Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Beyla?

My hubby and I THOUGHT we had finally decided on what names we are considering for our future firstborn, who we’ll be trying to conceive later this year, after we're married. But hey, we've got plenty of time considering I'm not even pregnant. Haha.

We’re both of Scandinavian descent and Norse pagans by faith.
    The other day, I was reading The Poetic Edda, a collection of original poems and legends about the Norse gods and goddesses, translated from Old Norse.

And I stumbled across the name “Beyla.” And now none of those other names cross my mind anymore. It’s like they never existed.

I am absolutely in love with it.

I’ve messaged my fiance in my excitement, and have yet to receive a response. I researched her more, and she was a servant to Freya (Norse goddess of love, war, and fertility, among other things). She was a huge symbol of agriculture and the earth, and the goddess of honeybees. She was also closely associated with dairy cows.

We live in Wisconsin. And I grew up on a farm. So the milkmaid part of it strikes a special chord with me. We also both LOVE honeybees, and their symbolism to us. Its hard to explain, but bees are very special to us. For us, they symbolize family, loyalty, and protection.

I think I may have found THE name.

Thoughts on it? Is it too “out there?”
    What sort of middle name would go with it?

Woot woot shout out to another Wisconsinite! The connections you have to the name are very sweet and make me like it even more for you. I say if you love the name go for it! It doesn't seem too out-there to me. Some mn suggestions:

Beyla Snow

Beyla Heidrun (starting sound like Heidi ending sound like June. Norse!)

Beyla Signy

Beyla Sylvi (Scandinavian spelling of Sylvie. Probably my favorite combination)

Beyla Harper

Beyla Quinn

Beyla Cameron

Beyla Sapphire

Hope you like some of these!

I think it's lovely, and it sounds like it is full of so much meaning for you and your fiance, which is fantastic. I really don't think it's all that out there, it's spelled intuitively and it has a nice ring to it, so I don't think that's a problem.
    I hope your fiance loves it as much as you do!
    Ceilidh Rooney; Lover of names, writing and theatre

Jude Patrick. Emmett Hugh. Felix James.
    Arthur Eamon. Henry Isaac. Reuben Wilder.

Eliza Cathleen. Thea Elisabeth. Lucy Saoirse.
    Alice Daisy. Eloise Jane. Della Felicity.

Beyla sounds like a great name for you. I like it! It's a unique combination of sounds that people are already very familiar with. It shares similarity to names like Layla, Bella and Freya so it's definitely usable.

For middle names, you could choose to honour someone in the family or narrow down your options by looking for names with a certain meaning or imagery.

Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I really like Beyla Quinn! And Beyla Sylvi. Those are beautiful ♥

He never got my text and I fell asleep before he got home so I won't have a chance to ask him until tonight, lol.
    He did really like Aela, though, which is pronounced the same, so maybe? Fingers crossed!

Sadly, I don't think any of my family names really fit. Haha!
    My mother is Kristin Marie. My sisters are Elizabeth Anna, Jessica May. Sisters in law are Brandy and Kelsey. Mother in laws are Deborah and Wendy. Grandmothers are Anne and Sandy. Great grandmother was Evelyn. That one I could maybe see?

Beyla Sophia I actually love! I didn't think I liked the double -ahh endings, but that one is adorable.

Update: Hubbs loves it! And he's super hard to please when it comes to names, so the fact that he didn't just say, "I like it." is HUGE.