Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names You Changed Your Mind About

I haven't seen a thread like this on here before so forgive me if there is one already.

So, when I was younger (around 9-12) I had a VERY different idea of what names I liked than I do now (14). I'm curious to see if you had names you used to love but now dislike (and vice versa). You can provide reasons if you have them.

Names I liked but now dislike:

Eastella, Selkie, Ellea & Devonia - I have no idea how 10 year old me came up with those, but I was convinced my future daughters were going to have those names for over a year. Now that I'm older, I've realised that they are NOT good names for real people.

Jace - I found this name whilst scrolling through a baby names app and loved it and I think this might be the longest name crush I've ever had, but I just don't like it as much anymore.

Marlon - I used to love the song "When The Beat Drops Out" by Marlon Roudette (I still like it but not as much) and I thought his name was cool. I don't mind the name, but it's not a name I could use for a few reasons.

Isaiah - Some of you probably saw the thread I made on this name a few weeks ago and already know the reason - basically, I don't like the correct pronunciation of this name at all.

Names I disliked but now like:

Elijah - I disliked this name up until around this time last year, but after deciding this was a name I wanted to honour someone important to me with it's grown on me and would be my first choice for a son.

Jesse - I'm still not 100% sure about this, but I think it would be a meaningful middle name as Jesse was the name of someone important in my hometown's history, and if I don't end up living here when I'm older (which I doubt I will) it'll be a good middle name, but I still can't shake off the feeling that it's too feminine for a boy.

Sienna - I used to hate this name, but now it's one of my favourites. Go figure.

Susie - I didn't like this name as I don't usually like names that were popular before the 80s, but Susie grew on me. I still wouldn't use it, but it's definitely a name I like now.
    Kennedy Lucy Myfanwy <3 Elijah Alex Christopher

Skyla | Veronica | Ayla | Sienna | Aria
    Harper | Addiena | Lila | Haven | Nevaeh
    Rosalie | Macy | Jasmine | Willow | Adelaide

Hunter | Grayson | Sawyer | Jensen | Max
    Tanner | Atlas | Isaac | Landon | Zachary
    Ezra | Ryder | Kingston | Holden | Wilder

I have way too many of these; haha. I scratched Bernadette and Chanel off my list as I grew out of them since I liked them when I was a young child but they're way out of my comfort zone now. I also used to love Persephone until I heard the "proper" pronunciation - I always thought it was pronounced as "purse-eh-phone-ee" rather than "pur-seph-oh-nee". I also used to be a fan of Clara, but am now neutral on her.

Going in the other direction, names that I now love but used to hate or dislike are Jude, Anouk, Elspeth, Olympia, Lyra, Edith, Rafaela, Hesper, Isabel and Eden. I'm sure there are more but I can only think of these right now.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    Leo Xavier ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arthur James ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Danica + Sarina + Margarita "Marga" + Evander + Jude + Emiliano
    GP Crushes: Fantine + Despina + Keturah + Milas + Bertram + Rogelio

Ooh, I know this list is going to be smaller than what it should be but I have terrible memory on this stuff lol.

Liked but now dislike:

*Aidan= I used to really love this name. I think it is pretty obvious what happened here...
    * Alexandra= I used to think it was regal and strong but now it just sounds stuffy to me.
    *Anthony= This would've been my name if I was a boy, so I think I felt obligated to like it. Just not a fan.
    *Stacey= not sure why I don't care for it anymore but it just does nothing for me.

Disliked but now like:
    Sooooooo many names can fit under this list!! Mainly the old-fashioned sort. I used to think it was terrible for parents to name their kids Albert, Agatha, Martha, Edward, and so on, but now I love that style of name.
    Alyssa

Elim Nathaniel James due Feb 2020 <3

"Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself"~ Coco Chanel

Used to hate, now I like/love:

-Henry: Had a classmate with this name. As a kid it sounded like an old man’s name when all my classmates were named Michael, Brandon, Sarah, Brittany, etc. Now I really like it, but it doesn’t fit with my married name.

-Emery: My Grandpa’s name. Thought it was a horrible sounding old man name as a kid. Now I think it is cool for a little girl or boy.

-Charles: Used to think it sounded so stuffy, but I love it especially with Charlie as a nickname.

-Jack: I thought it was so bland. But I love how solidly classic it is now. But it is getting so popular.

-Cora: My Grandma’s nickname. I thought it sounded old. Are we seeing a theme here? But I really like it now and would love to meet a little Cora.

