Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's a boy!!! Now what should we name him?

We just found out it's a boy (due right around Christmas!) after being so sure it was a girl. We have not given as much thought to boy names, and agree on very few. Big brother is Simon, meaning "he will listen." Our last name is very common and only one syllable. We like Bible names. Overall, I like ones that are a little more out there or less common. DH likes ones that are simpler and more recognizable.

So far, here are the ones I like in no particular order:

-Theophilus, nickname Theo
    -Jericho, nickname Jeo
    -Micah
    -Isaac
    -Nathaniel, not sure which nickname
    -Jonah
    -Jeremiah, nickname Jem
    -Gideon
    -Ezra

DH likes Theo, but not Theophilus. I like it, but the chipmunk connection might bother me. He could get used to all of the others.

Right now Jericho/Jeo and Isaac are my favorites.

I think Jeo is cool for Jericho since DH is Jeff and Simon's middle name is Geoffrey. Geo is a common nickname for a Geoffrey. So the nickname would connect the guys. Plus it is rhymes with Theo.

I like the meaning of Isaac: "he will laugh, he will rejoice"(Behindthename.com). This is especially great because Simon is "he will listen." Rejoice is also a Christmas-time word. I also love the Bible story behind the name.

So, what are your thoughts??? What would you name this child? Thank you!!!
    Mother to Simon Geoffrey

Currently loving...

Theo, Jonah, Emmett, Nathaniel, Hugo, Levi, Nathaniel, Timothy, Lewis, Miles, Jericho
    Eliza, Elise, Magnolia, Genevieve, Emmeline, Matilda, Margaret, Beatrice, Clara, Olive

i am literally in LOVE with the name Nathaniel with the nickname Nat. how spunky and adorable!!
    "Mightier than the waves of the sea is His love." Psalm 93:4

ember lynn. everly grace. indie mae. coralie wren.
    wilder reed. archer wade. ridge matthew. everett jude.

I LOVE Theo but not Theophilus and you’re right - Theodore is out because of the chipmunk thing! Jericho isn’t my thing and feels a little too macho next to Simon but Jeo is cool.

I like Micah, Isaac, Nathaniel (Nate) and Gideon. I like Jeremiah too but not the nickname Jem. I can’t see a boy liking that as his nickname either once he hits middle school.
    Mama to Nor@h & V!v!an

Blair Milana. Gwyneth Maia. Raina Josephine.
    Margot Hannah. Alice Athena. Rosalie Piper. Daphne Winter.

Dean Jacob. Jasper Elias. John Jameson.
    Ewan Jack. Conrad James. Ronan Eli. Drake Ennis.

Gideon could also go by Geo and I prefer it with Simon

I also really like Theo, Ezra, & Micah

Jeremiah is also a great name but I prefer Remy as a nickname. I think Simon & Jeremiah "Remy" would make great brothers

Abram/Abner/Abel "Abe"
    Asa
    Asher
    Amos
    Balthasar "Baz"
    Bartholomew
    Cyrus
    Caleb "Cal"
    Darius
    Enoch "Knox"
    Hiram
    Felix
    Joel
    Lemuel
    Josiah
    Nehemiah
    Malachai
    Phineas
    Uriah
    Last edited by wilkie8709; August 13th, 2019 at 07:19 PM.

Congrats!

I really like Jericho - it was one of the names we considered for our son, and I think Jeo is the best nickname for it. I think Rico is sort of cute too. I do think some people may decide (on their own volition!) to use the nickname Jerry, which I'm not into, so hopefully Jeo would catch on for your son. I mention that because I've personally never heard Geo used as a nickname for Geoffery (only Geff/Jeff) and sometimes nicknames take on a life of their own. I also think for some people there will be a very strong association with the city in Palestine which has a very long and contested history. (Not necessarily a bad thing - just something to consider).

Isaac feels much more conventional than Jericho. It's another name I really like, but we couldn't use it due to it already being used in our family.

I agree with you...I think Isaac and Jericho are my favourites, and both sound great with Simon!
    Mom to Cedar
    Expecting baby #2 Sept 2019; considering Hawthorn(e) or Cove but still looking...

Warmest congratulations, @house_of_sweetness!

My top recommendation is Simon {and} Isaac.

Runners up for me are Ezra, Gideon and Jonah.
    "Close your eyes and think about it.

