Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which is your favourite from our top 4?

Our shortlist for boys:

Jacob/Jake
    Hugh
    Caspar
    Brodie

What do you think of these names, and which is your favourite?

Thanks!

Hugh is my favorite, with Caspar coming in second. Jacob is fine, but just a little boring to me and slightly dated in my eyes as well. And Brodie, I’ve just always had a strong distaste for for some reason. If you do go with Brodie, I would recommend the Brody spelling just because it’s more common and I think it would get misspelled less, if that’s an issue for you.
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

I like Brodie and Jake (Jacob). Hugh seems a little stuffy to me, and Caspar still makes me think of the ghost. Without that association, it'd probably be my favorite!
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

Hugh is my favourite but I love them all apart from Brodie, which isn't really my cup of tea.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    &
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Eden + Eilish + Indira + Linus
    GP Crushes: Azalea + Valeria + Oriana + Ossian + Cassander

Definitely Jake!

Caspar is definitely my favourite of the four -- easily recognisable, yet a little offbeat. It's great.

Gaia . Atlas . Freyja . Emrys . Aviva . August . Juno . Freyr . Ariadne . Octavian . Sarai . Dawson . Nimue
    Ambrose . Sunniva . Aurelian . Artemisia . Hawthorne . Idony . Jesper . Leocadia . Peregrine . Amity . Wren
    Juniper . Ari . Adelaide . Tadhg . Ianthe . Jessamy . Galateia . Blythe . Noa . Malachy . Athena . Atticus

I love Brodie and Caspar!!
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Cherith Eliza
    Sloane Felicity|Flora Penelope|Juno Delilah|Lois Aurelia
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Otto Elias|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus|Jesse Peregrine

Jacob/Jake - I would use Jacob as the full name, this is my favorite out of your list.
    Hugh - Not a bad name, it's just sort of quiet?? It seems to lack substance
    Caspar - It's okay, just not really my favorite
    Brodie - Feels too 90s/00s/frat boy to me
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

Definitely Caspar, followed by Jake. I can’t say I like Brodie or Hugh, although I do love Hugo!

Lightbulb

I like Caspar best - that Scandinavian feel, sleek and stylish. I like the double A spelling - based on the traditional Persian version ( ) Gaspar?? I will have to check on that! You may have to correct on spelling for a while but as a holder of an alternatively spelled name myself - I learned to embrace it early and now I love that it sets me apart a bit. Yes adults may mention the ghost association, but other kids his age won't know it! It's not a negative association either, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of the name - it's gorgeous.

My second favourite is Brodie. It's known but not common and has that Gaelic flair without the difficult spelling. Yes you can spell it with a Y but I like the traditional IE and I think most people will assume IE first over the Y.

Brodie only just wins out over Hugh for me though!
    Mainly because I feel that Hugh is just a little insubstantial in sound - no hard edges if you know what I mean! This is partly based on pairing with *my* surname in my head though, (ending in O) it lacks enough interest for me sound-wise. If you have a longer surname with lots of consonants, Hugh would probably pair beautifully!
    I personally prefer Hugo to Hugh - more oomph!

Jacob is very nice but a bit too common for me - I think I had at least 4 Jacob's in my year at school! Not a fan of Jake as a given name though, not my style. Jacob is a lovely classic name however, so really can't fault any of these options!

All the best with your choice