Menu

Question Does the name Adam play well with surnames ending in -man?

It's hard for me to tell how a certain name sounds to an English native speaker, since my native language is not English.

Do you think the name Adam plays well with two-syllable surnames ending in -man where the first syllable is open?

Examples:

The two endings (-am & -an) sound quite similar.

My questions are:

1. How pleasantly/unpleasantly does it sound to you?
    2. Do you think you'd have noticed the similarity of the endings if I haven't drawn your attention to it?
    3. What thoughts and associations (if any) do you have when you hear one of the names above?

I very much appreciate your input! Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by endings; August 13th, 2019 at 06:59 PM.

Those names sound great, and I wouldn't have ever thought it sounds bad!

1. Sounds pleasant!
    2. Not at all!
    3. No associations

The way I pronounce Adam is actually way more like "A-dum" as opposed to "A-dam," and I feel like I would probably pronounce Lehman as "LAY-min." So in that particular example they sound different to me (at least how I would pronounce them) and perfectly pleasant together.

similar to the previous poster...

1. sounds fine to me
    2. no
    3. no associations. I generally prefer more uncommon names, so to me, Adam is sort of a blank slate - no connotations positive or negative when I hear it, other than the Biblical reference (which is definitely not top-of-mind - only when I really think about it). I can't think of any reason not to use it if you like it!
    Mom to Cedar
    Expecting baby #2 Sept 2019; considering Hawthorn(e) or Cove but still looking...

Quote Originally Posted by lubru View Post
    The way I pronounce Adam is actually way more like "A-dum" as opposed to "A-dam," and I feel like I would probably pronounce Lehman as "LAY-min." So in that particular example they sound different to me (at least how I would pronounce them) and perfectly pleasant together.

similar to the previous poster...

1. sounds fine to me
    2. no
    3. no associations. I generally prefer more uncommon names, so to me, Adam is sort of a blank slate - no connotations positive or negative when I hear it, other than the Biblical reference (which is definitely not top-of-mind - only when I really think about it). I can't think of any reason not to use it if you like it!
    This is all exactly what I was going to say.
    Rachel Elise ~ enfj
    my unexpected little is coming around February 26, 2020
    my kitty is Snickers Maxwell & my pup is Mirabel Louise
    family pups are Sybil Evelyn & Rita Clementine

considering
    Owen
    MadelineMaddie”, Maggie, Millie, Rosie, Stella, Tallulah, & Tessa

other loves
    Camille & Jane
    Archie, Callum, Colin, Dylan, Hugo, Jonah, & Oliver

Adam -man sounds fine! I wouldnt have thought about it if you hadn't pointed it out!
    Adam is a nice name - my main association is that it's my brother's name so i don't think badly of it. It's solid and versatile
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Una Adele|Ezra Apollo|Sholto Felix
    UVWXYZ...
    Undine Laelia|Verity Luna|Winter Mabli|Xanthe Rowena
    Ulysses Remy|Vyvyan Percy|Winston Judah|Xylon Koda
    Yael Madeline|Zadie Collette|Yeats Iago|Ziggy Alasdair

More|Vote

They sound fine to me. The endings aren't too similar, and -man is quite a common surname ending so not much attention is drawn to it. Plus the emphasis on Adam is on the first syllable.
    Girls Names
    Liliana Juliet Sylvia Marcella Rosalie Evadne

Girls Middles/Honours
    Juliet Margot Vera Celia Rosalie Eleanor

Boys Names
    Griffin Elliot 'Otto' Caspian Jonas Elias Chester

Boys Middles/Honours
    Daniel Charles Bennett Piers Thomas

I think it depends on the surname. Adam Jackman, for instance, doesn't sound great to me because of the similarity in all the -a sounds. In general, though, the -am and -an sounds are just different enough that it sounds okay. It's not the best flow, but I'm very particular about that kind of thing. Most people wouldn't even think about it.
    H.E.M. - 09/2017
    E.H.M. - 10/2018

Quote Originally Posted by mcinkat View Post
    I think it depends on the surname. Adam Jackman, for instance, doesn't sound great to me because of the similarity in all the -a sounds.
    Could it be because the first syllable (Jack-) is closed here? I.e. it ends with a consonant.

And what if it's open? For example, Buhman?

Thank you!