Mia, Poppy, Ella and Lily.

However, the top ten in Yorkshire saw Daisy, Charlotte and Phoebe, which rank at #18, #21 and #12 nationally, while in London, Maya, Sofia and Maria appeared, while only sitting at #40, #31 and #71.

Hope that all makes sense! Lol I'm not the best at explanations.
    ◦•●✿haley✿●•◦
    baby name generator middles
    emily kendall ✿ hannah felicity ✿ sydney jessica ✿ madison ruby ✿ leah kaylee ✿ abigail violet ✿ savannah lucy
    addison kelly ✿ ella victoria ✿ zoey annabel ✿ natalie meredith ✿ mia stephanie ✿ claire desiree ✿ mackenzie grace

Besides checking baby name popularity for your country, try googling if there are popularity lists for your state/county/province or even city (I found some for Canada, for example) — sometimes trends vary by region.

Also check for the lists for spelling variations, eg Sophia and Sofia. A name that may not seem super popular could have a variety of spellings and add up.