-Sigrid: My other Grandma’s name. I hated the sound of it and thought it was a weird name. But I think it is actually cool, not heard much in the US, but not too unfamiliar because of its similarity to Ingrid.

Names I used to love:

-Raven: When I was going through a wannabe goth phase as a kid. Still a nice name, just not something I could imagine on any child of mine.

-Sonia: Still like, but my Dad can’t pronounce it to save his life.

-Megan: Was a friend’s name in elementary school. It is a nice name, but sounds very 80’s/90’s now.

-Renee: Elementary school best friend’s name. Nothing wrong with this name, it just doesn’t have make me feel the way it used to anymore.

-Aiden, Jackson, Ava, Mia, Emily, Ella, Liam, Oliver, Isabella: I still like them all, they just got so popular.
    Samuel Dean 2017

Names for Future Baby #2

Boys Names
    *Charles Hendrix (nn Charlie)*
    *Maxwell Aaron (nn Max)*
    *Gavin*

Middle Possibilities: *Arthur*Aaron*Ellis*James*

Girls Names
    *Violet Coralie*
    *Rosalie Rey (nn Rose, Rosie)*
    *Clara*Gemma*

Middle Possibilities:
    *Coralie*Genevieve*Rosalie*Josephine*Rey*

I have loved Scarlett for 10+ years and always pictured a daughter named Scarlett!
    I was always terrified it would get too popular for my liking before I could use it.
    Then an acquaintance used it and it kind of lost its appeal. (All our friends are friends with them/know of them)
    We used Scout instead for our little girl, and I was tempted to use Scarlett with Scout as a NN but I don’t think anyone would have used the nickname but my husband and I. And I think I realised that my taste is a bit more “out there” once I was actually pregnant!
    Scout Valentine - 08/02/2019

The girls - Scout valentine / Sonnet Faye / Alba Violet / Scotland Georgia / Alaska Bree / Olena Bloom / Scarlett Love / Goldie Vivienne / Lake Varvara / Neva vienna / Echo Evie / Navy Jane

The boys - Atticus John / Theodore Vale / Hunter Beckham / Huxley Cove / Romeo Joshua / Cruz November / River Otis / Memphis October /

Honour names - John, Betty, Winifred, Adam, Yvette, Georgia, Bree, Faye,

When I was a teenager, I loved "cool" English names like Ashley, Vicky, Taylor and Walker (I grew up in Scandinavia).

I'm now 30 and my list of names looks completely different: much more names from my own heritage, less "obvious", international names.

Names I used to like, now not so much, for different reasons: Henning, Sverre, Max, Paddy, James, Laurence, Raphael, Barbara, Beata, Teresa, Amanda, Rosa, Martha

Names that have grown on me and that I used to dislike: Kit, Florent, Thure, Holger, Egon, Lilac, Eulalia, Peony.
    Mother to Hjörtur Emmanuel & baby due November 2019

Baltasar Óli * Torfi Magnus * Vignir Ulysses * Iser Hafni * Noam Flóvent * Johann Zohar * Salomon Fálki * Sumarliði Meyer * Efraim Breki
    Ondine Beatrice * Greta Yardena * Meital Johanna * Ebba Lilitu * Magdalene Lilac * Perle Kornelia * Netta Nineveh * Ísrún Emilia * Sumarlína Freyde

Víkingur * Ragnar * Addai * Dov * Bergur * Kjartan * Diethard * Mattias
    Zusa * Aramina * Eugenia * Karolina * Marganita * Elisabet * Júlirós

Lately I've been very adventurous with my naming style so it has changed drastically. I used to like more "normal" names and now I like the more unique names.

Names I used to hate but now love:
    Clementine: I thought it was too girly and kinda weird looking (i have no idea why), but now I think of it as a bright, happy name
    Daisy: I used to think it was too bland, overused, and plain but recently I've fallen in love with it
    Persephone (and most other mythological names): I just thought they were too odd and too hard to live up to for a child, but I just love the uniqueness and the sounds too much
    Elias: for me it was too close to Elijah (a name i very much dislike- sorry) but now I see it as it's own name, not just a variation
    Peter: too common but I love the meaning and plus it's an honor name

