Menu

When Did You Want Kids?

What age did you/ do you want to have kids? And what age did you end up having them? I always wanted my first between 20-23 and would be told by others to wait until I’m in my late twenties - early thirties.

And do you think you were ready to have a baby when you did?

I was "one of those" who always wanted to be a mom when I grew up lol. Women in my family always had their first kid relatively young (18-20ish), so I figured it would happen for me around then, too. Things don't always go according to plan, though. I'm 26 right now and will turn 27 a few months after my son is born.

I don't know if anyone ever feels or is completely ready, honestly. I don't know if we are in some ways (for instance, financially) but I can say that I feel more ready emotionally than I did when we first starting trying at 22.
    Alyssa

Elim Nathaniel James due Feb 2020 <3

"Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself"~ Coco Chanel

I was also “one of those” (lol, too funny to pass up!), but I wanted kids when I was in my late twenties-early thirties. Instead, life happened and now I will have juuust turned 20 when baby is born.

No, I absolutely do not feel ready. There’s a lot going on right now that I was not expecting to ever have to deal with (for example: single parenthood and the emotions and issues that come with that, really going that to have to save and live pay check to pay check, being as young as I am in general and the emotions and issues that come with that lol). I know it’ll all end up being fine, but dealing with these things in the moment is rough. Names are a nice little (now) practical, but fun escape from all that right now
    Last edited by sugarplum.fairy; August 2nd, 2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Rachel Elise ~ ENFJ
    fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita
    my unexpected little is coming around February 26, 2020

considering
    Owen
    MadelineMaddie”, Maggie, Millie, Rosie, Stella, Tallulah, & Tessa

other loves
    Camille & Jane
    Archie, Callum, Colin, Dylan, Hugo, Jonah, & Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplum.fairy View Post
    I was also “one of those” (lol, too funny to pass up!), but I wanted kids when I was in my late twenties-early thirties. Instead, life happened and now I will have juuust turned 20 when baby is born.

No, I absolutely do not feel ready. There’s a lot going on right now that I was not expecting to ever have to deal with (for example: single parenthood and the emotions and issues that come with that, really going that to have to save and live pay check to pay check, being as young as I am in general and the emotions and issues that come with that lol). I know it’ll all end up being fine, but dealing with these things in the moment is rough. Names are a nice little (now) practical, but fun escape from all that right now
    You are going to do great! I was in a similar situation financially but like you said, everything ended up fine in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by namergirl3 View Post
    I was "one of those" who always wanted to be a mom when I grew up lol. Women in my family always had their first kid relatively young (18-20ish), so I figured it would happen for me around then, too. Things don't always go according to plan, though. I'm 26 right now and will turn 27 a few months after my son is born.

I don't know if anyone ever feels or is completely ready, honestly. I don't know if we are in some ways (for instance, financially) but I can say that I feel more ready emotionally than I did when we first starting trying at 22.
    Congratulations on your son!

I knew I want kids since I was 8. If I got my wishes then I'd start having them as early as 22-23, but alas, life happened differently. Now I am 27 and it seems like I still need to wait until I am in my 30s.

To be fair though, although I wanted it at 22-23 I wasn't ready financially, I didn't live in an environment where I want to raise my child in, and I didn't have a stable relationship yet. So I guess the wait was necessary. I just can't help but feeling sad about it.
    Last edited by luneth; August 11th, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
    Luna.

Cherished top 10:
    Seraphina, Evangeline, Isabelle, Aurelia, Valentina, Violetta, Rosalind, Vanessa, Catalina, Helena
    Leon, Felix, Gabriel, Magnus, Caspian, Edmund, Cedric, James, Gideon, Francis

Latest crush:
    Leif Ansel | Lucie Angharad

Realistically, I wanted kids around 26-32, when I had a steady job, a steady boyfriend/husband, a house and a car. But I'm 22, single and living at home and now pregnant soooo... guess it didn't go to plan, lol! I'm not ready but who ever is?

e.
    lil bean due april 2020

previously eoxima

I was not at all interested in having kids - never babysat, never dreamed about becoming a mother - until I moved into room in a house owned by a young single mom and her then-four-year-old son. I was 20 and she was maybe twenty-five? Living with them taught me so much about parental love, and the realities of raising a small kid, and that brief period in my life is what awakened me to the possibility of parenthood for myself. I was actually in the early phases of planning to become a single mother by choice when I met my current partner, and I had our son when I was 27. Looking back, we were not "ready" to start having kids but we did, and our three-year-old is so lovely and funny and cool.
    Trying out:
    PASCAL * MALCOLM * emeric * collier
    beatrix * claudia * ELSPETH * POMONA