Menu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I think you should name your child legally whatever you think is best. If it's Sonny ok, if it's Serephina ok, just don't call your child something you don't love so that you can call them something you actually like and not put that on the birth certificate. But do be respectful of how names change as people grow... Honey is darling but I don't know if it ages incredibly well. Is it possible to make it, probably. But just consider every aspect of things then just make the choice that is what is right for your own family.
    Psalm 127:3-5

i'm not generally a fan of nickname-names, though I do think some have become pretty established on their own. Maybe because I have a longer name and I go by nicknames almost exclusively, but I love having my formal, legal name on paper work, badges, etc. I like the flexibility. However, I have a sister who also goes by a nickname and she prefers shorter names, call-'em-what-you-named-'em names, so I think it just depends on your experience. I think some names work without sounding cutesy or babyish (Molly, Theo, Pippa) while some do feel a bit less workable for an adult (Lulu, Cece, Maddie). For what it's worth, I don't think you should use a name you don't like to get to a nickname.

I think that diminutives are completely fine on the birth certificate and are really popular where I live (in the UK). I think all of your 'normal' options, Effie and Minnie would work well and are perfectly usable. Honey and Lulu are a bit more out there and would maybe work better in the middle. Dolly and Pixie seem too childish to me -- I can't imagine a teenager or an adult with those names.
    Flora Olivia Pearl
    Alice Phillipa Juno ❀ Beatrix Brontë Lilac
    Eugenie Margot Honey
    Helena Florence Opal ❀ Josephine Ada Lily
    Ophelia Eleanor Poppy

Edmund Thomas Kit
    August Sebastian Leslie ☾ Casper Forest Jem
    Rufus Christopher Sherlock
    Bruno Vincent Claude
    Hugo Alexander Poet
    Wilbur Barnaby March

It makes perfect sense to me to just put the name you plan to use on the birth certificate. Why use a full name, when you just don't love it?

I agree with most others here in saying that I think 'nickname-y names' as complete given names are absolutely fine and to consider the aging aspect of the more 'cutesy' ones which may potentially cause issues/embarrassment for them in later life.

Puppy-Mama to my boys, Wynn & Cove

I think it really depends on the nickname. Some have become established as names in their own right (I'd say that Mollie and Millie fall into this category, at least in the UK), but some are almost always attached to a longer name (e.g. Izzy, Bebe) and so would sound rather odd as formal names in my opinion.

Interesting!! I'm glad I received so much feedback, thank you!
    ღ haley - twenty-three - early childhood education student ღ
    tallulah - daisie - sophie - billie - florence
    elsie - chloe - harriet - amelie - louisa
    honey - nellie - millie - ffion - mollie
    pixie - lillie - evie - poppy - lucie
    more favourites.

I LOVE nicknames! I could definitely see myself using a nickname on a birth certificate, and I would have if it had only been up to me... BUT here's how I have come to think of it 12 years later after naming an actual person...

I have an (almost) 12 year old daughter who goes exclusively by her nickname (except by her father who refuses to use her nickname). In fact, she is adamant about not using her full given name at all EVER and if you ask her, she'd tell you with 100% certainty that she would have wanted me to use her nickname on her birth certificate. However, I am very glad that I put her full name on her birth certificate because it gave her that option, an option that she will continue to have for her whole life should she ever change her mind about it. Her full name is beautiful and has a much deeper meaning than her nickname, a meaning that she has come to love and appreciate despite not liking to answer to her full name.
    k.v. briar

Writer. Reader. Dreamer. Word Nerd.
    Kick butt single SuperMama to KV (12) & MP (9)
    And furbabies: Tio Bear, Cinder Belle, Minka Mae, and Ember Eve!

I love nickname names and I would not mind seeing them used on their own at all! But I'm hesitant to do it myself--I would probably put a 'formal' name on the BC. I definitely wouldn't suggest using a formal name just for the sake of it though, especially if you don't like that name.

One of my friends has a daughter named Freddie and I think that's so adorable!
    Mama to Beatrix

Winifred ۰ Mabel ۰ Louisa ۰ Harriet ۰ Violet
    Dorothea ۰ Clementine ۰ Felicity ۰ Josephine ۰ Daisy
    Anne ۰ Lottie ۰ Frances ۰ Ivy ۰ Marion ۰ Alice

Casper ۰ Rupert ۰ Archie ۰ Theodore ۰ Linus
    Harry ۰ Louis ۰ Cecil ۰ Hugo ۰ Fitzwilliam ۰ Archibald
    Oscar ۰ George ۰ Ollie ۰ August ۰ Arthur

Full List

I think diminutives are fine on the birth cert, it's just a matter of personal taste. Personally, I prefer long or "formal" names - to the point where I wouldn't give Jack or Liam as names (only John or William), and I'm less comfortable with Sadie and Maggie than Sarah and Margaret. This is less about formality or respectability, and more about the fact that my spouse and I both agree that we prefer a name with flexibility and "options." A William can be Liam or Will or Bill or Billy or William, but a Liam is just Liam. My spouse has a nickname on her birth cert, and she feels particularly strongly about this--she wishes that she had the long form on her birth cert, for a number of reasons, including the fact that it would have given her more flexibility in the spelling of her nickname (not her real name, but think a Maddy who wishes she was Madeline so she could choose to be the more-common Maddie).

However, I definitely think nicknames should naturally (or at least traditionally, as in John nn Jack or Sarah nn Sadie) follow from the given name. I have seen some wild leaps taken to get a long name for the nickname the parents really like, and in the case where you don't like any of the long forms but LOVE the nickname, I think you should just go ahead and use the nickname!

As with any name, you should remember that you're naming a person who will grow up, but I think that the vast majority of diminutives grow up just fine, especially because many people do keep using their diminutives into adulthood. Pixie is pretty much the only name mentioned in this thread that I really have trouble seeing on an adult.
    Stephanie Rae
    💍 Married 10.06.18 💙 TTC Evie or Jude 2020 👶
    Furmommy to: Alexander Hamilton *Hammy* & Marquis de Lafayette *Laffy*
    Proud auntie to: Lucy Anne & Leon Jeffrey & Mason William & Jaxon Anthony *Jax* & Expected Baby Girl
    Fairy godmother to: Anastasia Elizabeth *Ana* & Logan Mark Jay

My opinion is that a person should have the opportunity to choose to go by a longer, more proper name if they want to later in life.

While diminutive names are trendy and very accepted these days, a young man or woman may very well rather have a proper name to put on a resume, or to introduce themselves as professionally.

Introducing himself as 'Timmy Smith' is awesome. However he may want to introduce himself as an educator to his new students' parents or his future medical patients as 'Dr. Timothy Smith.'