Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chiara?

Chiara?

I'm expecting our second child toward the end of January and can already tell that naming will be a challenge. We don't know the sex of the baby yet but have only really talked about girls names so far since boy names are currently much more difficult. We have a currently short list of names, mostly recycled from last pregnancy, but are trying to come up with some fresh ones.

I threw out Chiara the other day and was surprised that my husband really liked it! Neither of us are Italian, but we're currently living in a country where the name and its spelling are well known and used.

I'm still turning the name over in my mind though. I think it's very beautiful in sound and like the meaning but am still unsure.

Chiara was a favorite of mine back in high school, but I had since forgotten about her and now she feels a bit dusty. Does anyone else find her a bit dated, or is this just me?

I'm also unsure about the name since there's such an obvious English parallel - Clara or Claire - that Chiara sounds a bit like we're trying too hard? Older brother has a very uncommon family name of European origin, so a name like Chiara would fit in with our family.

I'm not too concerned about spelling issues if we do go back to the US. I don't love the name spelled as Kiara.

I appreciate any comments!!
    Mama to I. M. (2017)
    Expecting #2 (a girl!) January 2020

eight current name contenders...no decisions

♂ backup: Caspar Nathanael

Personal musings: Eulalie Catherine • Ianthe Catalina • Cordelia Eveline • Beatrix Renata • Zinnia Solene • Cecily Morgana • Imogen Anaïs

Chiara is lovely! I like Chiara or Ciara (Gaelic spelling), & agree that Kiara is definitely not as pretty. I think it's sweet on a little one, but beautiful & sophisticated for a grown woman.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Daisy, Clementine, Greta, Eleanor, Adeline, Felicity

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Julian, Shiloh, Nolan

I really like Chiara! It might get a few mispronunciations, but for me, it's actually quite clear. It feels familiar but distinctive, pretty but tough!
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Scout Elodie
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Thinking about...
    Tyra Mabel|Skye Miriam|Lois Winter|Anya Ottillie
    Quinn Barnaby|Silas Peregrine|Teddy Linus|Klaus Raphael

I really love Chiara, it's got such a pretty sound!
    I admit to liking the spelling Kiara best, but if you don't love it then never mind!
    Hufflepuff. PhD Student. Cat Lover.
    Alice Marigold | Lucas Avery | Eliza Ruth | Isaac Sebastian
    Liora. Ya'ir. Yehudit. Lavan.

Dearest, Darling
    Eira Solstice * Posy Elizabeth * Cleo Adelaide * Cynthia Mairead * Noa Felicity
    Ivy Siofra * Freya Juliet * Mira Frances * Rhea Natalie (Ree-ah)*

Sweet, My Love
    * Simon Alexander * Oscar William * Everett Morgan * Spencer Lewis * Edward Benjamin
    * Milo Benedict * Rory James * Hugo Timothy * George Tobio (Toby-oh)

I don't see Chiara as dated at all, but definitely eurocentric. However, that isn't a bad thing. If big brother has a very European name, then I think Chiara would work beautifully.

Personally I've always associated Clara with Western Europe, and Claire with France specifically, so though I see Chiara as definitely Italian, I don't think it feels MORE European than Clara or Claire, just a different country of origin. Looking at your signature, it seems that underused, European names are your style, so I think you're correct that Chiara would fit right in with your family.
    M____, Chiara, Euan, and Ianthe, perhaps?

Chiara is gorgeous! I've always had a soft spot for her. It doesn't feel at all dated and does, in fact, feel fresh and modern. I agree that it gives off a very European vibe, which I like (I tend to gravitate more towards European sounding names for some reason, haha).
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    &
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Eden + Eilish + Indira + Linus
    GP Crushes: Azalea + Valeria + Oriana + Ossian + Cassander

I love the name Chiara and would have considered it for my daughter were it not already used in my extended family. I say go for it! Also, I used a French name for my daughter despite not being French so I personally don’t think it matters at all that you’re not Italian.

I think Chiara is lovely and doesn't feel dated at all to me.

I know a 4-year-old Chiara so it doesn't seem old to me at all. It's lovely!

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm definitely very happy to see the love for Chiara here...that definitely helps me feel more comfortable with the name
    Mama to I. M. (2017)
    Expecting #2 (a girl!) January 2020

eight current name contenders...no decisions

♂ backup: Caspar Nathanael

Personal musings: Eulalie Catherine • Ianthe Catalina • Cordelia Eveline • Beatrix Renata • Zinnia Solene • Cecily Morgana • Imogen Anaïs