Menu

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer as a brother for Cedar?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hawthorn

30 52.63%
  • Evren

27 47.37%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    As a native Turkish speaker (merhaba!), I really like Evren. It is perfect, just perfect! I’m not sure about Hawthorn, it doesn’t look like a name to me. For Turkish names, I like Derin, which means deep. Elyesa is also good, which is Turkish for Elijah. My all-time favourite is Tuna which is for River Danube, but I can’t use because of the fish!
    Just a british 13 y old who lives in Turkey and a regular 8th grade student.

Girls: Annabelle Evelina, Matilda Jeanne, Eve Lorraine, Dorothy Estelle, Anne Lavender, Marie Amoret, Blythe Rosemarie, Presley Skylin, Laelia Caroline, Florence Ethel
    Boys: Flynn Anderson, Louis Alden, Matthew Brooks, Asher Landon, Lincoln Wyatt, Elyesa Selim

Quote Originally Posted by scater View Post
    I find Cedar and Hawthorn a bit too matchy, as they are both nature and tree/bush names.

Cedar and Evren seem perfect to me. Both a bit unexpected but not unfamiliar (Cedar due to it being a word name and Evren due to its similarity to other names).
    I agree with this. Hawthorn is for sure my first pick, but since they’ll have a lot of years together growing up, I think there needs to be distinguishing between names.

I saw you love Cove. This is actually my first pick for you!!! I LOVE Cove. Cove Hawthorn is really cool. Great nature name combo and fits well with Cedar.

Evren isn’t my style, mostly because any nicknames are feminine to me (Ev, Evie, Wren, etc.) Totally my personal opinion on that one! I like Everest, which is a very neat name to go with Cedar as well.

Hawthorn matches way better with Ceder.
    Amber/American/25

~Gents~
    Caspian Micheal Arrow
    Issac Arthur Quill
    Phillip Noah Stone
    Frederick Wesley Quest
    Edward James Wilder
    Kip▪Mack▪Pip▪Rex▪Ward

~Ladies~
    Bridget Marie Story
    Cordelia Renee Poem
    Morgana Elizabeth Pearl
    Avalon Eloise Maple
    Mabel Anne Clover
    Jet▪Cody▪Moe▪Ollie▪Billie

I personally think Cedar and Hawthorn are too matchy. I'd only consider it if this is your last. Evren would be my pick. Will it get confused with Evan? Probably. But I have people I've known for years who still call me Stephanie (I'm a Tiffany). It's just not a big deal. As for not having Turkish heritage, I'd take more of an issue with it if you hadn't lived in Turkey. I just asked DH who is Iranian Azeri. He said he would think it was cool to have a non Turk appreciate the culture enough to use the name.

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17

I can't thank you guys enough for your thoughtful feedback!!! It's really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunniva View Post
    Was your mother a fan of Cedar before he was born and given that name, or did you not divulge it until after he was born? As Hawthorn (and Cedar) are word-y names, I imagine people might have that dislike/negativity due to not being able to see it on a person, but I'm sure once the little guys born and named, your mother will fast warm to it.
    You make a good point - thanks for that reminder. My mom is definitely into traditional names, and I think she even felt embarrassed to tell her friends her grandchild was named Cedar at first - but now Cedar just "is," and she adores him. Babysitting him now in fact

Quote Originally Posted by whitegardenia View Post
    I prefer Hawthorne and the nickname Thor over Hawk that is sometimes used.
    Both Thor and Hawk are kind of intense nicknames to me, but Hawk feels more aggressive somehow. I know a man named Thor who is this super shy, sweet skater dude, so that is my association (never seen the Marvel movies!).

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbuglove View Post
    I saw you love Cove. This is actually my first pick for you!!! I LOVE Cove. Cove Hawthorn is really cool. Great nature name combo and fits well with Cedar.
    I adore Cove, for similar reasons as Cedar - easy to spell and pronounce, familiar yet unusual nature name, etc. It's actually my top pick but sadly my husband decided to veto it. Maybe I will try to bring it up again I have like 3 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    As for not having Turkish heritage, I'd take more of an issue with it if you hadn't lived in Turkey. I just asked DH who is Iranian Azeri. He said he would think it was cool to have a non Turk appreciate the culture enough to use the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunniva View Post
    I adore Evren, but like you, I do wonder about...the idea of using a Turkish name without any link to the country or the culture. For you though, that's a little different, as you did live there - for how long were you there, would Evren be honoring the Turkish culture you experienced there and loved? I think only you can really decide on that front, though as you are questioning it now, might that be sign enough?
    Thank you for this feedback. My husband's first pick is Sequoyah (he wanted Sequoia if it were a girl - talk about a clear theme ) which I also think is a great name, but personally vetoed. Although I would love to honour the person who clearly played an important role in history (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah), with no Cherokee kinship, I feel that would be an appropriation by us.

I feel differently about Evren as I have a connection to Turkey/studied Turkish, and it is a "word" name (as opposed to being associated with a specific person). However I am still thinking about that and why I feel it is different. For sure when I meet someone named Evren, I assume (and so far have always been correct) that they are Turkish or have Turkish heritage.

Again - - thank you!!!!!!
    Mom to Cedar
    Expecting baby #2 Sept 2019; considering Hawthorn(e) or Cove but still looking...

p.s. It's interesting how there isn't really a consensus in the poll re: Hawthorn vs. Evren. I think it must just reflect the two different name styles, as they are pretty different. Hawthorn seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of name, whereas Evren is met with way more subdued responses.

Today I tried typing out the full name combinations on a few different baby announcement card templates and imagined sending them out to family, friends, coworkers. It was helpful - I would suggest it to anyone who is really debating between a few names. It actually makes me lean towards Hawthorne with an "e" at the end if we go with that one.

Anyway, still thinking but will update when we make the final decision!
    Mom to Cedar
    Expecting baby #2 Sept 2019; considering Hawthorn(e) or Cove but still looking...

I prefer Hawthorne and I love it with Cedar! Evren is fine, but I don’t like it so much with Cedar.
    Rachel Elise ~ ENFJ
    fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita
    my unexpected little is coming around February 26, 2020

considering
    Owen
    MadelineMaddie”, Maggie, Millie, Rosie, Stella, Tallulah, & Tessa

other loves
    Camille & Jane
    Archie, Callum, Colin, Dylan, Hugo, Jonah, & Oliver