Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Valentina Vs Vale

Hi All! My husband and I are really considering Vale or Valentina for a third girl.
    Valentina has always been on our list but we went more nature and less romantic with our first 2 girls.

I really, really love both of these names. My husband prefers Vale but would be happy with Valentina. I think I would choose Valentina over Vale but Vale fits with our girls' names and Valentina does not. Our families would much prefer Valentina--because they love the nn "Val." But do comment on the fact that it does not match the same style as our girls. If I want to call her Vale then I need to just name her Vale because it would be extremely difficult to enforce vale over val; however, I am not opposed to valley, leni, or valen for nicknames to valentina.

Should I stick with the nature names and go for Vale or go with the more popular Valentina even though it does not exactly fit in. We do have an italian last name so at least that would make Valentina more acceptable.

I'd go with Valentina - i like how grand yet smooth it feels. Valley is a cute, naturey nickname too
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Cherith Eliza
    Sloane Felicity|Flora Penelope|Juno Delilah|Lois Aurelia
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Otto Elias|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus|Jesse Peregrine

I see your dilemma--both names have a lot of appeal for different reasons. I really like the idea of planning to use Valley as a nickname for Valentina to make it flow with the sister names on a daily basis. If it turns out Valentina in full really suits your daughter better, well then, you will have made the right choice even if it doesn't coordinate.
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

I love Valentina, especially with an Italian last name. Vale is boring...sorry...

It's always more important to pick the name that you love over how well it matches with siblings, and IMO it's also more unexpected! Valentina is a beautiful name, and you can always call her Vale for short so you still have the nature element.
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

I much prefer the gorgeous Valentina

Little Laddies
    Asa Peregrine Jude
    Jasper Leo Augustin
    Bruno Sebastian Wilde
    Arthur Jules Hawthorn

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Ada Juniper
    Thea Marigold Noor
    June Eliza Primrose
    Etta Wildflower Jane

I adore Valentina but I think in this case I'd probably use Vale, if that's what really fits better, and what you'd likely call her anyway. If it were my first child, I'd use Valentina.

I would suggest you use whichever option doesn't give you a nagging "but..." feeling. "We used Valentina, BUT... her sisters are River and Aspen." Or, "We named her Vale, BUT... our favorite was really Valentina." Which statement feels more true? Go with the name that you question less.

Also, someone suggested Valley as a nickname, which I think could actually make a beautiful first name, and get the nickname Val that your family loves.

I’d definitely go with Valentina, it’s beautiful and will give her so many options as she grows up!
    Proud Mama to LCW (2018)

Names on my mind:
    Ada, Alice, Aurora, Callista, Cecilia, Claire, Colette, Edith, Elisabeth, Emilia, Estelle, Florence, Georgia, Genevieve, Harriet, Lillian, Mae, Madeleine, Margot, Marlowe, Sylvie, Quinn, Theresa, Winifred.
    Amos, Arthur, Benjamin, Bryce, Calvin, Darcy, Edward, Elias, Everett, Evander, Ezra, Finley, Francis, Frederic, Henry, Hugo, James, Joseph, Julian, Lawrence, Leonardo, Miles, Oliver, Raphael, Rory, Simon, Sebastian, Theo, Thomas, Tobias.

Oh no no no, go with Vale! It's a much nicer name than Valentina, to me anyway. And I think that using the name that fits with your other daughters' could be important to her when she gets older.

Please go with Vale!