Menu

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer as a brother for Cedar?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hawthorn

30 52.63%
  • Evren

27 47.37%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brother for Cedar, round 2: Hawthorn or Evren

Thanks again to those of you who gave feedback in my previous thread. This site helps so much.

I am due soon with boy #2 and my husband and I are SO indecisive. We have different naming styles so it’s hard to find another name we both love.

We’ve narrowed it down to Hawthorn or Evren. Both feel like they could work but we can’t decide one way or the other.

Hawthorn - we like all the nickname possibilities (would probably use Thor) and the theme/associations with hawthorn trees - but something is holding me back. A few people (like my mom) have shared very strong negative reactions to this name, which makes me pause. Is it *too* weird somehow? Too harsh?

Evren - Turkish name, means universe. Sound and meaning are appealing. We both like the name Wren but because it is used more for girls, this feels like a different way to get to that nickname. I do wonder if the name would get confused with Evan. I also wonder about the use of a Turkish name. I used to live in Turkey but neither of us have Turkish heritage.

Would appreciate your thoughts: which name do you prefer? Which goes better with Cedar? Any red flags? This will be our last child.

Once again, thank you so much.
    Mom to Cedar
    Expecting baby #2 Sept 2019; considering Hawthorn(e) or Cove but still looking...

I personally dont like the name Hawthorne. It sounds like a last name specifically and I wouldnt even use it as my last name.

Evren is cute, I like Evren Maxim alot.
    Delete this account, dont like my username.

I love the name Hawthorn! It's fantastic and very handsome.
    Alice Marigold | Agatha Noelle | Aurora Violet | Isabella Wren | Magdalena Ruby | Margot Felicity |
    Rosalie Moon | Serena Jasmine | Victoria Primrose | Valentina Skye

Alexander Matthias | Benjamin Arthur | Edmund Philip | Frederick Lewis | Gabriel Vincent | Henry Theodore |
    Liam Hawthorne | Lucas Nightingale | Sebastian Thomas | William Bravery

I think Hawthorn is a great name (Thor makes for a brilliant nickname) and I really love the sibling duo of Cedar & Hawthorn as they just fit together perfectly. Was your mother a fan of Cedar before he was born and given that name, or did you not divulge it until after he was born? As Hawthorn (and Cedar) are word-y names, I imagine people might have that dislike/negativity due to not being able to see it on a person, but I'm sure once the little guys born and named, your mother will fast warm to it.

I adore Evren, but like you, I do wonder about it being mistaken for Evan as well as the idea of using a Turkish name without any link to the country or the culture. For you though, that's a little different, as you did live there - for how long were you there, would Evren be honoring the Turkish culture you experienced there and loved? I think only you can really decide on that front, though as you are questioning it now, might that be sign enough? Also, I feel like Cedar & Evren are of different styles - they definitely work, but there is a style-gap there.

Puppy-Mama to my boys, Wynn & Cove

I prefer Hawthorne and the nickname Thor over Hawk that is sometimes used. I agree that Wren reads girl but I love the spelling Ren for a boy and there are numerous ways to get to it as a nickname. Some suggestions are SoREN and LawRENce but there are several.

I like Hawthorne. To me, it reads more literary than nature.

This is really tough. I very nearly voted for Hawthorn automatically but something stopped me and now i think i prefer Evren. There's something very appealing about the sounds and i love the meaning! It fits with Cedar to me
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Una Adele|Ezra Apollo|Sholto Felix
    Rethinking...
    Ilaria Winter|Ilaria Juno|Ilaria Mabel|Ilaria Pearl
    Scout Eliora|Scout Eleanora|Scout Mirabel|Scout Elodie

More|Vote

I adore Evren! I actually know one who is my age (18), and he wears it well. It fits in while standing out.

Little Laddies
    Judah Rafael Xiang
    Arthur Thiago Han
    Hugo Valentine Weizhe

Little Lassies
    Ayla Marigold Mingxia
    Sylvie Juniper Yanlin
    Indie Elowen Mei Hua
    Noa Vivienne Zhilan

I find Cedar and Hawthorn a bit too matchy, as they are both nature and tree/bush names.

Cedar and Evren seem perfect to me. Both a bit unexpected but not unfamiliar (Cedar due to it being a word name and Evren due to its similarity to other names).
    august olivia | aveline rue | cassia brooke
    eris magdalen | katherine mercy | lyra grace
    sage eliza | sophie adelais | stacy lilium

archer ~ asher ~ rowan
    siena ~ tessa ~ vienna

ansel gray | callan wilder | colm brooks
    jack evander | kit olivier | mattias oake
    reese october | senan reeve | soren vale

I prefer Evren. I don't think Hawthorn sounds harsh or bad, but two obvious nature names together is not my favorite. As for Evren - I wouldn't have known it was Turkish if you didn't say so, so I don't think that's a big deal, and I think the R sound is present enough that I don't think most people would hear Evan. I also think Evren and Cedar sound really nice together, and visually look good together.
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett