Menu

Boris for a dog (in England!)

I’m rescuing a puppy and his name is Boris! He’s only young so it’s an option to change it, but Every other name I’ve considered just doesn’t seem as fitting. Everyone I’ve spoken to has said “omg you can’t call him that!”

I live in England and I’m worried people will think that we’ve named him after our very unpopular new prime minister. I think I’ll get fed up with everyone making jokes about it whenever we go out.

Morris isn’t an option because it’s my brothers name. Also Norris just isn’t the same. I’m kind of over the whole old man name thing and I love the idea of a comedic name or an unusual but well known name. Our ideas at the moment are Humphrey, Merlin and Bumble (my name is Bea!)

What do you think? Should we change his name? What would you call him? He’s a small fair-haired terrier poodle mix.

On the one hand it’s just a dog. On the other, strangers at the dog park will likely assume you yourself named him after our lovely new PM.
    However, I can see an almost satirical element- Boris, don’t pee on the rug! Boris, don’t sniff the other dog’s butt!
    That alone would amuse me to no end.
    But overall, the hassle of the comments wouldn’t be worth it. I’d say change it (or shorten it to Bo?)
    The other options are all wonderful, I like Merlin most
    I met a poodle named Toodles once which is absolutely endearing!
    Milo Peter 2015

Otis Henry is here! 💞

I wouldn't presume it was after BoJo, but still, I would change it too. Don't worry about changing his name, dogs aren't like people, he doesnt identify with the name he just reaponds to the sound. Renaming dogs is easy.

I'm also over the old man names people give their pets, but I really like Merlin and Bumble!

If you feel like keeping it a B name, here's some suggestions:

Buddy
    Bowie
    Biscuit
    Bagel
    Buzz
    Blue
    Bingo
    Boone
    Bilbo
    Bugs
    Bones
    Bart
    Bandit
    Brew
    Bear

Bumble would be iconic seeing as your name is Bea, teehee.

There's Bruce that sounds like Boris.

Burnaby or Burnie
    Borneo?
    Brody
    Brandon
    Barney
    Berry
    ?