Menu

Middle Name: Olive or Averial

If we have another girl, we are going to use family names from my side. One option is Averial (pronounced like Avery with an L at the end, "AY-vree-uhl").

I think Averial is okay, the sound is nice and it would work fine with a nature/word first name, but the fact that it has an unclear history irks me; is it derived from Avery? A misspelling of Avril or Averil? Any of those is possible, because my great grandmother used it after hearing it on a neighbor who was from Europe (not sure where in Europe) and that part of the family had a very interesting accent and it could easily be a phonetic interpretation. For example, my Great Great Great Aunt Olivia's name was pronounced "ah-LEE-vya" and I honestly didn't realize it was Olivia and not Alevia until I was an adult.

Anyway, thoughts on Averial? I prefer the idea that it's taken from Avery (meaning "ruler of elves") more than Avril ("April" in French) or Averill/Averil ("boar battle") but I don't know how much I can ignore the other possibilities.

Edit: our other option at the moment is Olive. I love Olive, but I don't like the idea of two word names in one combo, and the majority of my current list is nature names.
    Last edited by yellowplums; August 11th, 2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarification

As a middle, Averial is lovely! It's really distinctive, it honours family and it's interesting. I can imagine it working with lots of different firsts
    I love Olive as a name! Cute and quirky . I see it as more namey than wordy, but i can understand your concerns about using another word besides it
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Cherith Eliza
    Sloane Felicity|Flora Penelope|Juno Delilah|Lois Aurelia
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Otto Elias|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus|Jesse Peregrine

I really love Olive but I think Averial is quite wearable. Both also have a number of nickname options: Ollie, Liv, Livi, Ava, Vera, Ria, Ally. I don't think you can go wrong.
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

Though I'd hesitate to use Averial as a first, I think it'd be great in the middle! The mystery behind the name makes it that much more interesting, and the sound is appealing. Olive is cute, but I agree that it might be nice to have a non-word name in the middle if you're going with a word name for the first.
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters