Menu

Trio of teen sci-fi characters need names...

I am currently writing a teen science fiction story, set in the future after humans have colonized Mars.

My main protagonist is looking like they will be named October Jones. Not entirely sure on age yet, but somewhere between 13-15 years old. Their gender will be unstated, in that I will be using they/them pronouns throughout and their physical description is gender-neutral. I will likely use the nickname Toby/Tobi.

October will be joined by two best friends, one male, one female. Despite this being teen/sci-fi/spacey, I want to avoid on-the-nose names best I can (so no Artemis/Astrid/Apollo etc.) - I want the three of them to feel natural and genuine progressions of where names might be in the future. My biggest desire is to get all three working together as a trio - think Harry, Ron & Hermione, or, Kirk, Spock & McCoy!

I welcome any and all suggestions!

Male friend - sensitive, loyal, thoughtful, kind

I’m looking for a name one would normally associate with a girl. Not just that it’s more common, but that most would be surprised to hear on a boy or that would be a brave choice on a boy. This character is October’s love interest, and has an attractive, romantic feel about him. I quite like the idea of a completely made up name here too, or where a traditional girls name is spelled different. Go crazy.

Female friend - confident, courageous, smart, brave

I’m looking for a name that is more ‘normal’, but not too common I guess. Perhaps something not used that much anymore? I’m not sure on this one.

Last edited by junipear2; August 14th, 2019 at 08:00 PM.

For the male friend"

Juniper "Juni"
    Alouette "Lou/Alou"
    Esmé- even though this name is commonly popular for girls, it was originally used as a male name
    Tory/Tori
    Rainey
    Lark
    Sparrow
    Sky(e)
    Jocelyn "Joss"
    River
    Leto
    Celestine "Cel"
    Ashley "Ash"
    Yarrow
    Norris
    Hallie/Halley
    Vail/Vale
    Rowan
    Ember
    Meredith/Meredyth "Merry"
    Lydian
    Waverly
    Malta
    Indra- technically the name of a male Hindu god though it's also a Latvian female name
    Wynn(e)
    Avalon
    Hazel
    Fay
    Jewel
    Juno/Juneau
    Coral
    Hope
    Rue
    Pearl
    Ivy
    Ariel "Ari"
    Wren
    Joyce
    Creek

Female friend- I'm not sure about any of the names you listed. I don't think any of them are too popular but they are the sort of names you hear

Alula
    Amaris
    Malina
    Liora
    Tamsin
    Sarra
    Sabeen
    Dina
    Kalina
    Neela
    Asha
    Kensa