Which name do you really, really love the most?

Go with the one that makes you smile every time you say it."

--Suelain Moy, author

From your list, I think Jonah, Gideon, and maybe Ezra seem like the best fit. (Ezra is actually currently ranked #59 in the US, but it's fairly new to the top 100, so it still feels a bit unexpected.)

Simon is traditional and very well-established as name (even though it's delightfully uncommon now). Jericho seems too non-traditional, and Theophilus has a different sort of offbeat antiquey vibe.

Micah, Isaac, Nathaniel, and Jeremiah feel too mainstream to pair with Simon, especially since you're trying to avoid common names due to your last name.

Other Biblical names that pair well with Simon:
    Judah
    Reuben
    Jesse
    Boaz
    Julius
    Felix
    Linus
    Titus
    Rufus
    Tobias
    Caspar (not technically Biblical, but Christian tradition says Caspar/Gaspar/Jasper was one of the three wise men, which could be a cool reference for a Christmas baby -- and Caspar is one of my absolute FAVORITE names to pair with Simon)

I think it depends whether you want a bolder or more familiar choice!

Jericho is really cool and i love the idea of nn Jeo! It is very usual though -but nonetless it feels easy to pronounce

Isaac is lovely -i love the meaning and sounds though it is a lot more familiar and popular!

I also love Jonah and Gideon on your list. Gideon could have the nn Geo too.

Judah and Thaddeus were two names that came to mind when i read your post
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Una Adele|Ezra Apollo|Sholto Felix
    Rethinking...
    Ilaria Winter|Ilaria Juno|Ilaria Mabel|Ilaria Pearl
    Scout Eliora|Scout Eleanora|Scout Mirabel|Scout Elodie

More|Vote

Thank you all for your feedback so far. We think we are removing Jericho and Jeremiah from the frontrunners. I am scratching out Theophilus, but keeping Theo. DH says he still prefers Theo to Jeo. And as Sllah pointed out, Jericho does sound a bit macho next to Simon. As others suggested, it is also a less traditional choice. With Jeremiah, Sllah is also right that Jem might not be a wearable nickname for very long, and I don't like any of the alternatives. Theophilus is maybe a little too out there, and will be relegated to a guilty pleasure, but Theo is still a possibility. Keep the feedback coming! Thanks!!!
    Mother to Simon Geoffrey

Currently loving...

Theo, Jonah, Emmett, Nathaniel, Hugo, Levi, Nathaniel, Timothy, Lewis, Miles, Jericho
    Eliza, Elise, Magnolia, Genevieve, Emmeline, Matilda, Margaret, Beatrice, Clara, Olive

-Micah & Simon I think to together really well
    -Theo & Simon also go well together
    -Isaac & Simon I think feel really comfortable together
    -Nathaniel - is longer than Simon, possibly Nathan and Simon are too close and Then plus iel ... Simon ends up short
    -Jonah & Simon I really like together
    -Gideon - With the similar ending to Simon you either go with it a nd have a longer but similar name or aim for something with more dissimilar endings
    -Ezra & Simon I think also work well

Micah Theo Ezra Jonah Isaac I like best

Si & Mi with those two, with the eye sound in the first syllable you either love it or you avoid it feeling they're too similar

Simon & Theo I think I like least but I can't place why, Love both names... Maybe if choosing from this list I wouldn't pair them

Simon & Ezra... I just love these together and the meanings together

Simon & Jonah - I ... I've known exactly one child called Jonah, very nice kid, little brother of a friend growing up... I often wondered why he was named for a prophet who was so difficult. It is a very likable name but there is that... I don't know how old your son is but over the years there's a song from a children's movie about the prophet Jonah that's very catchy and it puts Jonah in a category I can't see myself drawing from. So I like it for many reasons but find it difficult to actually use.

Simon & Isaac are my faves for you May be equal to Ezra ... Isaac is fresh but often used and has many strong characteristics ... One thing here is SI & IS they have such a similar beginning but it's subtle ... They fit well as brothers .

So I recommend:
    Simon & Ezra
    Simon & Isaac
    Or
    Simon & Isaac & Ezra all go well together Actually if you were to have a third son. (Is & Ez are quite similar prefixes but I think they could work ... Unless it's too much?)

Congratulations on your son!
    Also I love Simon, very good name, you'll choose well for his brother also.
    Psalm 127:3-5