Name I used to love but now dislike:
    Athena: someone in my fam used it and it's just too well known for me
    Madeline: too overused plus I know a person know with the name...
    Maya: it's eh. I would never use it but it's still on my list
    Harrison: I don't really dislike it, it just isn't my favorite
    Joseph/Joey: too popular
    Josiah: I don't know why I dont like it anymore, I just don't
    Phoenix: it used to be a huge GP of mine, and it's still on my list, just don't much like it anymore
    Emma Louise

⚠️Under Construction⚠️

Wee Warriors
    Emerson Wildflower Louise . Persephone Moon Louise

Wee Laddies
    Finian Nate Alexander . Keegan Flint Wolfskill . Koda Nathaniel Paxton . Paxton Nate Alexander . Shepherd Hasselbach Hayes

〉〉Honors Italicized〈〈

〉〉More Names〈〈

Names I liked but now don't ......
    Christian
    Emily
    Fawn
    Harley
    Jacqueline
    Kyle
    Lucas
    Madison
    Sean
    Victoria

Names I didn't like but now do .....
    Amelia
    Declan
    Eli
    Griffin
    Helena
    Kathleen
    Leo
    Norris
    Orion
    Patience
    Winter

Names I have always loved and still do .....
    Brenna
    Donovan
    Elizabeth
    Gillian
    Harper
    Ivory
    Jeremiah
    Lorelei
    Morgan (girl)
    Nathaniel
    Oliver
    Rose or any Rose variation
    Sebastian
    Teresa
    Vincent
    William

Names I used to like but now dislike...

Adeline - still do like this name somewhat, the popularity kinda ruins it for me.
    Hailey - its a cute name but seeing all the different spellings/variations got too much for me (like Hayleigh, Hailee, Hayley, Hailie, etc.)
    Phoebe - I just dont love the sound of it as much anymore.
    Georgia - cute name, saw someone spell it Jorja and kinda ruined it :/
    Aaron - met a really rude guy with this name and I’m just not really a fan anymore.
    Everly - thought it was pretty cute.. until 3 people that I know named their daughters Everly/Everleigh.
    Autumn & Winter - as a child I was so deadset on naming my daughter one of these, now I think season names are a little tacky/overdone.

Names I used to dislike but now are growing on me...

Margot - anyone who has been on here may know about my disliking for Margot (for fear that it looks too much like “maggot”), but if I’m being honest, Margot is now one of my favourite names. I’ve been able to overlook the maggot thing, and now consider it a beautiful name.
    Sophie - I’ve always thought it was too overrused, now I think it’s a really cute name!
    Morgan - Never really liked this name until recently, prefer it on a girl though.
    Charlotte - I’ve done a complete 180 on this name, I used to despise it but now I cant get it out of my head! It’s one that I would actually use irl.
    Nolan - after getting over my negative connotations with this name, I actually really like it!
    Clementine - used to love this name as a child, then thought this was the worst name ever until recently and now it’s grown on me as a guilty pleasure.
    Last edited by asunflower; August 11th, 2019 at 10:48 PM.
    annabelle | teenberry | dog mom to cassie

planning ahead:

genevieve ophelia | maeve rosalind | ines victoria | elizabeth june | madeleine tessa | elodie pearl | wilhelmina bea “mina” | margot philippa | arden cordelia | teagan stella

sebastian leo | philip tobias | august james | clark alexander | harrison samuel | asa maxwell | seamus john | cillian arthur | quentin thomas | reid ellis

names without middles: nolan | sawyer | myles | cian | luca | niamh | saoirse | michaela

My style used to be more traditional and old-fashioned for girls' names, with a dislike for anything more modern, but now my style has totally flipped.

Names I used to dislike that have grown on me: Ivy, Hazel, Harley, Eloise, Laela, Dylan
    Names I used to like and now dislike: Frances, Lavender, Dorothy, Juniper, Rosemary

My boys' favorites have always stayed pretty much the same haha
    Elliott Jude / Rowan Gabriel
    God on High; Praise / Little Red-Haired One; God is my Strength
    Cecelia Noelle / Skye Adeline
    Love is Blind*; Christmastime / Adventurous; Noble or Nobility

Eleanor Rose - Matilda Gretel - Harley Eloise
    Briar Lillian - Piper Joy - Aspen Olivia
    Ivy Belle - Dylan Elise - Caroline Margaret

Oliver Henry - Sawyer Jonas - Brooks Isaiah
    Hudson Kai - Emmett Reese - Everest Jack
    Keegan John - Toby George - Archer Phillip

*modified with a positive spin